Why become a member? ×

Most universal bass in all type of music from Your ears.

nilorius

5 hours ago, leschirons said:

Seems everyone is thinking only of sound. For me, it's any 5 string. With a twiddle here and a twiddle there, you can get a useable sound out of 99% of working basses.

Is it just me or does the B string on a five sound like a different instrument to the rest of the bass? To my ears it doesn't have a focused tone.

6 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Is it just me or does the B string on a five sound like a different instrument to the rest of the bass? To my ears it doesn't have a focused tone.

There are two possible causes here:

1. For the most part the low B in a standard 5-string set is far too low in tension. I wouldn't consider anything less than a 130 for B to complement a 40-100 set and ideally even a bit heavier. You might be able to improve matters by picking a B which is taper-wound at the ball end, but it will depend on other factors on the bass, mostly the break-angle over the saddle.

2. There is more to a 5-string bass than simply taking a 4-string and putting a wider neck on it. To get the best out of a low B the neck needs to be stiffer than normal and the joint between the neck and the body has to rock-solid. IME bolt-on necks only cut it on very expensive instruments, where the fit of the heel in the pocket is perfect.

IME cheap 5-string basses simply aren't worth the money. They're not well enough made to get the best out of the low B-string and all they do is put people off 5-string basses.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Part bass, part ears I would say. A low B starts at around 30hz, it's not the sensitive end of our spectrum. That's why you can get away with ropey intonation at the bottom end of a fretless neck, but not at the top.

1.png.4fbd05afe83762271c61fcf49db43481.png

24 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

There are two possible causes here:

1. For the most part the low B in a standard 5-string set is far too low in tension. I wouldn't consider anything less than a 130 for B to complement a 40-100 set and ideally even a bit heavier. You might be able to improve matters by picking a B which is taper-wound at the ball end, but it will depend on other factors on the bass, mostly the break-angle over the saddle.

2. There is more to a 5-string bass than simply taking a 4-string and putting a wider neck on it. To get the best out of a low B the neck needs to be stiffer than normal and the joint between the neck and the body has to rock-solid. IME bolt-on necks only cut it on very expensive instruments, where the fit of the heel in the pocket is perfect.

IME cheap 5-string basses simply aren't worth the money. They're not well enough made to get the best out of the low B-string and all they do is put people off 5-string basses.

I have managed a solution to the 5 string conundrum... I string mine high C instead.

But back to the OPs original question, for me tone wise it's a Jazz (I particularly like the pups wired in series) but as I hate bolt on necks with a passion it's a custom J with a set neck.

1 minute ago, AinsleyWalker said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but a unicorn is a mythical creature haha... nothing to do with "universal".

Sometimes people call unicorn as a thing that is meant to do for another feature, but can do all the features, too.

3 hours ago, Boodang said:

I have managed a solution to the 5 string conundrum... I string mine high C instead.

But back to the OPs original question, for me tone wise it's a Jazz (I particularly like the pups wired in series) but as I hate bolt on necks with a passion it's a custom J with a set neck.

I tried this but I couldn't get on with the sound and feel of the high C string on a 34" scale bass. IMO the same notes played 5 frets up on the G string always sounded better with more body to them. Everything on the high C sounded like bad jazz guitar. 

I think it's partly a scale-length thing because high C (and high E) on all my Bass VIs sound great, but I do treat them like a guitar rather than a bass and switch to a more "driven" sound when playing those strings.

On 19/09/2022 at 22:01, LukeFRC said:

double bass. 

Even in the genres where you don't normally see them the dude's 

a) learned to play the thing
b) worked out how to transport the thing
so I'm not messing with them!

Works for all genres including goth metal. Peter Steele used to play his on a chain strap for live shows.

2dce0910afa6d3adc2718b9334eebe48.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

1. For the most part the low B in a standard 5-string set is far too low in tension. I wouldn't consider anything less than a 130 for B to complement a 40-100 set and ideally even a bit heavier.

I thought the same with my MG Quantum 5 SPi. I tried many gauges, but .120 sounded the best ever against all expectations. Maybe the 35" scale and carbon graphite were parts of that equation.

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

This is a Unicorn Bass!

DSC_0034-scaled.jpg

That looks like someone spent too long wanting a GB bass, a alembic and a Spector and made their own 

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Works for all genres including goth metal. Peter Steele used to play his on a chain strap for live shows.

2dce0910afa6d3adc2718b9334eebe48.jpg

Exactly- I’m not messing with that guy