Why become a member? ×

Hot stages / sweaty hands / flatwound strings - a problem?

ingmar808

I've recently gotten into flats, and am about to return to gigging. The last gig I played (a few years ago) so incredibly hot and sweaty I had trouble holding down some notes. And that was with roundwound strings!

I'm assuming it'd be even worse with flats - but I've never heard anyone else mentioning this as a problem.

Is this combination a recipe for disaster, or am I overthinking it? What are your experiences?

It's definitely worse with flats, perhaps counterintuitively.

But a flat has more of the surface area in contact with the finger, so depending on the material the flat is made from and the way it is made it can either be really slippy or it can actually grip more.

I discovered this when I tried some La Bella Low Tension Flats last summer in the run up to some outdoor gigs in the sun. They were awful. It was like the strings were covered in glue. I was putting Fast Fret on for each tune, and sometimes during a tune if there was a few bars when I wasn't playing. Over the 'board and where I was plucking.

I swapped them for Ernie Ball Group iv flats (not the cobalts) and the problem actually went a bit the other way - a bit too slippy. But I'll take a bit slippy over glue any day! 

I've still got EB's on my 4 string as I love the sound of them, but I've gone back to rounds on my 5 string so I've always got a choice. Easy enough to put some foam under the strings to make them a little more flat like in sound.

4 hours ago, ingmar808 said:

. . . . The last gig I played (a few years ago) so incredibly hot and sweaty I had trouble holding down some notes.

Do you mean you're fingers are slipping off the strings? That would be a problem with your playing and not the strings.

6 hours ago, ingmar808 said:

Is this combination a recipe for disaster, or am I overthinking it? What are your experiences?

I remember when I first swapped out to flats on my p-bass from rounds and the tech said to me 'oh you know you will overshot every note when you first play these as its less friction?' I was panicking like crazy beforehand and wanted to default to my backup rounds but I didnt. 

I had my first gig that night after never playing flats and was fine tbh, I just didn't think about it and got into the groove and I was off. For me it was all in my head and once I was out there it was just something I managed and was aware of but not obsessing over. 

I have a couple of basses I favour for live indoor work to avoided the sweaty hand grabbing problem with the neck, never noticed any difference between strings personally.  I have an old Skol bar towel, doubtless highly collectable now, that I keep for wiping my hands of even the neck occasionally between songs.

• Like 1

It's what yer trousers are for! (Well that and to maintain modesty!). Wipe your hands on your trouser legs in parts of the song you're not playing and then use a towel (as mentioned above) between songs. I hang mine through the handle on the side on my cab.

I guess Prince Andrew has never had this problem..

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I'd advise against rosin. It's intended to make things sticky. That's why we use it on our violin bows. 

Ok, well I didn't know about that side effect but lots of pro sports people use it to reduce sweat and moisture.

Edited by TheLowDown