Why become a member? ×

Daisy And The Six

Happy Jack

I don't know, the performances are great, and the story is interesting enough, but I can't help thinking that the original songs composed for the show just aren't very good...

Maybe they are going to get better as the show progresses to indicate the growing experience of the band, the song at the end of the 3rd episode isn't bad. 

That would be quite impressive...

I'll probably watch all of it, but Spinal Tap is the only mockumentary I can think of with "decent" songs and they were all pisstakes.

I'm really enjoying it! Some of the lead actor's performances are really good... I think the original tunes are OK too. 

A few cheesy moments so far, but it's difficult to portray musical inspiration and chemistry well in a drama.

And what's not to like about a TV show that's about music? 

The choice of a Patti Smith song as the show's theme song was a surprise, but it's a great song! 

Looking forward to e.4 already... 

I read the book, and thought at the time it was destined to be a film or tv series! Might give it a go, though I found the book slightly annoying in the egomania stakes - I'll bet this doesn't tone it down! and mixing that with 70s style MOR might be pushing it just a little to far for li'l ol' me!

Anyway:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/mar/03/daisy-jones-the-six-review-not-even-elviss-grandkid-can-save-this-70s-rocknroll-saga

6 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I read the book, and thought at the time it was destined to be a film or tv series! Might give it a go, though I found the book slightly annoying in the egomania stakes - I'll bet this doesn't tone it down! and mixing that with 70s style MOR might be pushing it just a little to far for li'l ol' me!

Anyway:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/mar/03/daisy-jones-the-six-review-not-even-elviss-grandkid-can-save-this-70s-rocknroll-saga

There you go, Mumford's on the songwriting team... I knew I detected his dreary style... 😉

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Just watched episode 1... clichéd cheese, glossy but empty. Not quite The Dirt but not too far off. I was expecting more.

I still want to see what happens so I'll give the next episode a go - hopefully the shine wears off and things get a bit grittier and uglier. 

It’s a pastiche stitched together with every cliche under the sun. I am enjoying it despite having more cheese than a fondue.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

It reminds me a bit of Almost Famous, and I'm enjoying all of the 70s visuals as someone who wasn't around then.

A film I have a fair amount of affection for.

• Like 5