Why become a member? ×

Would you fret a vintage fretless p bass?

Cscsiga

On 25/10/2022 at 08:02, Geek99 said:

Get a luthier to copy the neck dimensions and make it fretted

keep the fret less neck as it is 

This is what I did and got Shuker to make me a replica of my neck but fretless. To be honest, the replica fretless is nicer than the original Fender fretted.

22 hours ago, Cscsiga said:

I'm happy with the natural finish. Who'd stripped it did a great job. It has a satin some kind of wax layer and that's all. Besided I have 2 other sunburst P's. All in all you're right B124C3AB-2133-43AB-86B8-1B00D76DF6E1.thumb.jpeg.aafcaead725beeece60ebd207799b3ab.jpeg

That is absolutely beautiful, please don't hurt it by adding frets to that gorgeous neck. I'm happy to do a service to the Basschat community and buy the bass to protect it 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, BreadBin said:

@Grimalkin

I know you like to prove a point in here. I'm not going to get sucked into debating with you as it is a pointless waste of time.

The OP has stated that he plays by ear. I play by ear. Whether you think that is correct or not is irrelevant to me.

I play unlined, always have and use my ear and roll my finger if I need to adjust on the fly. As long as you have a strong ear and technique, then playing unlined is no different to playing a fretted bass, you just need to listen more to what you are playing. I find lines are way too distracting as you have a target to aim for all the time and found I was way less accurate rather than relying on my ear and technique alone. I have no issue if someone prefers lines or finds it easier, for me unlined is easier and more natural to my playing.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

You get hardly any time for pitch adjustment if at all above a certain tempo, and that tempo is quite low. The tracks by Willis and Lagrene above, I'd love to hear all that done without lines. Or maybe in a darkened room even...

What makes you think this and do you have any evidence to back this up? I don't see why having lines or no lines makes any difference if the player has good technique. What evidence do you have to back this up or is it just your opinion? What is the certain tempo that constitutes that unlined is now unable to pitch adjust?? 100bpm, 110, 97??

Edited by Linus27

Just now, Linus27 said:

What makes you think this and do you have any evidence to back this up? I don't see why having lines or no lines makes any difference if the player has good technique. What evidence do you have to back this up or is it just your opinion?

Just look how much time there is for individual note adjustment, claiming playing an unlined is just like playing a fretted, is for the birds...

Just now, Grimalkin said:

Just look how much time there is for individual note adjustment, claiming playing an unlined is just like playing a fretted, is for the birds...

So having lines changes time and the ability to adjust notes but if I had a line on my fretboard I would have more time??? Any proof to back this statement up that having a line gives you more time to adjust individual notes or again is this just your opinion? What about if I have a full proper fret, would that give me even more time or slow time down even more, would I actually be in credit with time?

Just now, Linus27 said:

So having lines changes time and the ability to adjust notes but if I had a line on my fretboard I would have more time??? Any proof to back this statement up that having a line gives you more time to adjust individual notes or again is this just your opinion? What about if I have a full proper fret, would that give me even more time or slow time down even more, would I actually be in credit with time?

You have no idea of what you are talking about.

• Haha 1

I'll stick with the guys who have a name on that instrument, nearly all but one have lines, and they all spend a lot of time looking at the board.

A name like Tony Franklin, he has a name on an instrument.  

Our Youngest plays my fretless, and has done for the last few years, in our little group, playing pop/rock, with stuff such as Radiohead, RATM, DeUS, Bashung, Bowie, SOAD, Noir Désir and more. The bass, plugged straight into our Hiwatt head, and rock on. No intonation issues, at whatever tempo the number calls for. On darkened stages, mostly, where, without LED's, no lines or markers could be seen anyway, still less 'quicker than the ear'. It's a non-issue, I say, if the player has had the patience and ability to learn how to do this. Our Youngest is not a superman, he just practices and gets it right. Others may struggle, maybe, but some, at least, are able to do this without sweating it. Can it be done..? Yes, of course it can. Can it be done by everyone or anyone..? Apparently not, to read some of the above. 👆

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grimalkin said:

It's pointless, you think a blank board looks cooler and I won't change your mind.

So again, where is the evidence I think a blank board looks cooler? Only a few posts above I say the following,

"I find lines are way too distracting as you have a target to aim for all the time and found I was way less accurate rather than relying on my ear and technique alone. I have no issue if someone prefers lines or finds it easier, for me unlined is easier and more natural to my playing."

Maybe if you didn't make things up all the time you might get a bit of credibility in what you say.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

"All that once was directly lived has become mere representation." Debord argues that the history of social life can be understood as "the decline of being into having, and having into merely appearing."

Guy Debord - The Society of the Spectacle.

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters: not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their cow poop. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free"

Dominic Toretto - Fast and Furious

Sorry, I wanted to do a quote as well, mine was equally as pointless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Linus27 said:

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters: not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their cow poop. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free"

Dominic Toretto - Fast and Furious

Sorry, I wanted to do a quote as well, mine was equally as pointless.

I'm sorry you don't understand.

• Rich locked this topic