Why become a member? ×

jazz numbers with specific basslines

julietgreen

Most of the suggestions so far you can busk from a chord chart, right?  But the original example of Night in Tunisia is in a different category, as iReal is not going to bail you out here - the only option is to know it already.  I'd say more along the lines of All Blues, Footprints, Four on Six, the intro to Seven Steps from Heaven... if you DON'T play something approximating the original line, you're gonna get funny looks from everyone!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Most of the suggestions so far you can busk from a chord chart, right?  But the original example of Night in Tunisia is in a different category, as iReal is not going to bail you out here - the only option is to know it already.  I'd say more along the lines of All Blues, Footprints, Four on Six, the intro to Seven Steps from Heaven... if you DON'T play something approximating the original line, you're gonna get funny looks from everyone!

Although modern Jazz, I have played the two below enough times for them to fall into that category:

'Friday Night at The Cadillac Club' and 'Walk Between the Raindrops'.  Big Band vocal & instrumental versions.

• Like 1

Cannonball Adderley “Walk Tall”

Pharoah Sanders “Thembi”

Ramsey Lewis “Slippin’ Into Darkness”

Jimmy Smith “Root Down”

Yusef Lateef “Nubian Lady”

Anyone covering any of these can play whatever bass line they like, but the original parts are killer. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the link.👍

Lots of good info here but too bad they showed all but the last one ( I think) an octave lower than it should be and out of the range of standard 4 string bass, but I guess that's being picky. If the presenters actually played bass I bet it would be shown correctly.

Rant: Interesting stuff if you can handle the show off name dropping presenters who really know their stuff but are annoying. Typical of so many of these videos where the presenter tries to make it all about himself to make it more "interesting" and some of the good stuff gets lost amidst the keyboard riffs and talking. 🙄

Sorry to sound so negative, it's still early here and I haven't had enough coffee yet but I did like the material.

36 minutes ago, DaveFry said:

20 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

YES! This! Exactly.

21 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

That's not a funny look.

That's lust. They know it, and I know it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Staggering on said:

too bad they showed all but the last one ( I think) an octave lower than it should be and out of the range of standard 4 string bass, but I guess that's being picky.

I know what you mean... but the video is correct, as they are sat at pianos and therefore naturally using concert pitch charts.  But the bass is a transposing instrument (sounds an octave below) so like any other (sax, trumpet, ...bagpipes...) the same-sounding line on each chart will be written in a different place.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I know what you mean... but the video is correct, as they are sat at pianos and therefore naturally using concert pitch charts.  But the bass is a transposing instrument (sounds an octave below) so like any other (sax, trumpet, ...bagpipes...) the same-sounding line on each chart will be written in a different place.

You're right of course but I was sitting here thinking I should try a few of those lines on my bass and it would be a lot easier (for me) to not have to transpose up an octave, although that would be good thing to practice.😊

Because I’ve got a bass, I was asked to play “I wish I knew How it Feels to be Free” at a charity do two weeks ago - with no time to learn it by heart. (I’m just a one-chord-per-bar kinda guy).
So I had to read those dot things on lines across the page. Including such weird outcrops as G#s and D#s.  The part is all one speed - crotchets all the way: but because it walks through so many chord changes if you miss a single note, you’re completely adrift.
I hung on all the way through, although the singer started a bit late in verse 2 so I beat the pianist to his mini break by two bars (result!).

Funny thing is, nobody noticed, it went down really well and the charity got lots of donations.

Luckily, I can now return to the AC/DC covers band. And relax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1