Why become a member? ×

The Strangest Gear Demonstration Video You'll Ever Watch!

3 minutes ago, Bleat said:

Hopefully mine will end at the bit where Zender pulls his signature pedal out of his pocket and repeatedly demands in a loud German accent that Warwick guy gives us a demo of it.

The drummer from the Zender video thrown in for good measure and poorly executed grooves

• Like 1

On 07/03/2023 at 22:53, Hellzero said:

If you want to hear a lefty 12 strings (no octave) fretless bass player in tune and having something to say, better watch this:

Yves is such a top, top musician. I love his lyrical style...

A few years back, he did a version of 'Teen Town' on a two string Bass (which you have no doubt heard, I should imagine).

:D

8 hours ago, lowdown said:

A few years back, he did a version of 'Teen Town' on a two string Bass (which you have no doubt heard, I should imagine).

His clever way of saying:

- People: "But Jaco only needed four strings!"

- "Hold my beer..."

?

;)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lowdown said:

Of course, you imagine quite well, I've watched or heard almost everything he's made and can also recommend his album with Michael Manring and Dominique Di Piazza, which is not permanent show off, but virtuosity.

I also owned a Noguera YC 8 fretless, what an excellent bass, but sometimes friends can push you to a sale...

Yves even sold me some sets of strings for the bass and gave me a few advices on how to use the bass and why is tuning it lower.

• Thanks 1

I used to speak to Yves every now and then back when I had Facebook. Him and Jean Baudin are the reason I play ERB and really why Binky came into existence. He then ordered a 2 string bass from Jon Letts. He's of course dead to me now...

Edited by binky_bass
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I used to speak to Yves every now and then back when I had Facebook. Him and Jean Baudin are the reason I play ERB and really why Binky came into existence. He then ordered a 2 string bass from Jon Letts. He's of course dead to me now...

2-string can still be ERB if it’s long enough :)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jonnybass said:

Both the 7 string and the sender clips are just odd. They both leave me with the same question…filming it is one thing..but then to edit and upload them?? Really???

anyway I’m off to listen to space cowboy 

It’s the new normal, the only thing worse than having stinky poo content on the internet is not having stinky poo content on the internet 👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jonnybass said:

Both the 7 string and the sender clips are just odd. They both leave me with the same question…filming it is one thing..but then to edit and upload them?? Really???

anyway I’m off to listen to space cowboy 

in fact I’m thinking if buying an Ibanez SRAS7 and uploading a regular Masterclass 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, greentext said:

Also if we are talking other awkward bass interviews, this one from Thomann with Stuart Zender is the cringest of the cringe and just everything about it is terrible.

Stuart comes across as a complete and utter idiot here. Assume he’s probably tired and frustrated, but it’s not a good look.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Stuart comes across as a complete and utter idiot here. Assume he’s probably tired and frustrated, but it’s not a good look.

Imagine being in a room with him and Jay Kay then 😩

• Haha 2

Going back to the original vid, the interviewer seems to be absolutely spellbound by this guy’s aimless slides and ill advised plonking. I actually wonder if he’s being sarcastic - watch it again with that in mind and it’s even funnier 

29 minutes ago, ped said:

Going back to the original vid, the interviewer seems to be absolutely spellbound by this guy’s aimless slides and ill advised plonking. I actually wonder if he’s being sarcastic - watch it again with that in mind and it’s even funnier 

He was 100% sarcastic which is why I warmed to John 👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bleat said:

Did you have the same dream as me then ? 😳

I think so, I mean everything was a bit of a blur but I think John Hall was there too, reading out the emails he sent me

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2023 at 10:04, Chris2112 said:

Obviously the guy has spent thousands and thousands on this bass without the chops to get to grips with it, but that's nothing new. Everyone will have seen players who have walls of Alembics yet nothing more exciting than three chord blues. I hope he is getting on better with it now but I expect that it's probably being used as an ornament. 

I fail to understand the connection with bass ownership and musical prowess. There is nothing that mandates a certain level of musicianship being required to own any musical instrument. Surely it's personal choice isn't it? For example a friend of mine's dad bought him a Gibson Les Paul when he decided to learn guitar as a teenager. Buy what you like, life is too short. I play alembic in a reggae band and often there are only two chords. 👍🏾😂🎶🔊😁.

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

I fail to uinderstand the connection with bass and musical prowess. There is nothing that mandates a certain level of musicianship being required to own any musical instrument. Surely it's personal choice isn't it? For example a friend of mine's dad bought him a Gibson Les Paul when he decided to learn guitar as a teenager. Buy what you like, life is too short. I play alembic in a reggae band and often there are only two chords. 👍🏾😂🎶🔊😁.

Yeah I agree with this, there's no "chops" requirement to own any level of instrument. The guy in the video can play decently enough too, does some fast metal w/pick passages in his videos and sounds very good doing it. He's just not a fretless fingerstyle player yet so understandably sounds like he hasn't got to grips with it.

I wish I had the spare cash lying around to justify splurging 5 figures on a bass unsuited to my gigs and playing style, hell of a bass to learn fretless on that's for sure!

On 07/03/2023 at 20:42, wateroftyne said:

Next thing you know it'll be James Corden doing a demo of an F-22 Raptor.

I could happily watch that. As long as nobody shows him where the eject handles are.