Why become a member? ×

What % of gigs should band members be available for?

Gypsyfolk

Our drummer last year did exactly 50% of our gigs, we had to use deps for the other dates. He’s always been busy with other bands and social commitments but I thought this was too low. I suggested band members should make 80% of gigs. He threw his toys out and left. Am I being harsh? I know jazzers are fluid with line ups but folk and rock it’s more tribal. Some of our music is quite syncopated and difficult to blag. 

2 minutes ago, Gypsyfolk said:

Quality is not maintained with deps, the arrangements are unusual!

But... the more you use deps, the better they get.

What I'm trying to say is... if you're not happy with the amount of gigs the drummer can do, sack him and get another one that can do more.

If there isn't another drummer who can do more gigs waiting in the wings, work with what you have.

Needs must, and all that.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 2

My first instinct was to say 100% but you need to make allowance for eg personal events happening, so something near 100%. I've never fully understood this thing about being in multiple bands - is it like hedging your bets in case one of them goes bad? Why not just focus 100% of your effort on one band? Social commitments - depends on what this actually means....

• Like 5

Most of the players I know are in multiple bands. Many are making a living at being a musician so diary clashes will occur. How you manage the diary and deps is more important than having or not having a dep.

Picking a number out of the air is pointless.

We had a "name" drummer in one band and he was off touring for months on end. I loved it. The deps were excellent and much nicer people to be around than the regular guy.

• Like 1

We don't take a gig unless every member is free and has agreed to it. If we need to keep any dates free we let each other know asap. Extending those courtesies to each other has kept us together for many years now

Deps are then minimised to absences due to illness, or wanting to slot an extra gig in at late notice. We would generally do 98%+ of the gigs we commit to. On rare occasions we may try to move a date if something crops up.

The guitarist is pro, so I'm happy with him taking solo gigs or putting scratch bands together to help fill his diary. I'm a weekend warrior and he's happy with me wanting a weekend off now and again.

It all works out well. The main thing is we are all adults and talk to each other if there's a problem.

• Like 3

I don’t quite understand the question here, unless your gig bookings are done in an entirely different way.

I was the only person in our band who sought and booked the gigs.

Firstly, all the band members have full commitment to the band and are not involved in any secondary projects, so zero conflicts of interest.

I contacted the venues and they gave me the dates they had available, I checked our band calendar which showed dates specific band members were not available, if all band members were available for the available gig dates, the gigs would be booked, no gig was ever booked unless all the band were available to do it.

The extremely rare occasions we had to use a dep was if a band member fell ill just before a gig.

This ensures with all things being OK, we have 100% commitment.

4 minutes ago, steantval said:

I don’t quite understand the question here, unless your gig bookings are done in an entirely different way.

Firstly, all the band members have full commitment to the band and are not involved in any secondary projects, so zero conflicts of interest.

I contacted the venues and they gave me the dates they had available, I checked our band calendar which showed dates specific band members were not available, if all band members were available for the available gig dates, the gigs would be booked, no gig was ever booked unless all the band were available to do it.

The extremely rare occasions we had to use a dep was if a band member fell ill just before a gig.

This ensures with all things being OK, we have 100% commitment.

How often did / do the band gig?

7 minutes ago, steantval said:

That's another thing - the (pro) guitarist has the busiest diary so takes the bookings, and as I said it's up to the rest of us to let him know what dates are NOT available 

• Like 1