Why become a member? ×

Which gig bag for best protection?

ReeV0

Hi there,

I've been using my cheap Ibanez SR500 for the past ten years, and bought a basic Stagg soft gig bag with it at the same time. It's been carried around in it ever since. I like the gig bag because it is very light and comfortable to wear on my back. However, it offers little protection.

Now that I have joined a band, I bought a new and significantly more expensive bass - an Ibanez ATK810! I definitely don't want to be carrying it around in the Stagg gig bag. The bass came with it's own hard case, which fits the bass perfectly, but... it's very heavy and unwieldy, and has no shoulder straps...

So on recommendation I purchased this, however, I am returning it as the bass does not fit very well inside it and it is extremely uncomfortable to wear on my back!

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bass-Guitar-Foam-Case-by-Gear4music/C87

After having a little search online, I have yet to find a soft gig bag for my new bass that looks to offer similar protection to a hard case. I have a soft gig bag for my acoustic guitar, it is somewhat formed, with thick fur on the inside and shoulder straps. It is very light and comfy to carry. Is there a similar gig bag like that for bass?

Any suggestions welcome!

Edited by ReeV0

9 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

I’m sure others will be along soon to give their suggestions, but my favourite, which has served me well for years is the Mono Classic gig bag for bass guitar. Not cheap, but ticks the boxes.

Thanks, just googled it. Definitely not cheap!! 😁

12 minutes ago, ReeV0 said:

Hi there,

I've been using my cheap Ibanez SR500 for the past ten years, and bought a basic Stagg soft gig bag with it at the same time. It's been carried around in it ever since. I like the gig bag because it is very light and comfortable to wear on my back. However, it offers little protection.

Now that I have joined a band, I bought a new and significantly more expensive bass! I definitely don't want to be carrying it around in the Stagg gig bag. The bass came with it's own hard case, which fits the bass perfectly, but... it's very heavy and unwieldy, and has no shoulder straps...

So on recommendation I purchased this, however, I am returning it as the bass does not fit very well inside it and it is extremely uncomfortable to wear on my back!

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bass-Guitar-Foam-Case-by-Gear4music/C87

After having a little search online, I have yet to find a soft gig bag for my new bass that looks to offer similar protection to a hard case. I have a soft gig bag for my acoustic guitar, it is somewhat formed, with thick fur on the inside and shoulder straps. It is very light and comfy to carry. Is there a similar gig bag like that for bass?

Any suggestions welcome!

Sorry you don’t get on with the gear4music foam case, especially as it may have been me who

recommended it! Must admit I never use the back straps on mine, and still reckon it’s the best

protection before the hard case route. Hope you get sorted.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

I’m sure others will be along soon to give their suggestions, but my favourite, which has served me well for years is the Mono Classic gig bag for bass guitar. Not cheap, but ticks the boxes.

Were you referring to the M80?

Mono Vertigo and Gator Pro-Go are my personal favourites for conventionally shaped basses at the moment - Mono for the Ibanez SR, and the slightly roomier Gator for the Spector (because it's 35" so a bit longer) and Fender (because it's got 4+1 big tuners sticking out). If you've gone with a more expensive Ibanez SR, then the Mono is a really nice fit. I'd advise against the 'sleeve' version as it doesn't do very much to protect an angled-back headstock.

Never mind about the gig bag, tell us about the..

45 minutes ago, ReeV0 said:

I bought a new and significantly more expensive bass! I definitely don't want to be carrying it around in the Stagg gig bag.

And congrats on joining a new band🤘

Edited by BillyBass
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the great replies!

The case is for an Ibanez ATK810. The case that came with it was specifically made for this bass, and naturally it fits like a glove.

20220911_112139.thumb.jpg.dfcdabb0f2ac2479aec6a655bddd0e5e.jpg

20220911_111917.thumb.jpg.b4687fae4a7d9c3fdc1e4ec479e509dc.jpg

20220908_112552.thumb.jpg.4cb4423f85250b21015062a7465cb9f2.jpg

The problem with the other case I purchased (aside from the uncomfortable shoulder straps) was that there was so much movement in the case. The bass would shake about and the headstock tuner keys hit the bottom. I tried padding it out by using felt pieces cut to size, but it felt like a half-measure. 

20220908_112456.thumb.jpg.6aae9003d687978196abf643c45cf1f3.jpg

Looking at some of the pictures of the gig bags, could I possibly face similar issues?

image.thumb.png.318e0e2067a941fa7669481004396c0c.png

Is there another key indicator of protection other than padding thickness?

For example, the case above is £126 and has 25mm of padding (https://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_g_pg_bass_guitar_bag.htm)

But this case is £30 and has 20mm of padding... (https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/RedSub-Bass-Guitar-Gig-Bag/2RUJ)

Are there many other factors?

• Like 1

I think the Fusion Urban is the best for protection, mostly because the internal 'noodle' can be stuck into position in such a way that it completely fits the contour of your bass, just like your hard case. Oh I'm selling one, fancy that! Seriously though it's so satisfying putting a bass into the case when it fits perfectly!

Here's an example to show what I mean:

IMG_0031_zpsqfkeuaae.jpg

That means you can stuff a few pedals in there between the edge of the bag and the noodle... 

Here's the one I'm selling if you're interested

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/468025-fusion-urban-bass-gig-bag-will-post/#comment-4793901

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ped said:

I think the Fusion Urban is the best for protection, mostly because the internal 'noodle' can be stuck into position in such a way that it completely fits the contour of your bass, just like your hard case. Oh I'm selling one, fancy that! Seriously though it's so satisfying putting a bass into the case when it fits perfectly!

Here's an example to show what I mean:

IMG_0031_zpsqfkeuaae.jpg

That means you can stuff a few pedals in there between the edge of the bag and the noodle... 

Here's the one I'm selling if you're interested

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/468025-fusion-urban-bass-gig-bag-will-post/#comment-4793901

That looks pretty cool! I like that you can adjust the inside to fit and that it looks like the bass is suspended? Do you know if the ATK810 would fit? It's pretty long, I believe 35" scale. Cheers

3 minutes ago, ReeV0 said:

That looks pretty cool! I like that you can adjust the inside to fit and that it looks like the bass is suspended? Do you know if the ATK810 would fit? It's pretty long, I believe 35" scale. Cheers

Internal dimensions are here

https://www.fusion-bags.com/collections/urban/products/urban-bass-guitar-gig-bag

It would probably fit, the ATK has a 2+2 headstock and not much body behind the bridge

• Like 1