Why become a member? ×

Would you fret a vintage fretless p bass?

Cscsiga

So I’m happy to own a 78 fretless P bass with rosewood fingerboard. It’s not original anyway because the finish was stripped down in the past. What do you think about it? I know there are plenty of aftermarket replacement necks but I love the look of the original. 

If the neck is an original 78 fretless neck or an genuine original fretless neck then if you want to fret if then I will find you and make you eat goulash every day until you see sense 😆

Basically, if the neck is an original vintage fretless neck then no. If it isn't then crack on.

Yeah I guess that’s why I’m hesitating. It’s an all original neck and I’m hundred percent sure I’d regret it. On the other hand if I have it done, I would not sell it ever.

I’m standing on the edge with this. 

I'm with all those that say fret it.

Get it done and play it.

does it have dots on the board? If not then you get the bonus of having a nice blank fretted board (this is just my own prejudice as I can not stand dots on a fretboard 🤣)

BITD I had my 1977 fretted maple neck Precision made into a fretless. As nice a job as it was, 35 years later I regret doing that. I should have left it alone and just bought a fretless bass. So, if yours is an original fretless neck my advice would be just get another fretted bass. 

• Like 1

It’s not that I don’t have a fretted bass. I’m grateful to have 3 other perfectly serving fretted basses. But that P has a totally different sound than the others and it would serve me better with frets in the music I play. 
But it’s interesting how devisive this topic is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cscsiga said:

It’s not that I don’t have a fretted bass. I’m grateful to have 3 other perfectly serving fretted basses. But that P has a totally different sound than the others and it would serve me better with frets in the music I play. 

... and if you have it fretted will it still sound the same?

22 minutes ago, Cscsiga said:

In that case, sell the fretless if its surplus to requirements and buy a fretted Precision.

1 hour ago, EssentialTension said:

You're divided about it yourself or you woudln't have asked.

Yeah sure but it’s also like when a shrink says I already know the answer and the decision has been made long before I asked the question. 
I’m more like in the “it’s a tool and it should serve you to do your craft” team. 

Edited by Cscsiga

Necks are IMO really important to the overall sound/response of electric guitars/basses - I would get a new/used fretted neck and if you like the sound, get the new neck cosmetically aged to match, or just buy a fretted P-bass for this project.

In my experience, irreversible destructive mods are a gamble that isn't worth taking on an instrument that you really like, or have money that you can't afford to lose tied up in.

• Like 3