Why become a member? ×

Newcastle

Bluewine

52 minutes ago, lownote said:

Maybe we could open this out.  Are there some places that are more - or less - magic, and others that are ghastly s***holes? Or is everywhere a bit of both depending on our personal experiences? Personally, as discussed, I adore Newcastle, my missis loathes Sunderland based on having to live there, and I loathe the whole of Devon based on personal experiences. But I like Warwick, and Norwich is nice, but Ipswich isn't. Is it possible or even sensible to generalise? Maybe not. And not least because places change with the years.

Perhaps…though given the thread is titled somewhat specifically ‘Newcastle’ perhaps generalising could be moved to another thread?! :) 

• Like 2

I married a Geordie. She's the embodiment of everything I love about Newcastle and its people. Beautiful, warm personality, hilarious sense of humour and can drink me under the table. 

I absolutely love Newcastle and love it when we get to go up there. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Why are people trying to turn this lovely thread into just another BC who-can-dislike-something-the-most-fervently contest?!

I haven't seen anyone saying anything other than positives here? Newcastle is mint and everyone knows it. If you walk along the Walker riverside you can actually see people looking over from Gateshead and Hebburn wishing they were in Newcastle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

If you walk along the Walker riverside you can actually see people looking over from Gateshead and Hebburn wishing they were in Newcastle

I often think that the worst thing about Yorkshire is the bores who bang on about how great Yorkshire is. Are you the worst thing about Newcastle?

Don't worry, I'm joking, I know that the worst thing about Newcastle is the pitiful state that the Brown Ale is in these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

So you are 69 and asking about the nightlife... you'll not be frequenting the Bigg Market so you'll be safe enough!  ;) 

As for the cold... we are only a couple of 100 miles North of that there Landan Taan, so hardly the Arctic Circle.  We sold our house to a couple who moved lock/stock from Portsmouth and they said they can't believe they didn't do it sooner, never regretted one minute of it by all accounts. 

I know my ex wife lives an hour north of London. Is that too close? 😀

Blue

15 hours ago, Fishfacefour said:

It's telling though that there are literally zero bad comments about Newcastle in this whole thread. 

"If you think you are working class, when you go to Newcastle you'll realise you are middle class"

Paraphrased from one of the Auf Weidersehn Pet's.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, TheGreek said:

A slightly sadder place tonight after losing to Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup. 

Oh dear...

OT I know but Crocodile tears, it's all part of Eddie's masterplan. We ain't got the squad to be successful on 3 fronts and the Carabao Cup game is only 3  from the final. Makes sense to concentrate on the CC and PL where we are the only team in the top 4 who don't have European games. I write this in the full knowledge that if Leicester beat us in the CC I'll look a richard but will write a similar response just slightly edited,  HTL!

Thought Sheff Weds were much more effective in front of goal and well deserved the win against a weakened NUFC who should however have had the nous to win comfortably.

On 07/01/2023 at 00:16, peteb said:

People from the neighbouring towns of Middlesbrough and Hartlepool respectively 

@Bluewinein the 1800s the good people of Hartlepool lynched a monkey in the belief that it was a French sailor 

we were at war with the French at that point in time 

they were unaware that generally speaking monkeys don’t operate sailing boats, monkeys are not by definition French, French people do not generally have physical monkey characteristics and that monkeys don’t generally declare war on humans 

Edited by Geek99

Just now, MacDaddy said:

Don't forget the actual edible vegan sausage roll

3290.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

Why would anyone bother ? Pastry has animal fat in, pork by definition has animal fat in. It’s like making a suspension bridge out of cheese because at least you’re not using that evil metal stuff 

6 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Of course, everyone's assuming Bluewine's referring to Newcastle-upon-Tyne. You may all be totally misleading him because he actually means Newcastle-under-Lyme, home of Newcastle Town F.C., currently in the Northern Premier League West Division.

First job, Spartan Records, independent distributors early 80s. Telesales took orders all handwritten. One girl took an order from a major wholesaler and wrote their slightly misheard address out ending with Newcastle !!

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

because the normal sausage roll tastes so unlike an actual sausage roll, the vegan one tastes just the same!

I’m not sure there’s actually a definitive generally accepted taste paradigm for the sausage roll 

50 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Of course, everyone's assuming Bluewine's referring to Newcastle-upon-Tyne. You may all be totally misleading him because he actually means Newcastle-under-Lyme, home of Newcastle Town F.C., currently in the Northern Premier League West Division.

No we arent because no one has ever heard of your Newcastle 😛

• Like 1