Why become a member? ×

Ebay idiots

Burns-bass

I advertised my Carlsboro valve amp on eBay with a collection only stipulation. Someone clicked the buy button, then immediately emailed me to say "I'm sorry it's not looking good for collection, but if you package up the amp I'll have Royal Mail collect it." 

When I pointed out this wasn't going to happen and that his idiocy had cost me money and wasted my time, he started getting aggressive about it.

I appreciate this is an entirely pointless post, but I just wanted to vent somewhere. Ebay idiots, eh?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

eBay will refund you the sales cost or allow you to re-list with no charge if you show evidence of the buyer doing what they've done. I've had that before and they waived the fee I incurred.

Yeah, I had that. Annoyingly I had one of those deal things that cuts fees by 80%, so I lose that. 

I'll always try to sell stuff here, but it's guitar based rather than bass and I don't really go on any guitar forums so ebay seemed the best place.

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

I advertised my Carlsboro valve amp on eBay with a collection only stipulation. Someone clicked the buy button, then immediately emailed me to say "I'm sorry it's not looking good for collection, but if you package up the amp I'll have Royal Mail collect it." 

When I pointed out this wasn't going to happen and that his idiocy had cost me money and wasted my time, he started getting aggressive about it.

I appreciate this is an entirely pointless post, but I just wanted to vent somewhere. Ebay idiots, eh?

Before you get it relisted I would block that buyer so he can't interfere with the advertising a second time.

Had one do that to me some years ago. Won it didn't pay then bid on it again when I relisted. Then got aggressive when I cancelled his bid.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

A year or so ago I advertised an Ibanez electric guitar which had 12 photos, several in close-up so that viewers could see if there were any blemishes. It was in virtually new condition at a price half that of a new model. Anyway after it being posted and received the buyer sent an email requesting a further 20% refund on the paying price as there was a blemish I hadn't mentioned in my description. On close inspection of my close-up photos there was a tiny scratch adjacent to the scratchplate, all of 1mm in length max. It would've been invisible to the naked eye and a magnifying glass would've been needed to see it. After several email exchanges it transpired he had indeed inspected the bodywork using one and that the scratch wasn't visible to the naked eye. I did not give him a further 20% off. An@l or what?

• Like 2

My standard method of dealing with people looking for money off due to completely insignificant or imaginary problems is to offer them a full refund if they return the item and no alternatives. I'll be very polite and apologetic, but I won't enter into any dialogue with them over discounts or partial refunds; they are obviously not 100% happy so they should return the item and get their money back. In every case I have never heard anything more from the buyer.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Anyway after it being posted and received the buyer sent an email requesting a further 20% refund on the paying price as there was a blemish I hadn't mentioned in my description.

I had one of those. Wanted a discount. Offered him a full refund if he sent it back, turned out he didn't want to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Ugh, the number of people who just happen to conveniently miss the collection only part of a listing is staggering.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

My standard method of dealing with people looking for money off due to completely insignificant or imaginary problems is to offer them a full refund if they return the item and no alternatives. I'll be very polite and apologetic, but I won't enter into any dialogue with them over discounts or partial refunds; they are obviously not 100% happy so they should return the item and get their money back. In every case I have never heard anything more from the buyer.

That's my approach as well, never fails 👍

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

Ugh, the number of people who just happen to conveniently miss the collection only part of a listing is staggering.

Yep it's mostly deliberate in my experience. Quite a few collectors/traders/speculators on eBay understand that gear listed Collection Only tends to sell at a lower price than if postage/delivery is offered, and if you're buying to sell, that's an immediate profit. Given this, a lot of sellers who listed collection only simply give up and offer to post rather than go through the grief of a difficult buyer.

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

I always ask before I bid if they'll reconsider the "collection only" policy.  If I hear back in the negative (or don't hear back at all), I don't bid.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, binky_bass said:

eBay will refund you the sales cost or allow you to re-list with no charge if you show evidence of the buyer doing what they've done. I've had that before and they waived the fee I incurred.

I had someone do this to me on an item listed for £1,500 on a 1% FVF offer, so it would have cost me in excess of £150+ to relist. 

I had a good moan about it and not only did they waive the 'normal' fees, they actually waived any fees at all, even the 1% FVF etc. I did point out to them that I was happy to pay the original fees but they wouldn't hear of it.

In fact, when you actually get round to speaking to a human, eBay CS are actually pretty good. 

Asking buyers to send back the item for a refund can sometimes be a bit dodgy as well.  It has been known for unscrupulous scum to send back a parcel of rubbish in place of the real item. They must send back using ' signature required '

Once the item has been signed for, the sender/buyer now has proof for Ebay that they returned the item and that you signed for it. This only works in certain circumstances though.  Living too close to each other is likely to end up with a personal visit.

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, neepheid said:

I always ask before I bid if they'll reconsider the "collection only" policy.  If I hear back in the negative (or don't hear back at all), I don't bid.

See, that I don't mind. It's people who bid and win before asking, and who withdraw their winning bid when I say no, who grind my gears.

• Like 2

On 13/12/2022 at 10:37, BigRedX said:

A good tip, thanks

On 13/12/2022 at 07:40, Burns-bass said:

Yeah, I had that. Annoyingly I had one of those deal things that cuts fees by 80%, so I lose that. 

I'll always try to sell stuff here, but it's guitar based rather than bass and I don't really go on any guitar forums so ebay seemed the best place.

I've used www.thefretboard.co.uk for geeta stuff just as a HU for you

19 hours ago, fleabag said:

Asking buyers to send back the item for a refund can sometimes be a bit dodgy as well.  It has been known for unscrupulous scum to send back a parcel of rubbish in place of the real item. They must send back using ' signature 

This happened to me a few years ago when l sold an Seat FR headlight. The guy said it didn't fit so sent it back signed for and recorded delivery. It was just a small envelope with bubble wrap inside! I contacted ebay and their fraud department who sorted it all out and l got paid the full amount. Dont know what happened to the scammer though!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Yep, that's a big pet peeve of mine. I state emphatically that I only do collection or personal delivery up to 20 miles. And yet...how many times have people asked 'can you post it to....'!