Why become a member? ×

haung chung

stef030

so many years ago I heard a pretty cool band called haung chung who then changed their name to wang chung,

anyway I just remembered all about them today when I was doing some mick karn stuff on my new fretless,

so after  doing a playalong  on youtube bought the album of ebay just got to get it transferred onto disc 

does anyone else get these daft notions when playing at home

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 28/11/2022 at 12:21, Kiwi said:

Alan Murphy on guitar.  Later with Go West and then Level 42.  An incredible guitarist.

He was excellent, wasn’t he.

I think my favourite Alan Murphy track is (his playing on) Nick Heyward’s Warning Sign. His playing/parts elevate the track to another level, and make the song, for me.

And of course, Big Sky!

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, songofthewind said:

Ah, Alan Murphy. We knew  the Jazz Sluts guys and used to go and see them at The Oval. I remember him leaving on a bike with his guitar in a bag on his back. Such an unassuming guy.

Yes, that was the Cricketers.  I used to live not far away but it was about ten years later. I was going to try and write a bio on him but he was so private and unassuming that he didn't leave much material behind, apart from his music.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Yes, that was the Cricketers.  I used to live not far away but it was about ten years later. I was going to try and write a bio on him but he was so private and unassuming that he didn't leave much material behind, apart from his music.

A friend of mine used to run a website dedicated to Murph, but he stopped doing it as he received some nasty comments and, IIRC, it was from someone he knew. 

• 2 weeks later...

i remember seeing wang chung perform live for free at my university union bar ...it was pretty odd because there was only a few of us in there sitting around drinking and chatting at the time when suddenly unannounced they just start playing in the corner as a three piece with this drummer ...i guess it must have been some kind of low key warmup   ... they did quite a good version of lucy in the sky with diamonds which i'm pretty sure was what led them on to create dance hall days which clearly has the same kind of guitar work going on inside it.