Why become a member? ×

Music you've done a 180 turn on since your teens/formative years

Barking Spiders

I guess it's taken as read we've all got a place in our hearts for a lot of the music that takes us back to happier times when we wuz young. And that we still enjoy listening to much of it. However, what about stuff you've done a 180 turn on i.e. +180 for bands and singers you'd give no room to back then but nowadays might count among your faves. And -180- for the stuff that formed part of your go-to listening but nowadays which has you running for the off button when it comes on the radio.

+180 - as a teen in the 80s/early 90s I had no time for the soul/r n b music e.g. Luther Vandross, The Whispers, Shalamar etc. I thought that was music for girlies. I really only liked guitar music which featured loads of flashy techniques. Nowadays not only do a lot of 80s soul tunes remind me of great times, I actually enjoy a lot of the music in its own right. Loads of tasty basslines to be found too.

-180 -back then I was a guitar obsessive and was into NWOBHM, the shred scene, Guns n' Roses and indie guitar bands like The Smiths. As a middle aged man I find all this unlistenable and consider The Smiths and G n R among the two most critically overrated bands ever. As for shred, while I used to worship at the shrines of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai I now consider that scene as an abomination and everything playing the guitar shouldn't be about.

• Like 4

Exploring music genres was an expensive habit back in the 'good old days', which meant many people stuck to what they knew and didn't explore different types of music. These days the whole world is our oyster and we can listen to anything our heart desires. 

I used to be into Heavy Rock, back in my teens and twenties, these days I barely listen to it and I've developed a taste for 'Yacht Rock' (look up Young Gun and Silver Fox).

• Like 2

I'll keep it brief. As a 16 year old getting into bass, I hated any form of 'pop' or electronic music, believing it to be somehow lesser than music played on 'real' instruments by 'real' musicians.

Now, I pretty much have stopped listening to Guitar based music, as I find it very samey and listen to 95% electronic/EDM!

• Like 2

Mozart Piano Concertos. When I was a teenager I thought they were shallow and trite and obvious. Pass the Bartok, please. Now I'm older and more battered by life and more than sufficiently acquainted with the pain within, nothing is better than a nice shallow trite obvious Mozart Piano Concerto.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually can't think of much.. if anything.. that fits either criteria perfectly. I can think of plenty of music that I grew to cheerfully accept due to an overriding requirement to fit in with the company I kept at the time. To the outside observer it might look like a -180 on some stuff, but in truth it was just that as we all got older and some people moved away, the dynamic changed and the music I no longer 'needed to like' in order to be involved simply fell off the radar. Most metal bands with screamed vocals, for example.

Not much really for me. I was first into metal, and then broadened in all directions towards both heavier grunge, lighter pop and a detour via EDM and the rave scene. 

I don’t regularly listen to any of that stuff anymore, but I wouldn’t say I’ve done a U-Turn on any of it.

Just outgrown some of it along the way. 

• Like 1

80's synth pop.

Human League, early Depeche Mode etc.

As a teenage punk/metalhead I hated it. 

Turns out exposure to early hip hop, house and MDMA  really does open the mind. 

And time has taught me that Mahler is for life, whereas Wagner is just for invading Poland. 

Edited by Rusty Spanner
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, velvetkevorkian said:

Iron Maiden. Originally couldn't get over the vocal style but have since learned not to take myself so seriously.

I had the same problem with Maiden in my teenage years but love a bit of Maiden now.

I also hated Megadeath because of Mustains vocals and 25 years later nothing has changed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Steely Dan, 1st year at Uni, bloke over the corridor in halls played a lot of Steely Dan, I hated it, preferring to drown it out with a solid diet of Rush, Zep, Pink Floyd, Motorhead and the like.

Now a proper devotee, love their work. Still love the other stuff too, my tastes have broadened. Ewen, you were right there mate.

Still can't stand Jazz mind.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 40hz said:

I'll keep it brief. As a 16 year old getting into bass, I hated any form of 'pop' or electronic music, believing it to be somehow lesser than music played on 'real' instruments by 'real' musicians.

Now, I pretty much have stopped listening to Guitar based music, as I find it very samey and listen to 95% electronic/EDM!

Yep, aged 16 to 19 I was heavily into Joe Satriani, Judas Priest, Van Halen etc 'proper musicians playing real instruments'. This kind of stuff accounted for 75% of my LP and cassette collection, but as an adult I came to consider how musically vacuous that stuff is. Nowadays, of my 900+ strong collection of CDs, 700+ are electronica ranging from  S'Express and Deee-lite to Autechre and Monolake.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WinterMute said:

Steely Dan, 1st year at Uni, bloke over the corridor in halls played a lot of Steely Dan, I hated it, preferring to drown it out with a solid diet of Rush, Zep, Pink Floyd, Motorhead and the like.

Now a proper devotee, love their work. Still love the other stuff too, my tastes have broadened. Ewen, you were right there mate.

Still can't stand Jazz mind.

Popular music is often part of the uniform we wear that identifies the tribe we belong to. It applies most when we're in our teens and twenties (and sometimes beyond). If we're fortunate enough to move on from that, we can enjoy music for its own sake without worrying about how we think others will perceive us for liking it.

This isn't to say we turn our backs on what we liked when we were younger (or not all of it, at any rate). In my case I find I like more things now than I did 40-50 years ago.

You never know. You may even end up liking some jazz.

• Like 1

Jazz!
I always respected it, but as a teenager and until my late 20s I secretly thought it was "old music", that as a genre was dead and that jazzists were mainly showing off.
Well, I couldn't be more wrong! In the last years I got really into it and discovered that is more alive than ever, actually has never been dead.
Contamination is the bread and butter in jazz and there is quite a lot of experimentation too.

I found it one of the most "open" genres of all time, and one of the best form of art and expression ever!

Less straightforward than other music, so it took me a bit to understand it, more "life experience" and some studying too. But, it was definitely worth though.

Edited by mario_buoninfante
  • Like 4

In my teens and 20s it was all about rock, indie rock, and a very brief teenage fling with new wave. Now I rarely listen to rock, because it's like no longer having an appetite for Mars bars whatsoever after eating 10,000 of them.

In my teens and 20s I hated hiphop for the lyrics, was indifferent to jazz because I didn't understand it or even try to, and was even more indifferent to country just because. When you're young you're much more influenced by image, but when you're older it's irrelevant.

I listen mostly to music that feeds my bassy cravings like RnB, funk, jazz, pop(gotta love the likes of hallucinate by Dua Lipa) now and again, some hiphop and even some country for its wonderful simplicity. None of which I would have ever considered in my earlier years.

Edited by TheLowDown

+180 - As a budding guitarist in the early 80s I loved all things prog and hated to varying degrees anything that was pop (disco, funk, New Romantic most of the top 30/40 etc etc). With hindsight I think it was largely because of peer pressure rather than actually disliking stuff. Now, as a gigging bassist, I love playing disco and funk and pretty much any genre that comes my way (whether I can do some of them justice is another matter 😃). But while I enjoy playing most styles of music, I still wouldn't consider myself a fan of disco or funk and I really don't like Country and Western. And prog remains on top of the list. although the definition of prog has changed over the years. 😃 

8 hours ago, mario_buoninfante said:

... aaaaand, that's me!
:)

It's unlikely for me I'm afraid, I was the technical director for London College of Music for 7 years, my office overlooked the main performance/rehearsal space and I was subject to a daily barrage of bad jazz from people learning how to play it (or not as the case may be).

Very occasionally someone who could play would turn up, Branford Marsalis memorably, and I could sort of see the appeal but I'm afraid too much of it either goes over my head or is just meandering wibble...

A good big band makes a decent noise up close.

• Like 1

In my formative years I was heavily into my rock and metal.... and widdling guitarists.

Now, although I still enjoy some of those acts and guitarists, my tastes have not so much changed as 'widened'. I'm still mainly into classic rock music (late 70's/early 80's pomp rock, mid 70's boogie/southern rock and classic US midwestern and melodic/AOR) but I now listen to lots of Steely Dan, John Miles, early Chicago, Kayak etc and most recently have been purchasing a lot of original (Sneaker/David Roberts etc) and new 'Yacht Rock' (Young Gun Silver Fox/Dawn Patrol/State Cows), Power Pop and original soul/RnB/Motown/Disco etc

I still can't abide rap/hip-hop/modern r'n'b/grime etc and don't see that changing anytime soon.

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cetera said:

I'm still mainly into classic rock music (late 70's/early 80's pomp rock, mid 70's boogie/southern rock and classic US midwestern and melodic/AOR) but I now listen to lots of Steely Dan, John Miles, early Chicago, Kayak

I suspect I wouldn't get on very well with your record collection!

But then most people of taste would baulk at my love of avant- and free-jazz 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1