Why become a member? ×

Hofner Beatle basses - so bloody many in the range!

tredders

I quite fancy a Hofner Beatle bass (500/1), so decided to start looking at the Hofner website.  Blimey, I thought that Fender milked their Precision / Jazz range to death, but it seems that Hofner is just the same.   In my naivety, I was anticipating a cheap model, a midrange model, and an expensive model.  However, from my initial quick look, the range is as follows:

• Ignition model - entry level, made in Indonesia(?) - based on the 70's 500/1, hollow.
  • Contemporary model - made in China, with sustain block.  Uses German electronics and pups.
  • Hofner Artist '63 model - made in Germany.  "The '63 is inspired by the bass we made in 1963 for Paul McCartney."  Bridges pickup closer to the bridge.
  • Hofner 500/1 1961 Cavern Violin bass.  "Inspired by the original 1961 model which was purchased by Paul McCartney in Hamburg."  Different pickup spacing on this mode - bridge pickup much closer to the neck pupl.

• Hofner 500/1 1962 Mersey Violin bass.  "Based on Paul McCartney’s 1962 Violin Bass"

• Hofner 500/1 1961 Vintage Violin Relic.  "Inspired by the original 1961 model which was purchased by Paul McCartney in Hamburg."  I assume this is the same as the Cavern bass above, but relic'd.

• Höfner Violin Roof Top Bass 69.  "Replica of the 1963 bass played by Paul McCartney at the legendary "Rooftop" concert in January 1969

Prices range from £269 to £2500.  

Looks to me as though there are 2 cheap models (Ignition and Contemporary), no mid-range models, and the remainder are high end (ranging from £1600 - £2500).

I've actually just bought a (slightly upgraded) Ignition from here for a decent price to try out, but assuming I like it and decide to buy a more expensive model, I'm not sure which I'd go for.  Lots of basses "inspired" by different Macca basses, but which is the definitive Beatle bass?  Cavern?  Artist?  Roof Top?  Relic?

Can't think it would be an easy ask to go to a shop and try all of them, although I know Bass Direct advertises (nearly) all of the above.

Anyone owned one of the German models who can comment on it?

Cheers!

• Like 1

You've done a similar amount of research as I did before I bought 61 and 62 Ignition versions to decide which pickup positions I preferred. I chose Ignition over Contemporary because I wanted the hollow body so to be closer to the German versions. I preferred the 61 and will at some point get a German example. You appear to have a connection with Warwickshire so get down to BD to try Mark's stock; that's the only way to know what's best for you.

20200313_162958.thumb.jpg.2cecbf6983df718dda156e4d01be6138.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tredders said:

Nice looking pair of Hofners.  Have you done much to them?

Removed pickguard, fitted genuine Hofner teacup knobs and truss rod covers and blacked the pickup surround screws with a Sharpie. I sold the 62 on here a few months back.

20220620_172809.thumb.jpg.7f5d0bc2b79691630929cf086b96cff7.jpg

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 2

There are basically TWO types of Hofner Beatle bass ... the ones built in Germany (bloody expensive but the real deal) and the ones built under licence in China (relatively cheap and no real indicator of what Macca actually played).

Apart from the quality of the components and the different type of finish (you really want nitro) by far the most obvious difference is that cheap copies - including the made-under-licence versions - have a "central sustain block". Trans: Instead of being hollow-bodied and made using traditional violin-building techniques and bracing, they have a bloody great lump of 4x2 running down the middle onto which everything else is glued & screwed.

What this means is that the cheapo versions weigh substantially more, have a completely different balance to them, and because of the plasticky finish and cheap knobs have a completely different feel to them.

Does any of this matter? The Ignition and the Contemporary are both fine basses, play well and sound good. Yes, I've owned both. Above all, to the ignorant audience they LOOK like a Beatle bass. If I was asked to join a Beatles tribute, I would have no hesitation in buying one of these and doing the usual substitute-the-teacup-knobs thing.

But if what you want is to know how it felt for Macca to play this bass then you should avoid the cheapo jobbies like the plague. The instant you pick up a genuine German-made Hofner it's totally obvious that they're chalk & cheese. I've had several, including the 1963 RI, and I have a genuine 1964 hanging on the wall next to me as I write this. These are quality instruments and a piece of true craftsmanship, but that costs.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

There are basically TWO types of Hofner Beatle bass ... the ones built in Germany (bloody expensive but the real deal) and the ones built under licence in China (relatively cheap and no real indicator of what Macca actually played).

Apart from the quality of the components and the different type of finish (you really want nitro) by far the most obvious difference is that cheap copies - including the made-under-licence versions - have a "central sustain block". Trans: Instead of being hollow-bodied and made using traditional violin-building techniques and bracing, they have a bloody great lump of 4x2 running down the middle onto which everything else is glued & screwed.

What this means is that the cheapo versions weigh substantially more, have a completely different balance to them, and because of the plasticky finish and cheap knobs have a completely different feel to them.

Does any of this matter? The Ignition and the Contemporary are both fine basses, play well and sound good. Yes, I've owned both. Above all, to the ignorant audience they LOOK like a Beatle bass. If I was asked to join a Beatles tribute, I would have no hesitation in buying one of these and doing the usual substitute-the-teacup-knobs thing.

But if what you want is to know how it felt for Macca to play this bass then you should avoid the cheapo jobbies like the plague. The instant you pick up a genuine German-made Hofner it's totally obvious that they're chalk & cheese. I've had several, including the 1963 RI, and I have a genuine 1964 hanging on the wall next to me as I write this. These are quality instruments and a piece of true craftsmanship, but that costs.

All true other than the Ignition versions don't have the centre block like the Contemporary range. The Ignition has a small brace underneath the bridge saddle, the rest of the body cavity is open. This makes the Ignition on a par weightwise with the German versions.

• Like 1

It does make you think that the Ignition models are more preferable to the CT ones, especially the new Ignition SE, which seems to include the 'correct' knobs and a few other bits.

For just over £300, not too shabby to approximate THAT sound.

Still prefer the Club models though, especially the black one.

Si

• Like 1

The CT versions are finished to a higher standard and use better quality components than the Ignition Series. They also have the laminate nut, zero fret and the gap underneath the fretboard which allows the traditional Hofner strap to be used. The CT does cost roughly twice the amount of an Ignition for these differences however.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in the mid 80's you could pick up a 60's 500/1 for, less than a new Squier or Tokai bass. I picked up 2 during this time a 1964 Violin bass which cost £175 which, I sill have to this day, & a 1964 Senator bass which cost me £150. I let the Senator go for a new MIM Fender Jazz in the 90's not one of my best ideas.

My friend had the CT Cavern bass and it looked really good but I'm, amazed how much the German made basses cost these days it's like Fender CS money.

The best £175 I ever spent on a bass guitar.

20200924_124518 (2).jpg

20220926_161547.jpg

20220926_164741.jpg

• Like 11

The only issue I have with Hofners is that the short scale and super narrow string spacing means that if you play one as your main bass of you switch to a Fender or anything else with standard 19mm spacing (pretty much 99% of current production basses) it will feel huge by comparison, this is the main reason I don't play mine more often.

• Thanks 1

On 28/11/2022 at 05:10, Sparky Mark said:

The CT versions are finished to a higher standard and use better quality components than the Ignition Series. They also have the laminate nut, zero fret and the gap underneath the fretboard which allows the traditional Hofner strap to be used. The CT does cost roughly twice the amount of an Ignition for these differences however.

I agree. I liked my Contemporary Club a lot, though I did have to have the action lowered substantially--via bridge and nut reduction--to make it playable. Very good instrument with a distinctive tone. $850 US. 

• Like 1

On 28/11/2022 at 09:48, Sibob said:

It does make you think that the Ignition models are more preferable to the CT ones, especially the new Ignition SE, which seems to include the 'correct' knobs and a few other bits.

For just over £300, not too shabby to approximate THAT sound.

Still prefer the Club models though, especially the black one.

Si

I bought a black Ignition Club because I wanted 'that' sound on a budget but didn't want any Macca reference. 

I made a vintage cream pickguard and control plate to match the binding, rather than the anaemic white pearl they come with, bakelite knobs and a set of LaBella flats. 

It's not up there with a German made by any means but a very good, fully hollow bass for very little outlaw. 

I think the Ignitions are a cheap way of dipping your toe in the water to see if you want a full fat german made. 

• Like 3

Whereas I was unimpressed by the Ignition. Nothing actually wrong with it, but the Epiphone sounded better and the Harley Benton was equally well finished and - at that time - cost half the price with a hard case included.   Of course, neither said 'Hofner' on the headstock, but when Im only using it for one Beatles song per gig I decided to live with that wee compromise.

What I'd really like is a proper 500/1, but sadly at that price level there are other basses in the queue ahead of it for me to acquire, but its turn will come.

Edited by Bassfinger
Atrocious spelifsjs
  • Like 1

On 01/12/2022 at 12:42, shoulderpet said:

The only issue I have with Hofners is that the short scale and super narrow string spacing means that if you play one as your main bass of you switch to a Fender or anything else with standard 19mm spacing (pretty much 99% of current production basses) it will feel huge by comparison, this is the main reason I don't play mine more often.

20220926_095331.thumb.jpg.d520936d64665c3ce971d0519094e626.jpg

Yeah it wasn't easy at first but eventually, it does get easier.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great thread guys…..

also hankering for a hofner….

ptob can’t stretch to a German one at this point but interested to understand the difference between the hofner ignition and the epiphone  copy?

ivr not had chance to try an ignition but I have tried the epiphone and honesty, it played great and thumped just like that hofner sound ….

i was surprised at just how much mojo it had to be fair, I could easily have taken it away and used it but for what it cost I think I’d be left wanting hofner written on the headstock.

is there any notable improvement for the extra cash  or is it simply down to just that, the name on the headstock ? 

1 hour ago, Wonky2 said:

Great thread guys…..

also hankering for a hofner….

ptob can’t stretch to a German one at this point but interested to understand the difference between the hofner ignition and the epiphone  copy?

ivr not had chance to try an ignition but I have tried the epiphone and honesty, it played great and thumped just like that hofner sound ….

i was surprised at just how much mojo it had to be fair, I could easily have taken it away and used it but for what it cost I think I’d be left wanting hofner written on the headstock.

is there any notable improvement for the extra cash  or is it simply down to just that, the name on the headstock ? 

If you cannot stretch to buy the German Hofner then the contemporary is the next best thing imo, that being said the tuners on the contemporary are awful so I swapped the tuners on mine for some nicer ones I brought from projectguitarparts. 

The Hofner ignition gets closer to the sound of the real deal than the contemporary but feels much less nice imo.

The German made blows them all out of the water imo, I don't own one because they are way out of my price range but they feel like a work of art and the tone is just gorgeous.

• Like 2

On 28/11/2022 at 01:27, Sparky Mark said:

You've done a similar amount of research as I did before I bought 61 and 62 Ignition versions to decide which pickup positions I preferred. I chose Ignition over Contemporary because I wanted the hollow body so to be closer to the German versions. I preferred the 61 and will at some point get a German example. You appear to have a connection with Warwickshire so get down to BD to try Mark's stock; that's the only way to know what's best for you.

20200313_162958.thumb.jpg.2cecbf6983df718dda156e4d01be6138.jpg

I have a question about the Ignitions: apart from all the differences stated in this topic, don't the Ignitions also have wider pickups than every other 500/1 model? I'm looking at a Club but those pickups...somehow they bother me.

2 hours ago, BassAgent said:

I have a question about the Ignitions: apart from all the differences stated in this topic, don't the Ignitions also have wider pickups than every other 500/1 model? I'm looking at a Club but those pickups...somehow they bother me.

No, they are not as fat as the current pickups which makes them look wider. The Ignition use the 65/66 format reintroduced on some 80s German models (below). If you visit the Hofner site you'll see the large number of different pup designs used over the years.

20230130_232953.thumb.jpg.f9d912bd97b0597c77134ec0e009fb10.jpg

Edited by Sparky Mark

• 3 months later...
On 28/11/2022 at 09:06, Happy Jack said:

Just a follow up to this - just after writing this original thread, I dipped my toe in the Hofner 500/1 pond and bought an Ignition model, which had had a couple of upgrades done to it.  I found it a cracking little bass - fun to play (took some getting used to the scale!) and great sounding.  This lead me to start looking for a German made model, and I very recently tracked down a beautiful 2010 German Hofner 500/1 62 RI (known as the Mersey bass).  Everything Happy Jack said in his quoted post is absolutely spot on.  The German model weighs significantly less than the Ignition, balances better on a strap, is better made, and plays and sounds much better.   This doesn't make the Ignition rubbish - I loved mine and it gave me the appetite to want a more expensive model, but it's like comparing a £200 P bass copy with a Fender CS P bass.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tredders said:

I loved mine and it gave me the appetite to want a more expensive model, but it's like comparing a £200 P bass copy with a Fender CS P bass.

Exactly right. We start with Squier and end up with Custom Shop or the real real pre CBS Fenders. The cheap models are a decent introduction to see whether the design is for you, then you pays your money and takes your choice.

• Like 1

On 28/11/2022 at 09:06, Happy Jack said:

Or for the full McCartney experience, you should first hanker after a Gibson EB-1 , then buy a cheaper copy by Hofner from a shop that will allow you to pay on hp...