Why become a member? ×

Talk about Bass

joel406

Ok...

A rant. sorry....

I was a member of TalkBass. You're all probably familiar with it.

I posted a factual observation and was banned. I attacked no one. I simply relayed the findings of a specific amp. I was playing a gig with backline provided and was given an amp the should by all standards have rocked. 

It didn't.

In fact, it bit the big hairy wet one. An 810! 600 watt stack that just sucked. I had a 212 with a Mesa Subway head in the car that would put this stack to shame.

Anyway. Banned. So much for free speech in America. I was sent an email giving me the option to beg to be let back in. I chose to come here. I will endeavor to be respectful. I am a professional Bass player. Gig 3 to 5 shows every week and 2023 is fully booked. I own a "lot" of equipment. And I have gained a lot of experience in the music industry in the last 3 years. I feel sites like TB as well as BC should be open to experiences that we encounter. And if it's a bad one. Especially one that repeats itself, sharing these can help others be better prepared when they find themselves faced with them.

Of course, the good should be shared as well. And when we find something that can help others, I feel we should share this. 

So, I hope I'm welcome here. I am willing to share my experiences. We are currently looking at a national tour next year. My first with a national act. Don't know when it will start or who we will be opening for yet.  But mystery gives life flavor.

Sorry. Rant over.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, oldslapper said:

Yeah welcome.

It’s a broad church here. 
There are those who play Precisions and then there are the non bass players..all welcome. 

Thank you. I am kinda a Fender junkie. 5 string is all I play. Fortunately my wife understands. 

• Like 1

Welcome, Basschat is super open, respectful and fairly tolerant. We have those that love Precision, those that love Jazz basses, those that love Stingrays and then those that hate them all. We even have the odd members of the family that play Rickenbackers and Gibsons 😂 We have those that play unlined fretless basses and those that play lined fretless basses and those that play with flats and those that play with rounds. It's all acceptable and one big happy family. We also all have the same problems and stresses, usually singers and guitarists but we love drummers 😁

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Welcome, Basschat is super open, respectful and fairly tolerant. We have those that love Precision, those that love Jazz basses, those that love Stingrays and then those that hate them all. We even have the odd members of the family that play Rickenbackers and Gibsons 😂 We have those that play unlined fretless basses and those that play lined fretless basses and those that play with flats and those that play with rounds. It's all acceptable and one big happy family. We also all have the same problems and stresses, usually singers and guitarists but we love drummers 😁

Thank you all for the welcome. Personally I have no hatred of any brand of gear. But if it don’t work I speak up. I’m a Fender freak. I do not like any other brand. But that’s just what works for me. Precisions and Jazz Basses are all I own or play. I don’t even like Alembics. Who would take a $15k us Bass to a bar gig? Same with Fodera and Sadowsky. Don’t like their 5’s. But I love me some Mesa Boogie. Their new Subway line blows everything away. Love Epifani as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joel406 said:

Ok...

A rant. sorry....

I was a member of TalkBass. You're all probably familiar with it.

I posted a factual observation and was banned. I attacked no one. I simply relayed the findings of a specific amp. I was playing a gig with backline provided and was given an amp the should by all standards have rocked. 

It didn't.

In fact, it bit the big hairy wet one. An 810! 600 watt stack that just sucked. I had a 212 with a Mesa Subway head in the car that would put this stack to shame.

Anyway. Banned. So much for free speech in America. I was sent an email giving me the option to beg to be let back in. I chose to come here. I will endeavor to be respectful. I am a professional Bass player. Gig 3 to 5 shows every week and 2023 is fully booked. I own a "lot" of equipment. And I have gained a lot of experience in the music industry in the last 3 years. I feel sites like TB as well as BC should be open to experiences that we encounter. And if it's a bad one. Especially one that repeats itself, sharing these can help others be better prepared when they find themselves faced with them.

Of course, the good should be shared as well. And when we find something that can help others, I feel we should share this. 

So, I hope I'm welcome here. I am willing to share my experiences. We are currently looking at a national tour next year. My first with a national act. Don't know when it will start or who we will be opening for yet.  But mystery gives life flavor.

Sorry. Rant over.

I was banned from TB too, about trolling, did not why. TB sucks.

3 hours ago, joel406 said:

In that case. 

Hartke.

That is interesting! I don't own any Hartke gear - my own backline is all Eden -  but I've had mixed experiences with their gear in rehearsal studios, ranging from a decent tone to sounding utterly gutless, no matter how I twiddled the knobs.

I don't know if it's a QC issue or Hartke gear's easier to break than other makes, but I do get a sinking feeling when I see a Hartke amp waiting for me at rehearsal. 

• Like 1

I got banned trom Talkbass too for refusing to change my avatar from a poppy - it was that time of year and Im an ex squaddie so am prone to such bouts of remembrance - as the admin said it was 'politcal'. In response I deliberately committed forum hari kari by calling the admin something that rhymes with brick and was banned.

You are of course very welcome here. As a community, and a genuinely warm one, Basschat is in a different league.  You'll do particularly well if you like Harley Bentons.

• Like 5

I like TalkBass. Amongst the vast membership are many people who are eager to share their knowledge generously.

Naturally there are a lot of 'nanas there too, but their ignore function works phenomenally well, Winston Smith would have admired how well it vanishes people and every trace of their content from your universe.

I also like that they don't pretend that their rules and enforcement aren't quite severe. A free market of forums exist, offering different styles. They have a clear identity, and stick to it admirably.

• Like 1

OP surely you can’t get banned even from TB for saying Hartke are rubbish.

TB is infamous for fan boy pile-on mentality, usually against anyone who dares question the sanctity of certain American made gear - but you can publicly slate stuff. 

Did it escalate into a row? Thread would be interesting.  

• Like 2