Why become a member? ×

Where do you put your thumb?

SteveXFR

Talking about floating thumbs and fingering techniques and the like, I remember reading an article in Ozzie Razorback hunting mag "Baconbusters" (as you do) which discussed the various ways of separating fighting pig-hunting dogs.

They came to the conclusion that the best way was to distract 'em by slipping a handy digit up doggy's jacksie.

I suspect one might have to wash one's hands before playing bass though.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Talking about floating thumbs and fingering techniques and the like, I remember reading an article in Ozzie Razorback hunting mag "Baconbusters" (as you do) which discussed the various ways of separating fighting pig-hunting dogs.

They came to the conclusion that the best way was to distract 'em by slipping a handy digit up doggy's jacksie.

Depends on how much string noise irritates you....

38 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Sticking your finger/thumb up a dog's @rse doesn't work... Don't ask... 

Just now, Leonard Smalls said:

We definitely need to know now!

Possibly without pics...

Well short version I attempted this well known "hack" many years ago when a couple of pooches were having at it fairly enthusiastically, absolutely zero result... (and of course you get 5hit on your finger) 

I've subsequently found the way ahead is to robustly squeeze the throat / wind pipe of the aggressor, that does work.. 

With several different basses, almost all 5-strings but with pickups in different positions (including a couple with piezo pickups only), I find the best approach is to use the B string as a very long thumb rest when I'm picking other strings. For picking the B, I have to do a little set up work when I first get the bass. I work out what is the best position for my thumb on this particular bass, and then I stick a small picture of Noam Chomsky in that position so I can easily return to it.

• Haha 2

I leave my right hand thumb shadowing my plucking fingers. My left hand thumb usually rests at the back of bass/guitar neck ,but sometimes aid to mute low E string...

What I don't understand is why the thumb rest is at the bottom of the bass, under the G string. I suppose if one played Hendrix style, turning a righty guitar into a lefty, but why?

13 minutes ago, SH73 said:

...What I don't understand is why the thumb rest is at the bottom of the bass, under the G string. I suppose if one played Hendrix style, turning a righty guitar into a lefty, but why?

Not a thumb rest, originally, but a finger rest; the strings were plucked with the thumb, principally. Things evolved, however.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Not a thumb rest, originally, but a finger rest; the strings were plucked with the thumb, principally. Things evolved, however.

l was thinking old funk, RnB style?

So why does a Matt Freeman signature  Squier bass have thumb rest under G string. He is predominantly a plectrum player.

Edited by SH73
Added

3 minutes ago, SH73 said:

l was thinking old funk, RnB style?

So why does a Matt Freeman signature  Squier bass have thumb rest under G string. He is predominantly a plectrum player.

Not a plectrum player myself but it's obvious that an anchor point for the uninvolved fingers would make hitting the strings with the pick much more accurate than doing it from the wrist.

1 minute ago, Downunderwonder said:

Not a plectrum player myself but it's obvious that an anchor point for the uninvolved fingers would make hitting the strings with the pick much more accurate than doing it from the wrist.

I can see the point of resting the heel if palm on bridge pick up cover whist playing with the pick, but see having a thumb rest on modern basses useless. I play with fingers 90% of time, and although I owned a bass with a thumb rest above E string I never used it as I pluck closer to bridge than neck.