Why become a member? ×

Replacement for Vox Bass Headphone Amp

Fuzzbass2000

On 30/09/2022 at 07:51, MrSpace said:

How is the Nux for picking up noise? I have a Blackstar Amplug (similar to the Vox) and I really like it, the only negative is that it picks up noise from my phone. 

I thought the Vox was quite shoddy - hissy, crackly wheels, poor construction (jack snapped off). The Nux in comparison is good sounding, not noisy, well built, rechargeable, Bluetooth for streaming music to play along to, 6x Preset settings for different effects like Modulation and distortion and eq (adjustable via the app). 

Something the Vox wins on is being able to adjust the Bass volume & tone and on-board click & beats as a stand alone unit. The Nux needs Bluetooth connection to the app to access those things. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

On 29/09/2022 at 23:38, Fuzzbass2000 said:

I've lost this gadget. Not the greatest sounding bit of kit in the world, but perfect for brushing up new songs in whilst on the road.  I see there's a Mk 2 - plus some other manufacturers

Can anyone give opinions on / recommend a replacement?

image.png.0c9cfb24780dae0fe6ac33a5c2395b98.png

Nux Mighty Amp Plug, without question.

The MP-2 version is around £60. There's a new 'PRO' version that uses USB-C rather than micro-USB, and it has a volume control on the unit itself, among other things, if that matters enough to you.

I've only had mine for less than a week but I'm really happy with it. 

The only possible drawback is that the only way to get an additional source (backing tracks whatever) is via bluetooth, no AUX socket. Not a problem in most situations but it's important to know.

I much prefer the EHX one, but does require a lead and, unless you have a small mixer, there’s no way to practice along with backing tracks.

I suppose if you’ve got a small mixer then we wouldn’t bd having this conversation….

I picked up this little Hotone Thunderbass on kijiji a couple of years ago , it will drive a cab but I generally use it with headphones , it has an aux in so I can plug in a tablet. I can quietly learn stuff. It does require a power adaptor , so there are some cables …

I use it a lot.

4983BD27-A0D6-46CB-BFCC-165DB0B47BA6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

My Nux Mighty Plug perhaps isn't so mighty, it has stopped working. 😥

Charging light comes on, but other than that it is dead for bluetooth or Bass and no other lights turn on, reset doesn't solve it.

Perhaps mucking about plugging it into a Laptop for firmware updates will sort it, it'll be a shame if it doesn't as it has been a good bit of kit and alternatives don't seem to be in the same league.

• Sad 2

Enjoying this little NUx Amp Plug thing. 

The extension cable is unnecessary but I prefer it that way than sticking out the bass. I can put it in my pocket or leave it lying next to me. I should have really got a right-angle jack 'though.

Visiting my parents in Spain, took some homework (got a bunch of songs to learn for a band I'll dep in next month) with me. My brother has one of my basses and he brought it over for me. 

Sounds great. :)

edit: I was really using the mobile for streaming the music but that's what I used to take the pic ;)

IMG_20221011_141749043_HDR.jpg?dl=1

Edited by mcnach

No joy with the my Nux getting revived. 

Some good wife work going on here  though - I was complaining my old Vox headphone amp broke and now the Nux has broke and the response was "oh I've got one of those for you"! (intended as a birthday present but I'd bought myself the Nux in the meantime)..... I'm not ungrateful but am not a fan of the Vox though, so the brand new one will be in the classifieds shortly if anyone's keen. Don't tell my missus though. 

It does lead me to the same question as @Fuzzbass2000 though as I don't think I'll get the Nux again and the Blackstar looks pretty much like a re-branded Vox with different rhythm tracks and no ability to adjust the rhythm volume independently. I had the Waza Air which were great but quite hard to justify >£330 for headphone practice,  I'm hoping their wireless latency free technology filters down to some cheaper products soon.

The Fender Mustang Micro might be worth a look https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-mustang-micro-personal-guitar-amplifier-2311300000

It has similar features to the Nux Pro but with more onboard control. A shame it doesn't have built-in rhythm tracks though.

Edited by SumOne