Why become a member? ×

NBD: Holy Grail Bass

admiralchew

So glad it worked out! Enjoy! That is a stunning piece of shedua - well, two stunning pieces, front and back. Shedua used to be one of the standard wood options included in the base price but a few years ago Paul changed it to an upcharge - using zebrano as a standard facing instead. The reason was that good flamed pieces were becoming harder to find and he didn’t want to offer the bog standard plain tops. But the upside is that, since it’s an extra charge he now only sources really special, super funky looking, high quality pieces - like you’ve got on yours.

And yes, as the angle of the light changes the flame does move. It’s quite a stunning effect and absolutely gorgeous without being blousy like, say, a PRS-style quilted maple.

Gorgeous, gorgeous bass. Enjoy exploring the tones you can get from that preamp!

Edited by TrevorR
Rubish spellign ;)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Lw. said:

Sold a flat (in London?) to buy a bass. I applaud you - that is next level commitment to the gas! 

Haha, that’s not exactly how I would characterise it - I was selling my flat anyway for non-bass-related reasons - but the commitment to the gas is definitely there.

Thanks everybody for the kind comments, and to @TrevorR for the endless resources of Wal knowledge!

59 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Hope you have insurance. 

Yes, too right. Happily I didn’t pay as much as some of the Wals that have been sold recently in the stores so I insured it for its purchase value. It does mean that I’d struggle to get another though. I also have a non-Wal case for it as walking around with a Wal logo seemed like an invitation for trouble.

• Like 2

My case says Wal on it. Most people haven't a clue what it means.

I get asked " is that a Warwick"?  " Who made that?"

Even a professional jazz bass player asked me what it was at a jam session.... before begging a go on it.

Disappointing but reassuring lack of recognition!

Anyway WE know exactly what it is and are very pleased for you.  What year?  Did you get it / check it on the Wal database?

http://www.nedcom.nl/WAL/

PS: Good to see a tool fan not insisting on Maple facing, only 4-strings, mk2 body.  You chose wisely imo 😉

Edited by NickA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TrevorG said:

It really does take your breath away. What a stunning bass. Can ask how much it cost?

Id say that if you looked at one of the dangly things hanging from your shoulder and one hanging from your bum, it would be about that expensive. 😄

• Haha 3