Why become a member? ×

Bugera Bargain at G4M

stewblack

On 09/12/2022 at 18:58, stewblack said:

G4M should be giving me commission 

I should think so! I couldn't resist buying one  as a spare amp at that price.  Fast delivery especially for this time of year.

The Veyron compares very favourably with my GK SM500 class D amp, probably similar power output and more than enough for most situations. The Bugera is bigger and heavier but it does look more the part on top of the cabs whereas the GK does tend to look a bit lost as it's so small! One feature the Bugera has that the GK does not is the compressor and I found it was very usable in small doses. Thanks for the tip Stew

• Like 2

7 hours ago, basstone said:

I should think so! I couldn't resist buying one  as a spare amp at that price.  Fast delivery especially for this time of year.

The Veyron compares very favourably with my GK SM500 class D amp, probably similar power output and more than enough for most situations. The Bugera is bigger and heavier but it does look more the part on top of the cabs whereas the GK does tend to look a bit lost as it's so small! One feature the Bugera has that the GK does not is the compressor and I found it was very usable in small doses. Thanks for the tip Stew

Coming from you Tony, I take that very kindly. You're a man who knows his amplification.

• Like 1

I gigged mine for the first time last night, and sad to say it committed the cardinal sin of ceasing to function at the start of the second set. The preamp was showing input (clip light) but there was no output. Trusty Elf to the rescue (amazing little thing). Of course, when I fired it up this morning, it worked perfectly. Not amused, so it's going back. 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

I gigged mine for the first time last night, and sad to say it committed the cardinal sin of ceasing to function at the start of the second set. The preamp was showing input (clip light) but there was no output. Trusty Elf to the rescue (amazing little thing). Of course, when I fired it up this morning, it worked perfectly. Not amused, so it's going back. 

Are you sure you didn't knock the mute button? 

15 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Are you sure you didn't knock the mute button? 

100% sure. It lights up when activated, and it was the first thing I checked anyway. I suspect the volume control - at the 9 o'clock position, just one notch doubled the volume at soundcheck, a couple of sweeps cleared this. I can't trust it, so it's going back.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

100% sure. It lights up when activated, and it was the first thing I checked anyway. I suspect the volume control - at the 9 o'clock position, just one notch doubled the volume at soundcheck, a couple of sweeps cleared this. I can't trust it, so it's going back.

Could be worth giving it a second chance, perhaps not on a gig! just to try to localise the problem?

Mine had a slightly noisy volume control when it arrived, mainly up near maximum volume. I opened it up (I wanted to see inside anyway),took the volume board out  for better access and gave it a quick spray with servisol and it was perfect from there on. Not what should be needed with a new bit of kit but effective. We don't know how long these amps have been on the shelf and we all know that pots tend to get noisy if not used, regardless of the make / cost etc! and still a bargain at £150!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skin Lewis said:

That's a shame. Definitely sounds like you got a lemon. I've had mine 3 years and it's been absolutely faultless. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skin Lewis said:

If you can't trust it, that's that.  So far, I've had zero issues, but I haven't yet fired it up in anger outside the house, so I'm quite prepared to return it if anything shows up.  I guess that's why we piled in - the 180-day return option, which I'm even more grateful for, given your experience.

Fingers crossed, one way or another...!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Skin Lewis said:

Was the gain turned right down? I know on my tube version, the clip light can come on with the gain zeroed. I had a bit of a panic at a gig once u til I realised what I had done

I’m think it would be worth persevering to find out what the problem was. The Elf is a simple amp. Not really  much you can get wrong. The Veyron has lots of lovely knobs and switches but that means more you can get wrong OR more to go wrong, 

To be fair, mine has not missed a beat except for a few crackles when the volume control was moved in the early days. Otherwise it has been ultra reliable. 

9 hours ago, basstone said:

I opened it up (I wanted to see inside anyway),took the volume board out  for better access and gave it a quick spray with servisol and it was perfect from there on.

Is this the board,   does it just come off those two clips,   what is on the other side,  does the knob need to be pulled off first?

1893566884_BV1000MMasterVolume.thumb.jpg.feb37442614189583c8c0174ceb948b2.jpg

On 11/12/2022 at 15:04, King Tut said:

I’m no expert so please do it at your own risk!! On the cylindrical bit between the pcb and the front panel there’s some holes, I pushed the tube from the spray onto these, gave a squirt and gave it a few twists. Made sure it was unplugged first. Please someone chime in if this isn’t safe!

Deja vu all over again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Skin Lewis said:

Mine has been faultless so far. That's no help to you of course but it might be worth seeing if they will swap it for a working one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, goingdownslow said:

Is this the board,   does it just come off those two clips,   what is on the other side,  does the knob need to be pulled off first?

1893566884_BV1000MMasterVolume.thumb.jpg.feb37442614189583c8c0174ceb948b2.jpg

Yes that’s it. The volume knob pulls off then undo the nut on the pot which holds the board in place. There is no obvious opening to spray the cleaner into but a general spray all around cleaned mine up nicely. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, King Tut said:

Was the gain turned right down? I know on my tube version, the clip light can come on with the gain zeroed. I had a bit of a panic at a gig once u til I realised what I had done

Thanks for the tip, but I didn't touch the amp at all during the break. It wasn't operator error, it was a non functioning amp. I spent many years as a touring backline tech, my under pressure trouble shooting is still pretty good. I tried it again this morning, the power amp section is dead. I'm very happy that other owners have not had this experience. Luckily, gear4music has a good returns policy. I shall stick with my Markbass head, with Elf as backup.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Deja vu all over again.

Most of that spray will go over the outside of the LEDs. You really need to take the volume control board out. Ensure that the mains power is off and completely disconnected, remove the top cover, remove the volume control knob ( just pull outwards) and undo the nut holding the pot and its board in place. There is no need to disconnect the cable just don't pull on it. Spray the rectangular pot body nd rotate the volume shaft over its whole range. In my experience this does the trick. If in any doubt take it to a tech to do.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

Thanks for the tip, but I didn't touch the amp at all during the break. It wasn't operator error, it was a non functioning amp. I spent many years as a touring backline tech, my under pressure trouble shooting is still pretty good. I tried it again this morning, the power amp section is dead. I'm very happy that other owners have not had this experience. Luckily, gear4music has a good returns policy. I shall stick with my Markbass head, with Elf as backup.

I know exactly what you mean. I can't gig Markbass since my MB head stopped working at a dep gig. Like you I always have a back up so the gig wasn't screwed, and I know it's irrational many many people gig MB gear without a hitch, but I can't .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I know exactly what you mean. I can't gig Markbass since my MB head stopped working at a dep gig. Like you I always have a back up so the gig wasn't screwed, and I know it's irrational many many people gig MB gear without a hitch, but I can't .

I am the same here, if something failed like that the first time I used it, I am never going to feel comfortable with it again, so there is no point having it. I can just about cope with something failing if it has previously given very good service if it just does it once (my xvive for instance)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I am the same here, if something failed like that the first time I used it, I am never going to feel comfortable with it again, so there is no point having it. I can just about cope with something failing if it has previously given very good service if it just does it once (my xvive for instance)

Same here too. The only amp that has ever tripped out on me mid first gig was a Markbass F500. There was nothing wrong with it but I was pushing it too hard because I was used to my LM3 which never skipped a beat. I sold the F500 shortly thereafter.

Edited by Sparky Mark

I used to work for Panasonic. At that time we were the best in consumer electronics with a fault ratio in the first year of well under 1%. At that time all other CE companies inc. Sony etc were over 1%. 

Now it does not matter whether the failure or fault ration was 0.01%, if you own one of the faulty ones, your failure rate is 100%. 

As together Bugera, I have not yet even tried my 2nd one so will do so and report back. 

I might be tempting fate, but at one band rehearsal a power surge caused my GK MB500 amp to go completely dead but fortunately I could use a spare channel on the keyboard amp for the rest of the evening. Next day I opened up my amp, fearing the worst, found and replaced the blown main power fuse and all was well again and has been fine ever since on many gigs and rehearsals. Nothing is 100% reliable and best practice is to have a fallback solution of either a spare amp or DI into the PA or whatever works for you in a particular situation. Although a failure,  particularly early on in ownership, can knock confidence in a bit of kit, I have repaired dozens of amps that have gone on to subsequently provide reliable service for many years. Unless a design is known to be weak or flawed, I'd personally always give give it another go.

On 23/12/2022 at 11:21, stewblack said:

I had the same thing with a Warwick bass. Biggest gig of my life, and the Warwick messed it up. Nobody noticed of course, but I did.

it’s also good to know that I’m not the only one that routinely packs two of everything (including amps!)

• Like 1