Why become a member? ×

Compression.

DTB

Apart from the in built compressor on my old Hartke rig that I left abroad reluctantly years ago I’ve never used a compressor of any kind. 
I understand what they do but somehow think they are maybe used to cover up poor dynamics in technique or poor instrument string to string balance. (Please don’t shoot me down in flames I’m very sensitive.)

Can anyone name any famous players that are known for not using compression?

Should I just buy one and try it out. 
I like how the Boss pedal compressor adds a bit of top end sparkle. 

• Like 1

I don’t use compression live, have tried many times but just don’t like it.

However for home practice I like it. I wouldn’t say it covers up poor technique rather than really highlights it, and as such it improves technique as a result.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DTB said:

I understand what they do but somehow think they are maybe used to cover up poor dynamics in technique or poor instrument string to string balance. (Please don’t shoot me down in flames I’m very sensitive.)

Unfortunately that's an urban myth that refuses to die. 

See this very insightful article by a chap who knows way more about compression than many of will ever know - Killed my tone (ovnilab.com)

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to be antagonistic or out to upset you, it's just a common misunderstanding that keeps rearing its ugly head :)

Compression has been covered to death on Basschat and is a very divisive subject but let's not open that can of worms again.  

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Osiris said:

See this very insightful article by a chap who knows way more about compression than many of will ever know - Killed my tone (ovnilab.com)

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to be antagonistic or out to upset you, it's just a common misunderstanding that keeps rearing its ugly head :)

Compression has been covered to death on Basschat and is a very divisive subject but let's not open that can of worms again.  

Excellent article, especially the last two paragraphs. 
Seems most complaints about compression come from people trying to use it for the wrong purpose. 
I definitely use harder playing to change my tone, but not enough to make my valve pre amp clip and that digging in often comes with an unwanted increase in volume so after reading that article I would say I would definitely benefit from using a slight amount of compression. 
Thank you. 

• Like 1

Almost everything in a mix benefits from compression and limiting of varying levels IMO, modern mixes have a very limited dynamic range and, unless you're recording binaural jazz or classical, been able to rely on an instrument staying where you put it is very useful.

Live is no different, if you don't have a compressor on your rig, you can almost guarantee that the FoH engineer will strap one on. I find being in control of tone shaping before it reaches the PA or DAW yields better results, but I am a recording engineer and I do understand compression and limiting, it's a complex subject that causes arguments sometimes.

Of late I've been using a lot more limiting to allow dynamic variation but also allow some control for the peaks when I get particularly aggressive. YMMV.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I don’t use compression live, have tried many times but just don’t like it.

However for home practice I like it. I wouldn’t say it covers up poor technique rather than really highlights it, and as such it improves technique as a result.

Totally agree Lozz, I find a setting I like on my Boss CS3 when practising at home then hate it as soon as I try it onstage, maybe that is the real truth about compression, it only sounds good at home! 

9 hours ago, DTB said:

Lee Sklar is another: "I do not use [a compressor]. In the studio I leave that up to the engineer but for myself I do not use one."

Edited by KK Jale
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

Totally agree Lozz, I find a setting I like on my Boss CS3 when practising at home then hate it as soon as I try it onstage, maybe that is the real truth about compression, it only sounds good at home! 

The Boss CS3 Compression Sustainer is misleadingly named, it's not a compressor as such, it's a sustainer. A sustainer is a compressor with a really low threshold which means that even at minimum settings it flattens your entire signal - and you only add more squash by cranking it up. It's designed to add extra sustain to your playing, so ideally suited to guitar solos but not a lot else, unless you like that super flat feel as an effect. A compressor with an adjustable threshold that goes high enough to only control the peaks is a very different beast altogether and way more useful on bass.  

• Like 3

In a studio environment, the compressor is the least understood and misused of all the studio outboard gear. Took me a few years to be fully ofay with it (on all instruments /vocals that is, not just bass). Even professionals get it wrong. I hate watching live music on tv and hearing the compressor pumping away because the attack /release times have been set wrong. 

I was taught "think of it as bringing up the quiet bits rather than turning down the loud bits". 

I've used dozens of different types (Neave, dbx, fairchild, Urei, teletronix) and they all have their different characteristics. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, DTB said:

If only…… 😂

Glad you took that as intended; I read it back earlier and It could have come across differently!

In all seriousness, as others have said - there's a lot to read and understand about compression and limiting. It's a fun journey so read up and don't make any decisions until you try it and learn what the different controls do and how they interact. 

One of the reasons someone like Sklar doesn't worry about it himself is probably because the engineer or producer will decide how the bass fits into a track and will adjust accordingly, and every track will be different. For us mere mortals it's more about finding a great core sound that fits into our own, probably more limited, range of applications. 

• Like 5

On 25/01/2023 at 12:09, DTB said:

Apart from the in built compressor on my old Hartke rig that I left abroad reluctantly years ago I’ve never used a compressor of any kind. 

Should I just buy one and try it out. 
I like how the Boss pedal compressor adds a bit of top end sparkle. 

Don't buy one. Your own manual compressor is Your bouth hand fingers.

On 25/01/2023 at 13:29, Osiris said:

Right !!!!

7 minutes ago, nilorius said:

😁Please, don't start again !!!!

Well, with bold statements of the sort, there's not much else of a response to give, I'd say. Compression, just like any effect/treatment, has its place, and is very useful in the right circumstances, for bass, guitar, vocals, drums (I'm a drummer...), so saying 'it's all in the fingers' is a bit... simplistic. I don't know if you've read through the pages on the subject linked above; there's much to learn there, for those ignorant of what, exactly, compression is, and what it can do. Worth a look, or not..? :friends:

• Like 3