Why become a member? ×

Merry xmas, everyone! What bass related pressies were under the tree?

lidl e

11 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Nice one, I’ve been thinking about DR Black Beauties for a while which are apparently quite like Hi-Beams, just black & coated.

Santa brought me another set of DR Black Beauties, That was the only bass related item.

Put a set of Black Beauties on my VM4 few weeks ago and have to say i had a WOW moment with them. They sounded almost the same as my D'Addario EXL190's but smoother to touch. For coated strings i was surprised how flexible they were. I got another set for Xmas to be fitted to my MarloweDK and once i've used up my other spare sets of strings i'll be putting a set on my P bass.

One thing i would mention is that if you like doing the slidy string thing at the big ending finale to a song you might burn your wee fingertips. :laugh1:

Love the tone so far and the tension suits what i like.

Reently i've been trying various other strings to no avail incl Markbass Longevo, D'Addario XT's, LaBella low tension flats.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SH73 said:

I think the snow during Christmas makes a difference 

Snow on Xmas Eve and Boxing Day but nothing on Xmas day. Would have been nice to wake up on Xmas morning to snow falling and a white Christmas but alas not to be but i do like snow at Xmas time especially when i dont need to go out.

Dave

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Snow on Xmas Eve and Boxing Day but nothing on Xmas day. Would have been nice to wake up on Xmas morning to snow falling and a white Christmas but alas not to be but i do like snow at Xmas time especially when i dont need to go out.

Dave

I agree, I don't feel the Christmas without snow is the same. We had a snow 10 days or so before Christmas, then it went from -5 to +12 over night. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SH73 said:

I agree, I don't feel the Christmas without snow is the same. We had a snow 10 days or so before Christmas, then it went from -5 to +12 over night. 

We had the same with approx 6" snow around the house and then +12 the following day and all gone. I thought it strange to be honest but that's our weather for you LOL

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I got a set of DR Black Beauty strings from senior management. They sound awesome on my P bass. They look great on a white bass as well

Good to know they sound good on the P bass. Think my P bass will be next after i've fitted the MarloweDK set.

Dave

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Good to know they sound good on the P bass. Think my P bass will be next after i've fitted the MarloweDK set.

Dave

Probably not too good if you want a nice smooth jazz tone but if you want it bright and punchy then they're great. I'm getting some great punk tones

As a newbie I was glad to get some stuff on my wish list - spare set of strings for my P-Bass (just need to figure out when they need replacing!), some .73 tortex picks, strap locks and a nice Hercules wall hanging bracket.

I bought myself a Fender downtown express pedal just before Xmas as I knew I didn’t know anyone generous enough to buy me one. 😂😂

Pretty lights and everything!!

732AC3B6-14B1-4A1D-AAE6-7A1C2F55B85D.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Minininjarob said:

As a newbie I was glad to get some stuff on my wish list - spare set of strings for my P-Bass (just need to figure out when they need replacing!), some .73 tortex picks, strap locks and a nice Hercules wall hanging bracket.

I bought myself a Fender downtown express pedal just before Xmas as I knew I didn’t know anyone generous enough to buy me one. 😂😂

Pretty lights and everything!!

732AC3B6-14B1-4A1D-AAE6-7A1C2F55B85D.jpeg

I usually change my strings when i notice the tone starting to dull down a fair bit. I dont like them when they lose their top end and start sounding more like flats.

I would nomally get approx 2-3mths out of a set of D'Addario EXL190 nickel rounds but a lot depends on the gigs i play and if i sweat more than usual. Worst case was 2weeks and 2 very hot and sweaty gigs and the strings died and sounded more like a dull thud when played.

Hope that helps a bit. 

Some strings last longer than others and personal preference comes into it a lot too.

A lot depends on whether you want to keep that new zingy edge or not too fussed about it. Depends on style of music too.

All the best

Dave 

• Thanks 1