Why become a member? ×

Apply peer pressure! Help me decide between these two black & white MIJ P Basses.

SumOne

MIJ PB 57 (93) vs MIJ PB-62 (85)  

36 members have voted

1. 1. MIJ PB-57 (93) vs MIJ PB-62 (85)

• MIJ PB 57 (1993, Maple)
    • MIJ PB 62 (1985, Rosewood)

Yeah I’d never be able to listen to a band & state maple or rosewood, can just tell the difference between my own basses.

I did take one of each to a rehearsal and the opinion of the band was that the maple sat in with the whole band better but that the rosewood sat lower, enabling the guitar to stand out with better separation between it and the bass. 

• Like 1

I know you’ve already said but for that amount of dosh and to really know what you like best and be forever* satisfied, I’d go there. 2 hours there, make your mind up, the two hours back will fly by as you glide home safe in the knowledge that you’ve got the right one. 

I like the grain on the ‘85 headstock. If you’re using rounds I’d go for rosewood and maple for flats IMO but these could be different!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ped said:

I know you’ve already said but for that amount of dosh and to really know what you like best and be forever* satisfied, I’d go there. 2 hours there, make your mind up, the two hours back will fly by as you glide home safe in the knowledge that you’ve got the right one. 

I like the grain on the ‘85 headstock. If you’re using rounds I’d go for rosewood and maple for flats IMO but these could be different!

Yeah, if a big majority of people on here said 'definitely go for X' because that is a great deal and is technically a much better year/pickups etc and the other one looks like a fake then it would've swayed me but with the votes exactly 50/50 so it sort of confirms my indecision! 

I'll do the sensible thing and will wait a while to see if my current Bass sells on here, if it doesn't then I'll make the journey to Bass Bros at some point to take them up on their part-exchange offer and will try out both Basses in-person (or perhaps others will be better). 

So thanks everyone, (for nothing! 😀)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Buy a squier and save some dosh!

That is possibly a good call, it's all too easy to get carried away with thinking more ££ = better. Although, old ones seem to cost a lot. Bass Bros have a 1984 Squier P Bass for £1,249 

I spent a couple of hours in the Bass Gallery a couple of weeks ago going through a lot of their P Basses and it was a relatively cheap (£699) brand new MIM Player series one that I liked the best. That probably goes to show that me starting this thread was a waste of everyone's time and I really should just try before I buy as there isn't any accounting for taste!

Edited by SumOne

22 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Images not loading for me.

I'm not sure what's happened there, they were working but have now gone. 

Basically there isn't much in it: Both black MIJ P bass with white pickguard, one is 1980s with rosewood the other is 1990s with maple (that one is slightly cheaper, lighter, more scrapes). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

I spent a couple of hours in the Bass Gallery a couple of weeks ago going through a lot of their P Basses and it was a relatively cheap (£699) brand new MIM Player series one that I liked the best. That probably goes to show that me starting this thread was a waste of everyone's time and I really should just try before I buy as there isn't any accounting for taste!

If you're in London and can get to Enfield then it might be worth dropping in to Fender Fever. They have loads of MIJ reissues, including ones that are pretty similar to the ones you're after .....

https://www.fenderfever.com/bass

They're a bit more spenny, but you might be able to haggle him down a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The barrel saddles (instead of threaded) and the smaller Gotoh GB10 tuners with narrower tuning posts give the '57 away as likely a PB57-53, which is in fact not made of alder as the website suggests, but of basswood (which could explain the weight). It's the most basic and affordable version of the PB57. The ones to look out for are the ones with period-correct hardware, which do have alder bodies. At 799 GBP this PB57 is well overpriced IMO. 

The same likely goes for the E-series PB62 as well, as the little sticker with the 55 on the back of the headstock could designate it as a PB62-55. 

Screenshot_20220908-212654_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4e43d302f9152582d72f7da1a938d697.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

The barrel saddles (instead of threaded) and the smaller Gotoh GB10 tuners with narrower tuning posts give the '57 away as likely a PB57-53, which is in fact not made of alder as the website suggests, but of basswood (which could explain the weight). It's the most basic and affordable version of the PB57. The ones to look out for are the ones with period-correct hardware, which do have alder bodies. At 799 GBP this PB57 is well overpriced IMO. 

The same likely goes for the E-series PB62 as well, as the little sticker with the 55 on the back of the headstock could designate it as a PB62-55. 

Screenshot_20220908-212654_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4e43d302f9152582d72f7da1a938d697.jpg

My thinking too, but couldn’t be bothered to go look it up! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Yeah they'll both be basswood bodies. I had an E series PB-62 55 (same sticker) it was mint. As in as new. Sold it on here for £680 about a year ago if that helps. 

That's what it cost me to buy and import it from Japan. Lovely bass, just had too many at the time. 

**Edit - I just checked and I sold it for £880...I got mixed up with a MIJ Boxer PJ that I sold around the same time. Which was 2 years ago! My how time flies...especially when you're all mixed up 😆

Edited by miles'tone
  • Thanks 1