Why become a member? ×

What's your 'Hey, the bass player's here' lick?

Beedster

Nothing specific......

typically I'd play all across the bass to ensure the EQ is set right for the room and correct volume - typically it'd be bits of scales / arpeggios etc, hit the 'dirty' switch to make sure the OD is set ok and EQ'd ok also etc.

That's usually me done except for soundcheck - if we're doing drum / bass soundcheck then we might chuck in some of Donny Hathaway's 'The Ghetto', or maybe 'I'm a mover' by Free, or even 'Canned Heat' by Jamiroquoi - for full band s/check it would likely be something like 'The Weight' by the Band that has all vocals, plus guitars and keys also.

I'll warm up backstage.

For me it’s usually the bass line from Thin Lizzy’s Dancing in the Moonlight. If I’m trying a bass out in a shop it’ll also be the bass li e from a couple of folk songs my band did back at university, just coz the muscle memory still means the notes naturally fall under my fingers.

And the French horn melody line from The Theme to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - which is a lovely tune. Only ever once had a shop assistant say, “Hey, wait a minute, is that…?”

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, gjones said:

The Sailors Hornpipe.

I heard some guy throw it casually into a bass solo once and I said to myself, 'That guy doesn't take himself too seriously but it still sounds cool'.

I think that would be Gerald Johnson playing with the Steve Miller band - 'threw some pretty cool shapes while he did it too.  I've seen it on some very old concert footage.  There's an allusion to it years back on Talkbass, with some footage of Gerald with Dave Mason - playing a P with a left-handed body and right-hand neck with the strings inverted.  Great player and very cool...):

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/shu-ba-da-du-ma-ma-ma-ma-on-midnight-special.883441/

I usually just play pentatonic scales or whatever song the band plays as a general sound check. We went through a period a few years ago where it seemed that at every club gig we played, the last song the DJ played before we went on was 'Simply the Best' so got into the habit of playing that bassline. I like the idea of playing Money - on of my favourite Floyd songs and one we occasionally play.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, upside downer said:

The three I'd usually pump out were Don't Give Me No Lip Child by Sex Pistols, She Bangs the Drums by Stone Roses and Bug Powder Dust by Bomb the Bass.

Oh man not heard bug powder in years, thanks!! The Kruder & Dorfmeister mix of it is legendary too.

• Like 1