Why become a member? ×

Guy Pratt with SBL

jezzaboy

• jezzaboy changed the title to Guy Pratt with SBL

Hey, thanks for posting! 🙌 ... this is the first in a series of this format and we had ZERO idea whether peeps would dig it or not. Thankfully, it's looking like they do :) 

We've actually already filmed another one w/ Henrik Linder, and also one w/ Rob Mullarkey and Richard Spaven... those will be released over the next few weeks over on the YouTube channel. 

Cheers, 

Scott 

• Like 32

Excellent interview - really entertaining and interesting. I seem incredible that people like Guy are as successful as they are and yet still get impostor syndrome. Its actually quite humbling and inspiring.

• Like 1

God No!!

I've seen several Mr Pratt interviews...the content has virtually been the same..."tell us when you tried to smash up a Status live on  stage" and "what was it like being in Pink Floyd" (even though nobody other than bass players know who he is). 

I can't watch another of his videos. 

Some of those little fills/licks are ace - what I enjoyed was that he basically says “I’ve had no formal Training, I taught myself…”

and these guys are asking him what he’s doing on certain bits.

Now, SD and the other chap are no slouches - but I love the idea that he’s done all that with graft and “right place right time”.

Not a reverse snobbery thing - just made me smile.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

I never had zoom down as pro gear. I may have to re-evaluate, cos they are great value for money (not that I'm a pro!)

He says around 31:30 that this is his 'B' board or nightclub board so I guess not concert or studio level kit. Still, good to know it work for someone of that experience!

• Like 1

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Now, SD and the other chap are no slouches - but I love the idea that he’s done all that with graft and “right place right time”.

So true - Scott and Ian are epic players and I dare say probably more technical than Guy.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, devinebass said:

Hey, thanks for posting! 🙌 ... this is the first in a series of this format and we had ZERO idea whether peeps would dig it or not. Thankfully, it's looking like they do :) 

We've actually already filmed another one w/ Henrik Linder, and also one w/ Rob Mullarkey and Richard Spaven... those will be released over the next few weeks over on the YouTube channel. 

Cheers, 

Scott 

Loved it. If I may suggest, Christian McBride would likely be good value too - good talker and a doubler.  McBride has performed and recorded with Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny, Joe Henderson, Diana Krall, Roy Haynes, Chick Corea, Wynton Marsalis, Sting, Paul McCartney, Celine Dion, Isaac Hayes,  Carly Simon, Bruce Hornsby, and James Brown.

Edited by lownote
  • Like 1

Oh... should have mentioned... if you'd like to see someone specific in this series, just pop their name in this thread or add a comment under the video over on YouTube. We're gonna go through all the comments this week and try and make a bunch of requested ones happen. 

Flea, Pino and Geddy are at the top of my list of peeps we're trying to get on... but any other requests are totally welcome!   

• Like 9

JPJ, Geezer Butler,  Justin Meldal-Johnsen, Tim Comerford....

I'm sure you'll get loads of bass players recommendations, but I'd also be interested to get my geek on and hear from others in the industry like amp or pedal manufacturers. Mark gooday or Alex Barefaced spring to mind just cos there UK based.

Edited by alexa3020
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

JPJ, Geezer Butler,  Justin Meldal-Johnsen, Tim Comerford....

I'm sure you'll get loads of bass players recommendations, but I'd also be interested to get my geek on and hear from others in the industry like amp or pedal manufacturers. Mark gooday or Alex Barefaced spring to mind just cos there UK based.

All four of those are great calls, especially JMJ. When you think of the eclectic host of artists he’s played with, much like Guy Pratt, there has to be some great stories and, again much like Guy, he has a well regarded signature bass.

• Like 1