Why become a member? ×

Jam night skills?

Waddycall

14 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Ah, I steer clear of jam nights and the like. While I'm a decent enough technical player, and have the rare skill of being able to read music, I have the zero imagination and even less spontaneous creativity skills, so jamming is out for me.

Respect to anyone that can make it up as they go along, and sound good while doing so.

I don't think reading music and sight reading is a rare skill. Plenty of musicians around the world are very capable of understanding the dots.

Although, from what I have read on Basschat over the years, it may well be rare for many Basschat members. And there is nothing wrong with that. 

They probably prefer the Tab route, or, just using their ears.

Of course, on the other hand, there are plenty who read and use their ears to a high standard.

5 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

. . . . Then a few more awkward minutes before 'we' left.

Awhile ago a friend started turning up at our jam. He's a singer, harp player and we've occasionally gigged together over the years. To our surprise he lugged in a keyboard. He was taking his playing from the front room to the stage. When he started he was terrible. But after a year or so with us he started playing keys in his band. The jam served it purpose, to have fun, learn and meet people.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

I’m in the house band that has done the Sunday jam at the local blues dive for the last twenty five years. Most of the players that come up are regulars (we’ve been at it for quite a while) and it’s pretty much an old school blues jam. Most everyone is an experienced player.

We still have fresh faces turn up, and there’s always young ones that get the interest and become regular.

And every once in a while someone will sit in and completely drop the ball. Every Sunday will range from a little hell to absolute wonder. That’s the nature of it. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, lowdown said:

I don't think reading music and sight reading is a rare skill. Plenty of musicians around the world are very capable of understanding the dots.

Although, from what I have read on Basschat over the years, it may well be rare for many Basschat members. And there is nothing wrong with that. 

They probably prefer the Tab route, or, just using their ears.

Of course, on the other hand, there are plenty who read and use their ears to a high standard.

We could have a poll and see. I would contend that among non classical musicians us music readers are in a clear minority.

Edit - what the hell, have started a poll to see. 

Edited by Bassfinger

On 20/08/2022 at 19:07, lowdown said:

If you are offered a Bass solo and are a Bassist that doesn't like taking solos, say so. You don't want to end up in the 'Worst Bass Solos' thread...

😁

I play regularly at a jazz jam. Somehow, any time something I like and over which I could solo competently (for an amateur in rural England) appeared then either the bass solo would be forgotten or someone else would play over it, etc. etc. If it was an unfamiliar/complicated piece I'd not fancy risking then the chance of a cry of "bass solo!" and everyone stopping to listen would increase. I think this is mostly fixed now, though.

What makes the session go well is communication. Things are usually fine when someone clearly names the piece and the key (the actual key, not the first note of the melody or root of the first chord)*, explains any special arrangement they want, waits for those who require them to find the iReal charts or real book, then clearly counts everyone in* rather than simply starting to play and hoping everyone comes in.

Probably a lot easier at a blues jam, but paying close attention to the form and where we are in it is something that improves the performance no end and is often neglected.

* Guitarists...

• Like 4

On 20/08/2022 at 19:07, lowdown said:

If you are offered a Bass solo and are a Bassist that doesn't like taking solos, say so. You don't want to end up in the 'Worst Bass Solos' thread...

😁

I don't play many 'solos', but once when I was asked I just stood there smiling, looking at the audience from side to side... then I struck one big fat note (whatever was the root at the time) and let it ring, trying to look very pleased with myself. People laughed (with me, I hope, not at me!) and we moved on. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

I don't play many 'solos', but once when I was asked I just stood there smiling, looking at the audience from side to side... then I struck one big fat note (whatever was the root at the time) and let it ring, trying to look very pleased with myself. People laughed (with me, I hope, not at me!) and we moved on. 

I know a drummer who chose to go "off piste" for his solo. He shuffled to the front of the stage, to the astonishment of the band, and played the ocarina, not very well.  I believe he wasn't asked back!

• Haha 4

I don't think I've been to a jam night as such... the nearest is a) the occasional open mic where a couple of open micer's get up do do an impromptu song together b) folk sessions where peopel join in with each others songs.

But a formal Jjm (especially blues) fills me with dread for the following reasons (some of which may be mis-perceptions)

• Clique-y-ness
  • fear of people not getting a fair 'turn'
  • I don't read music
  • I don't have a good ear for working out chords (but I can improvise to a chord chart)
  • fear of too much 'widdling'
  • fear of failure
  • song selection be too cliched

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this thread, how do you persuade suitable singers to turn up? 

I have sweet talked any number, only to find they don’t show.

Thus by 10pm I am dreading having to ‘play for time’ and spin out the last hour with myself and another instrumentalist doing our best.

3 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

I have sweet talked any number, only to find they don’t show.

Thus by 10pm I am dreading having to ‘play for time’ and spin out the last hour with myself and another instrumentalist doing our best.

No idea, they just show up. You don't really need decent singers. Anyone having a go is just fine. Even rappers or spoken word can work. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

No idea, they just show up. You don't really need decent singers. Anyone having a go is just fine. Even rappers or spoken word can work. 

While respecting your point of view, Steve, I would not be happy with that  as a punter. So how can I be happy taking money to put the thing together?

Paying a singer is a possibility but the jam is a budget one. 

26 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

While respecting your point of view, Steve, I would not be happy with that  as a punter. So how can I be happy taking money to put the thing together?

Get the bar to sponsor a free bar tab for random singers.

You'll get the odd one that can't sing their way out of a paper bag but 'you get what you pay for'. Working singers don't mind lending their pipes if they can get a couple of nice beverages out of it 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

. . . . . . .

Players turn up to jam nights because they know they're going to have fun and they will be able to bring the songs they want to play. A well run jam night will attract better players. If singers don't turn up the house band singer does the lot. Same as me last month, when, unusually, we had no bass players.

I do a regular jam night and several deps for jams and the house band always gets paid. None of us would do it if we didn't.

• Thanks 1

On 25/08/2022 at 18:10, Count Bassy said:

two problems I find with jams is that:

A: there is a bass player on stage who doesn't want mgive way,

and

B: That bass player is way better than me anyway.

And

C. I'm not really an improviser

and

😧 I can't count

So your an imposter then and not a count at all. 🕵️‍♂️

• Like 1

My experience is that it's very varied, some times you will play well known songs like Brown Eyed Girl etc, other times you will play something you've never heard of before. If you are a visitor rather than a member of the house band, it is a lot easier as you can play what you know. When i've played in house bands there is a lot of improvisation and watching other musicians for changes. I have never done a Jazz jam night and most of what I have done has been "popular" songs which do tend to follow similar chord progressions and structures, a few differences here and there, so after a while you do get a feel for it! 

I did one night have a man talk to the band leader about playing a 12-bar blues, he kept asking if the band knew how to play blues in A minor and saying how he's tried to do jam nights before but none of the musicians have ever been able to keep up with him playing in A minor... band leader reassured him that we were all competent musicians and that we would be able to play blues in A minor as he requested... Drummer counts 1, 2, 3, 4... the house guitarist, keyboard player and myself all play A minor... the singer/guitarist who had requested that we play in A minor then proceeded to play a B major... turns out it wasn't any other bands fault that they couldn't play with him in A minor... he couldn't do it himself apparently! Needless to say after that seamless start, we all shifted up a tone and sharpened our thirds and it sounded a little better!

There can be awkward moments but it is great to push yourself as a musician and move you out of your comfort zone in terms of different styles of music.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We had a guy turn up who wanted to be Jimi Hendrix. He said he played in the original keys and the original arrangements, so I had a listen to the records and was ready for him on the next jam. He didn't play in any original keys and didn't play any discernible chord structure, but he did play the most awful, distorted nonsense on 11 for his 2 songs. The band leader now knows I prefer not to play with him any more.

• Haha 4

Some years ago I used to regularly attend several of the local Jam nights, both as a punter and later as part of house bands. I found it great for ear training and improvisation as it made me think on my feet.  If I didn't know the song I'd ask what the chords were and off we'd go.  It was usually fine until we got to a bridge or a middle eight which of course he'd forgotten to mention 😀😃.  Sometimes I'd get a guitarist who knew how to play the chords but didn't know what they were called. 😒 Over the weeks I would hear songs that were regulars so I'd be sure to learn them in case I was ever called upon to play them.  Several good bands were spawned out of these Jam night attendees.

After a long lay-off and a house move I've just started to discover the local jams here in the West.

I’m in a long running house band for a blues jam every Sunday , I always write down several songs to listen to. Sometimes I’m surprised at how close I imagined the bass part might go. 
And sometimes not.

As long as one person in the house band knew what was going on we’re usually fine. It’s a fascinating dynamic when most of the band has no clue as to what’s about to happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, msb said:

I’m in a long running house band for a blues jam every Sunday , I always write down several songs to listen to. Sometimes I’m surprised at how close I imagined the bass part might go. 
And sometimes not.

As long as one person in the house band knew what was going on we’re usually fine. It’s a fascinating dynamic when most of the band has no clue as to what’s about to happen.

I actually really enjoy that aspect of it! Thinking on my feet is far more fun to me than playing a song I've played 100 times before. As you also add though, if you keep notes of all the songs, it is a great way to add to your own repertoire and discover new artists.

• Like 2

On 22/08/2022 at 23:42, MrDaveTheBass said:

As long as you play in time, few people will care about the actual note you're playing. If you do hit a particularly bum note and somebody notices, remember to scowl at the guitarist. 😉

At a blues jam once, I misheard an A key call as E.  Having played like that through the whole number I apologised profusely afterwards.  The singer looked at me and said "That's OK, I just thought you'd decided to play the mixolydian."

• Haha 1