Why become a member? ×

The songs we find hard to nail sped up?

YouMa

Most of the music i listen to bass playing wise is funk,disco,soul,jazz. like the pinnacle of tightness between bass and drums. Most of the Chic Bernard Edwards stuff including the stuff they produced is very difficult and i am beginning to think that it is slightly sped up on the recorded versions. Is there any older guys on here who actually saw Chic or any disco bands live? I would love to hear from them and the what they thought. I can remember a post few years back and he saw Chic live and said it sounded very muddy?

I would love to hear it mate. I have still never mastered the bass on I want your love and have been playing 24 years. I admit the later stuff is normal speed and he was a phenomenon on bass but I have never seen anyone truly nail I want your love on bass.

Just practice.

When I can play a song without needing any notation I like to play it at a faster speed for practice. When I've nailed it 10% faster or so then it becomes easy at normal speed. But to get there I'll often play it way under tempo and only increase speed when it's perfect, and increase speed in small amounts.

Youtube can now change playback speed so it's a really good song learning resource.

Practice DOES NOT make perfect. It makes permanent!

Only Perfect Practice makes Perfect. So slow it down until it's easier and get it right.

Don't practice until you get it right - practice until you can't get it wrong.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Or just play it 3 times in a row with an average pub band drummer. That will be 3 different tempos! :D 

Reminds me of a keyboard player I know who used to play for strict tempo dance classes. Tired of

being admonished by the participants, he introduced a waltz and asked - ''How do want this one then,

too fast or too slow?'' 😅

• Haha 7

You have to remember there’s a difference between the average person's practice levels and someone like Bernard Edwards - I could have inserted a myriad of names here - they’re not constrained by having to go to work or other domestic issues. They’re either gigging, rehearsing or recording; either way, they’ll have a bass in their hands. 

There's also this mysterious innate talent that some people have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ambient said:

There's also this mysterious innate talent that some people have. 

This for sure. Some folk do things better/faster/whatever. We can't all be Bernard Edwards, Usain Bolt, Andres Segovia, Stephen Hawking, whoever, despite whatever nonsense is talked about 10,000 hours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Youtube can now change playback speed so it's a really good song learning resource.

Practice DOES NOT make perfect. It makes permanent!

Only Perfect Practice makes Perfect. So slow it down until it's easier and get it right.

Don't practice until you get it right - practice until you can't get it wrong.

.....Apologies to those who already know, Audacity (open source, free,and  all platforms) has tempo change with the same pitch feature.  This combined with looping has really helped with the prog jazz rock originals I am working on in my current band.  https://www.mazmazika.com/chordanalyzer workds well, it has pretty good accuracy even with the interesting chords my compatriots choose to use.

Edited by 3below

15 minutes ago, ezbass said:

This for sure. Some folk do things better/faster/whatever. We can't all be Bernard Edwards, Usain Bolt, Andres Segovia, Stephen Hawking, whoever, despite whatever nonsense is talked about 10,000 hours.

Yep. When I was at uni I was practicing for 14 hours a day most days. There was a guy there in my particular bass class who simply didn’t need to, he was the most gifted musician I’ve ever encountered. There’s a student at the music college I’m teaching at that is a phenomenally talented keyboard player. He’s only young, just late teens.

One thing is to practise, the other is to practise right things with an accessible target in mind.

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. And I mean both playing and the right things. When was the last time you set a target and scheduled it? What was the reasonable amount of daily practise you thought would be enough within that set timeline?

I don't think songs are sped up. I'm mostly playing punk rock songs, finger style as well as picking. This requires very fast playing. During live shows songs are often played even faster than on the CD. It's just a matter of getting used to it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jay2U said:

I don't think songs are sped up. I'm mostly playing punk rock songs, finger style as well as picking. This requires very fast playing. During live shows songs are often played even faster than on the CD. It's just a matter of getting used to it.

I was reading about the Beatles "She's Leaving Home", yesterday. Apparently it was sped up slightly for the stereo version to make Paul sound younger.

On 21/12/2022 at 18:22, Jay2U said:

How do you get on with "Babylon's burning" by The Ruts?

Wicked bassline but a killer at speed. After all these years and I still haven't got it - maybe I should try it with a pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

How do you get on with "Babylon's burning" by The Ruts?

Wicked bassline but a killer at speed. After all these years and I still haven't got it - maybe I should try it with a pick.

I'm faster when playing finger style. Is this fast enough for you? 😁