Why become a member? ×

Bugera Bargain at G4M

stewblack

These are crazy good value, I just bought one at £200 and I'm really happy with it at that. The amp actually measures in at just over 700W and essentially has a flat response with the tones set to 12.00. They are really nicely put together too even the fan is reasonably quiet and the eq centres are well chosen, the one knob compressor not too aggressive and so on. 

I'm tempted by the BQ250 as well, again a crazy price for a very serviceable backup/practice amp

Had mine for 18 months and really happy with it - provides me with an excellent back up / alternative to my DG M900 AO which costs loads more - the Bugera really is incredible value for money!

14 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

These are crazy good value, I just bought one at £200 and I'm really happy with it at that. The amp actually measures in at just over 700W and essentially has a flat response with the tones set to 12.00. They are really nicely put together too even the fan is reasonably quiet and the eq centres are well chosen, the one knob compressor not too aggressive and so on. 

Why am I not surprised to find out that we've got this piece of kit in common, Phil? 🙂

You mention good EQ centre points - do you know what these actually are for the ultra-low, bass, treble, and ultra-high? The variable mids are obviously marked on the unit, but I couldn't see any mention of the rest in the manual?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

You mention good EQ centre points - do you know what these actually are for the ultra-low, bass, treble, and ultra-high?

No, this was just an initial impression, some amps you just can't make the change to the sound you want and others are entirely intuitive, hard to get a tone you don't like and this is what I found.

Hopefully when we get time to start collecting measurements we can let you know.

Thanks to the heads up from the original poster, I got one of these. Take my comments with a grain of salt, since I'm a reformed guitarist and beginning bassist. Mine has the quirk that if you adjust the master volume whilst playing, it crackles. If you adjust it without playing it's fine. I think I can live with this since quite a few people have reported this and there's no guarantee a replacement wouldn't have the same issue.

I tried this first though phones (Beyer 770) with a Squier Bronco newly strung with Labella flats. The amp set flat sounds quite modern which I was expected. I wanted things a little more bassy so I ended up with Mid at 1.6, bass and mid at 1:00, and treble at 9:00 or so. Input gain at noon and beyond added a nice texture to things. The comp I didn't mind at 9:00 or so, but I didn't spend much time with it. Low enhance button sounded decent too. I thought I didn't have a speaker to test this with but looking at the Bugera, it has a mic level line out and I have an SR Jam 100 acoustic amp type thingy. Hmm. So I tried it and it sounded ace. The gain was at 12 and the Master all the way down and it still passed sound to the amp. Obviously, I can't push this at all, but I at least confirmed that it's working OK.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I have both iterations of this amp. Very different in terms of getting a sound, but not difficult to 'dial in' (as the cool kids say).

I'm going to be trying them both on my mini Trace stack when the second cab arrives today.

In an ideal world I'd have preferred the valve version, but for £150 I'm not complaining! Will be interesting to see the comparison between this and the Trickfish that was literally 10 times the price!

20221206_125459.thumb.jpg.2be6caca5d4ac97ac36de023e81d422b.jpg

• Like 2

Mine arrived today, sounds pretty decent set flat, and the knobs all do what they're supposed to do. I'll try it out next gig, but I'll be going into the fx return via a Noble pre. I'm not a great fan of class D amps generally, but there seems to be enough headroom to deliver enough of the h-word. We'll see. 

• Like 2

Give it a month and we'll see 50 Bugera Veyrons for sale here! 😂

I've not plugged mine in yet, but I will say that the build quality is really quite good! A nice brush solid metal chassis, a convenient built in handle, good stiff (but not too stiff!) knobs, nice clicky buttons. S'all good on the build front.

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 3