Why become a member? ×

I am done with it!

Guest aDx

not a sympathy thing just saying goodbye really

i am sick of trying to organise bands and sick of the same old covers!!  

no-one PLAYS anymore.....   and if they write their own I am too old!   

Still i am going out with the best bass setup/sound i have ever had!  so thats nice. I guess you have to know when you are done with it?

It will all be sold soon... 

Hope everyone finds there dreams!!  :)

Its not easy as we get older, can i suggest you pop the bass stuff away somewhere for a bit, give yourself a chance to sort out your head/find more likeminded players.  I have been through similar phases and its rubbish.  But what would be harder would be starting again buying gear to give you the best bass sound you have had.

Take time, hope you can and do find a bunch of the right folk to play with.

I am playing mostly original stuff and I'm very much the wrong side of 40, and Im the baby of the band...

Jonny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aDx said:

Still i am going out with the best bass setup/sound i have ever had!  so thats nice. I guess you have to know when you are done with it?

So write your own 🙂

Si

• Like 5

The most successful band I’ve been in was an originals band which I joined at 48 and left at 54, played 50+ gigs a year, festivals, toured overseas, albums released by record companies (tho not signed to them) etc.

It’s never too late, tho at 56 I now acknowledge my limits a bit better - hence why I left the above, but I’m still in an originals band.

So don’t give up hope, and even if taking a few years off if you have a bass you really connect with put it in its case under the bed/on top of the wardrobe, at some point you’ll most likely get the urge to play again.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 7

Don't give up, a lot of us have felt as you do (I did just last week after our weekly rehearsal).

Take some time off and try writing your own material and see how you get on.

Age wise I've just gone 65 so it's never to late.

• Like 4

I agree with most of the posts: it is never too late. I was 73 last June and am in 2 bands: a jazz quartet and a country band. Both bands do covers. I have discovered that if you show up for the audition on time and fully-prepped, you will blow away most of the competition.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, aDx said:

me Ar$e ! what sort of pish is this 🙂

if you pack in you will end up on the coutch watchin tv with the Missus 😞 do you really want that ?

i would do ANYTHING than watch tv, and i would do ABSOLUTLY ANYTHING than sit and watch tv with her.

Fu@k all that,

im 58, as well as playing in a 80s tribute show, i write all the songs for my 8 piece funk band and record them all

thats my love thang,

and i cant imagine a world where i could not do this, i would hate it, im in my studio having a break right now typing this.

get some recording gear, cheap now days, skol has done a great thred in the Recording section called BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO HOME RECORDING.

Dont wast that good sound you have been striving to get, get it down, create

if that does not convince you then this might....

creating songs and releasing them, dead easy nowdays, will be one of the only things you can leave here when your gone,

your name will always be attached with them songs, you will never die, also to learn all them songs over the years you will have gained alot of skill and knowledge, you going to let all that just go ? years of work ? with nothing to show for it ? no reward ? NOTHING ?

Naaarrrrrr,  what a wast.

If you have not tried then maybe think about writing, get some chunes out there and when you have done enough, you can decide if you want to surround your self with good players to play them live !

Because there is no Buzz on the planet like it.

Packin in ?? me Ar$e. 

comone... chin up

a tv bum ...or...  a creative soul.

Tonight matthew,, i am going to be............

Edited by funkgod
Image had uncensored swearing
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, funkgod said:

me Ar$e ! what sort of pish is this 🙂

if you pack in you will end up on the coutch watchin tv with the Missus 😞 do you really want that ?

i would do ANYTHING than watch tv, and i would do ABSOLUTLY ANYTHING than sit and watch tv with her.

Fu@k all that,

im 58, as well as playing in a 80s tribute show, i write all the songs for my 8 piece funk band and record them all

thats my love thang,

and i cant imagine a world where i could not do this, i would hate it, im in my studio having a break right now typing this.

get some recording gear, cheap now days, skol has done a great thred in the Recording section called BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO HOME RECORDING.

Dont wast that good sound you have been striving to get, get it down, create

if that does not convince you then this might....

creating songs and releasing them, dead easy nowdays, will be one of the only things you can leave here when your gone,

your name will always be attached with them songs, you will never die, also to learn all them songs over the years you will have gained alot of skill and knowledge, you going to let all that just go ? years of work ? with nothing to show for it ? no reward ? NOTHING ?

Fu@k all that,

I think its time you started writing, and when you have done enough, you can decide if you want to surround your self with good players to play them live !

Because there is no Buzz on the planet like it.

Packin in ?? me Ar$e. 

a tv bum ...or...  a creative soul.

Today matthew,, i am going to be............

bass.jpg.f11b8741fe1d65098061ea5086274462.jpg

I like the cut of your jib. OP says "no one PLAYS any more"??? Funny, but I hear plenty of people every day who do just that. Perhaps I'm dreaming.

Maybe he saw playing music as a means to an end - money, fame, recreational pharmaceuticals, loose women, fast cars and the like. If only.

As you so rightly say, do it for its own sake and enjoy it and treat any success is a bonus.

12 hours ago, aDx said:

I'll be 70 in a few months , started gigging at age 12 or 13 and I'm still having a blast. However, I found a band that was a perfect match for me. Good people, good gigs and good money.

I get and understand your situation. Starting a band is a big pain and very frustrating.

I get the feeling you're not as " done with it" as you think yoh are.

Blue

IMG_20220805_204344.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

Never Give Up. 
Im 51 now and playing  in several projects. This year formed a red hot classic rock covers band with an amazing singer 27 and incredible lead guitarist 28. Age isn’t always a barrier, mindset unfortunately  is!

08E1837D-DCD6-4B9A-A20C-99AAD2C8F62F.thumb.jpeg.642d59f02447b4c95582adaba37e04cf.jpegE46E84F3-29BB-43CA-9B0F-AC7FC1C67612.thumb.jpeg.ebb644ba035788f16f0305d52bc36fff.jpeg

5B30A6F5-6E5E-4CDC-B54B-941AD0809642.jpeg

Nice job!

Blue

• Thanks 1

I'm 35, so not the youngest or the oldest by any stretch, and have one established band and am just in the process of setting up a second band - both originals music. 

Have a look at www.joinmyband.co.uk there's a good few people out there looking for other musicians to make music with. 

It sounds like you might have had a few consecutive bad experiences, to me that just means you're overdue a good one! 

I say give it one last go, find some musicians local to you and try one last time to get something going - if that fails, then I'll buy your gear! 😂

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

Don't give up !!

I played in metal covers band in my 20's and never got anywhere but, I never gave up, I continued playing just for fun, a year ago I started playing in our church's worship team and I now play more bass, acoustic guitar and sing lead vocals than I have ever done before...I'm 54 next weekend. 

God has plans for us all, sometimes the right time is not right now.

Edited by Sardonicus
  • Like 1

I don't think there's such a thing as too old , although if you want to do originals and have success with them it'll be far , far harder than it is for a younger person.

If you find it frustrating - pack it in. Life's too short. It may be that after a break you find different ways to make music that make you happy. If that doesn't happen - fine. Other interests will take it's place.

I stopped trying to 'make it' at an early age. All I ever wanted to do was write songs and make a living at it. I had enough knock backs to change my mind. I took to playing bass in rock covers and blues bands because it's dead easy , makes a bit of beer money and there's always lots of gags and laughter. I don't even consider the two things linked. I gave up trying to be a songwriter and became a covers bass player. I could just as easily have become a mountain biker or restored an old car or whatever it is people do. That's how I see it. I'm retired now. As a volunteer I drive trip narrowboats , steward at a WW2 Bomber base visitor centre , survey headstones for the commonwealth war graves commission ,  check and maintain a bunch of defibs in nearby villages , stand outside covid jab centres in the pouring rain telling people where to park while trying not to punch those who abuse me and I'm on the Parish Council. I enjoy all of those things. I'm also in a reforming rock covers band. It's just part of my life , not a definitive. Do what makes you happy even if that means putting the bass up in the loft.

• Like 6

thanks for all the nice replies

well...  i am 65 september 18th ..  I have recorded lots of songs,,, so done that...   (they are er.... dreadful! lol)   i have a keyboard and sampler stuff to play with too

wife has said I have to keep the bass...  but i am going to sell everything else as a job lot

and just read Dr Daves reply.... nail on head!

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I honestly couldn't bear being in a covers-only band, my old lot did Hellraiser once and while that was fun, once was enough.

Dunno, it just seems that people get to a certain age the creativity just goes out of them and they just want to take the easy route.

Yeah, until I was in my last band the only similar aged (late 40s/early 50s) musicians I encountered were all about covers. Maybe it`s down to venues and their wants that leads this? 

I’ve been there and quit and sold all my gear. It wasn’t the answer 

The solution was finding the right people to play with in a band who become your buddies too.

Im 62 and enjoy playing good old rock classics and new rock and the audience don’t seem to care about band age.

We do have a younger super fit female singer that has an amazing voice and that helps a lot 

Take a short break and maybe find new people to gig with 

Bands always come and go - it’s just life. Lost track of how many apparently promising bands/ideas I’ve been part of have fallen apart in the end.

But if you’re into playing, and into your instrument, you’ll always find yourself looking for some to make music with. 

I’m 48 btw - no spring chicken but not retired yet, and with a full time job, kids etc - but a couple of good covers bands, some original stuff and some stuff just for fun ticks the boxes nicely for me. 

Never gonna be famous or rich - don’t care. It’s about enjoying the journey not the goal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aDx said:

but i am going to sell everything else as a job lot

Cash is suffering much greater depreciation than bass gear thanks to inflation. Hang onto it. Then you have no impediment to grabbing an opportunity to get back into bassing.

I was out of 'the scene' for a few years and hardly so much as picked up a bass. Didn't even cross my mind to sell my gear.

These days I am mostly playing jazz after impressing a jazzer in the audience at an open mic. I had installed myself as house bassist playing along with whatever needed bass, rock country reggae pop original samba groove, you name it I played it, or dropped out if I had no idea wtf was happening.

The jazzer had a drummer lined up for an improv project. We had one jam and lined up a gig. It paid a pretty penny to play whatever came to mind as loud as we liked. Best rates ever. Private parties for fans. Damn I miss that band!

5 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Dunno, it just seems that people get to a certain age the creativity just goes out of them and they just want to take the easy route.

I'd say it's more a case of realising, when you reach "a certain age" and become more musically knowledgeable, that what you fondly and naively imagined to be "creativity" was nothing of the sort.

Hey Ad...

Deja vu???

There has always been a shortage of good, committed musicians locally,  finding a good drummer has always been a problem and I know you've been banging your head against the wall for years. 

For all the years I've known you (remember selling me that Ohm combo back in the 80s?) you have always been more committed than those around you.

Yes, I know that you have gone through many periods when you were disillusioned , unsurprisingly when it's so hard to get like minded others here but you know that. Rather than playing with a target at the end of it, just play for your own enjoyment. 

Stick with it fella.

You'll be back. 

Edited by TheGreek

5 hours ago, aDx said:

thanks for all the nice replies

well...  i am 65 september 18th ..  I have recorded lots of songs,,, so done that...   (they are er.... dreadful! lol)   i have a keyboard and sampler stuff to play with too

wife has said I have to keep the bass...  but i am going to sell everything else as a job lot

and just read Dr Daves reply.... nail on head!

Without knowing what your gear is, I doubt you'll find a buyer for a job-lot. Best to separate it out in my opinion (again, pending what you have).

Si