Why become a member? ×

New String Day

Phil Starr

I'm genuinely nervous.

We are going into the recording studio next week and my strings (Dean Markley Blue Steels) date back to 2BC, two years before Covid. It's time for a new set, Blue Steels really last but I usually changed them once a year. The trouble is that this set have been sounding absolutely great for the past few months. I've been loving playing them, am I going to regret this? New strings always makes it feel like a new bass but they sound so good......

Does anyone else get this sort of anxiety? Anyone else get the 'it's working don't touch it thing?

On the plus side my poor bass will get a proper clean, wish me well I'm going in :(

• Like 2

I'd say keep them if you like their current sound and are sure it fits with the band's sound.
Maybe, if you have the possibility try a quick recording at home just because amp sound and recorded sound might be quite different.
And I'd bring the new strings with me, just in case :)

Edited by mario_buoninfante
  • Like 4

On the few times I’ve done some serious recording, I found that half worn strings seemed

to be best for me. Not so dead that they gave intonation issues but not so brand new that 

they showed up my lack of technique with overly bright rattles and squeaks. 😂

• Like 1

I'm not quite replacing like with like so I'll need to do a set up and check intonation. I'll take a second bass along too

Rationally we all know what new strings do so I'm presenting this as an irrational fear. The sound is going to be a bit brighter but the studio will do what it wants/needs to do. It's a lot simpler to take stuff out of the signal than to add it in. I'll clean up the old strings and keep them for a while just in case they are the golden strings but I'm not really a believer in magic.

It's a case of 'holding on to nurse, for fear of finding something worse' of course. I'm just wondering if others share that feeling or alternatively how we all feel about old strings, and if there are any real benefits.

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

I use D’Addario EXL 170 strings , and leave them on until they start dulling off too much. I get

around 20 gigs out of a set, and they’re never too far gone when I take them off. I do like

the new set feel, and if finances allowed would change them more often.

When I use a bass that hasn’t been played for a while, the old strings thing can be a drag,

especially if I only need it for one gig and can’t justify a new set just for that. 

Tried coated strings and don’t really like the old string feel from the off. Nothing beats

the feel and sound of a fresh set of EXLs for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I use D’Addario EXL 170 strings , and leave them on until they start dulling off too much. I get

around 20 gigs out of a set, and they’re never too far gone when I take them off. I do like

the new set feel, and if finances allowed would change them more often.

I started out with Rotosounds, hated the 'zing' when new but a week in they were perfect for me. I couldn't afford to keep replacing them once a month though. Tried everything and decided flats weren't for me and only stainless would do. I ran my own trial of Elixirs versus Blue Steels on two different basses, which I changed after a year. You could easily hear a difference with both sets of new strings but the improvement was similar for both so I concluded that there was no advantage in spending out on the Elixirs. Since they also sounded like old strings from the get go and I preferred the Blue Steels throughout they have been my go-to strings. The difference between new ones and year old ones is minimal. I've never used them for 4 years before though :)

On the plus side if I do prefer the old ones it's going to save me a lot in the future

We're going to record our demo this weekend so I thought I'd get some new strings. It looks like my usual DR Black Beauties are no longer available as the heavy 5 string set. They have quite a distinctive sound so I'm a bit nervous about trying something else and with my A# tuning, I'm not sure the .125 gauge will do it.

It's great when you find 'your' strings.  Personally for me it's Dunlop super bright nickels 45-105.  Quite bright at first but they settle quickly, and then stay the same for ages.  They're also lower tension than other 45-105's out there that I've tried, which was something I'd been looking for for a long time.

Haven't done any proper recording for a while, but when I did I would usually put a fresh set on about a week before, and make sure to play a bit every night on them so they lose the initial over the top zing..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LewisK1975 said:

It's great when you find 'your' strings.  Personally for me it's Dunlop super bright nickels 45-105.  Quite bright at first but they settle quickly, and then stay the same for ages.  They're also lower tension than other 45-105's out there that I've tried, which was something I'd been looking for for a long time.

Haven't done any proper recording for a while, but when I did I would usually put a fresh set on about a week before, and make sure to play a bit every night on them so they lose the initial over the top zing..

I used to use Dunlop Super Brights SS 45-105 for years but then I rediscovered my old faves, LaBella SS 45-105. The Dunlops are amazing, but the LaBella strings are the perfect feel, tension and zing for me. 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2023 at 10:38, Phil Starr said:

I'm genuinely nervous.

We are going into the recording studio next week and my strings (Dean Markley Blue Steels) date back to 2BC, two years before Covid. It's time for a new set, Blue Steels really last but I usually changed them once a year. The trouble is that this set have been sounding absolutely great for the past few months. I've been loving playing them, am I going to regret this? New strings always makes it feel like a new bass but they sound so good......

Does anyone else get this sort of anxiety? Anyone else get the 'it's working don't touch it thing?

On the plus side my poor bass will get a proper clean, wish me well I'm going in :(

Better to change for new ones, but there could always be some nuances with string height, so if You are not afraid to do some possible settings with Your bass, go for new. In recording and mixing fresh strings are important.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SumOne said:

At least three of my Bass heros from different genres never (or very rarely) changed strings: Robbie Shakespeare, Bernard Edwards, James Jamerson. That's reason enough for me (and the fact I'm lazy!). 

I think this is the reason why every now & then I try flats yet again, in the vain hope that I`ll get on with them and never have to re-string again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1