Why become a member? ×

REAL Fodera... ouch my head hurts!

warwickhunt

You literally can't understand how a faker could get something SOOOOOOO wrong but my head started to hurt and wonder whether this was a genuine clever idea... that my brain just couldn't register.  :)

For sale for a paltry sum of 7200 euro.  

image.thumb.png.34288ee8c1ce3a705e562fb5e58b38ce.png

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/913145782937721?media_id=3&ref=share_attachment

Edited by warwickhunt
Title change.

4 minutes ago, thebassist said:

Yeah - it’s an extended B headstock and something Fodera do build - there’s quite a bit of debate about whether the extended B head position makes much difference.

Seriously?  

Why would you extend the B string but then revert back to the E string being shorter?  If the science says a longer string has a better fundamental, then surely that applies to the E string as well?  

7 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Help me out here folks my head is done in!  I can't believe you'd chop back/forwards with the tuners like that, yet some of you are telling me it is genuine?  

Yes, it is. I’ve played a couple with this setup. There was some debate about it making the B string feel better. As you say it makes no logical sense as generally what happens past the nut (assuming a decent break angle, which Fodera already has due to an angled headstock) has pretty much zero effect on the string itself. Having spent decades in pursuit of a low B that sounds and feels like a good E string, a tapered string, bigger diameter and/or longer scale length are what really make the difference across the whole string length - assuming a decent break angle at nut and bridge, good strings and no twisting of the string).
For ref the Fodera I tried first with this setup had a dull, poor sounding B, and the strings were new ;)

56 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

So you're not questioning if it is a genuine Fodera?  

Is it really just me then?  :/  

Although I know possibly less than zero about Foderas it's easy to spot a fake, that's way too nice and the fakes are always shaped with a rusty spoon, especially the rear contours and the neck heel.

Just don't get the thinking behind it, seems a bit of a gimmick which isn't something you'd expect with Fodera which have always struck me as simple basses done to an impeccable standard.

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

Having spent decades in pursuit of a low B that sounds and feels like a good E string, a tapered string, bigger diameter and/or longer scale length are what really make the difference across the whole string length - assuming a decent break angle at nut and bridge, good strings and no twisting of the string)

Or to summarise, Dingwall.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Dear God that has made matters worse!

a) they've been doing this for years and I've never seen/heard of it.

b) not only would it mess with your mind which tuner to reach for but...

c) the B string tuner would work in reverse (or is it geared in reverse... please tell me it is).

LOL

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Dear God that has made matters worse!

a) they've been doing this for years and I've never seen/heard of it.

b) not only would it mess with your mind which tuner to reach for but...

c) the B string tuner would work in reverse (or is it geared in reverse... please tell me it is).

LOL

I think if you have never really wanted a Fodera, now is not the time to start a longing

I can hardly comprehend that a brand so highly regarded would come up with such an inelegant solution to a problem that doesn't exist. This is the kind of thing I'd expect from basschat's favourite guitar improver. What next? foderas with the tuners set at jaunty angles and the bridge hanging off the ar$e end of the body.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• warwickhunt changed the title to REAL Fodera... ouch my head hurts!