Jump to content

Wireless


Recommended Posts

There are quite a few threads on here with various opinions on the subject.

I’ll give my standard response of the Shure GLXD16 being the best of the many I have tried.

Not cheap, but bombproof and worth it in my opinion.

https://www.shure.com/en-GB/products/wireless-systems/glx-d_digital_wireless/glxd16-guitar-pedal-set

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had the Xvives ( first gen ) before my current wireless setup, and they were fine till they stopped charging up via USB.  They lasted a year or so so a waste of over 100 quid

 

Then i went upmarket and bought a Line 6 Relay. 50 quid more than the Xvives but so much better all round.  Quality, and no non - consumable batteries to contend with

 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/line-6-wireless-guitar-offer

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Commercial Member
Posted (edited)

@hiram.k.hackenbacker is correct. Buy the Shure and you’ll only buy once. I’ve had a fair few wireless systems over the years, none anywhere near as good or well built as the Shure. Expensive but for a good reason. 

Edited by walshy
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, fleabag said:

I've had the Xvives ( first gen ) before my current wireless setup, and they were fine till they stopped charging up via USB.  They lasted a year or so so a waste of over 100 q

 

This is exactly my experience with the Xvives. Stupid thing not to be abble to change the battery.

This is why I choose the Smoothound that words with classic AAA Battery.

https://www.smoothhound-innovations.com/classic-wireless-guitar-system

Edited by Aalin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got a couple of Line 6 G70 units. They are discontinued now. Some reported drop outs in use - I only had that when I didn't follow the start up scanning process to look for a clear frequency. When that is done they've been rock solid.

 

If I was looking for a replacement, I'd get the Shure GLXD16. I nearly bought that the first time round, it was only that Andertons did a really cheap clear out price (50% off) that made me go for the L6 ones. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Mine is the G75 and never had the teeniest problem from it at any gig

 

Now that I remember I did have an issue in the house.

 

I eventually discovered it was whenever the tumble dryer was on. It's an ancient dryer and it makes a racket and the bushings are shot.

I suspect it was putting out a lot of EM signal. I really need to replace it.

 

I never took the dryer to a gig for the Rush look so it was never an issue at a show! :D 

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've got the Harley Benton Airborn Pro, as does my guitarist. We both use then both for practice and gigging and I can't fault it at all for the money. 

I switched to one of these from from a Shure GLXd16 and a Smoothound because I got drop outs with them - I think it might have been the wireless router we use for the mixer, and in bigger pubs they failed when it filled with phones. Shame because I liked them both, although the aerials on the Smoothhound receiver get in the way a bit on a pedal board.

 

The Harley Benton is on the  5.8khz frequency and (touch wood) hasn't missed a beat. Flimsier than the GLXD16 but works for me.

Edited by redbandit599
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Bunion said:

Shure Glxd16 for me too with the added bonus of a built in tuner to free up space on your board. 

At the risk of sounding boring, another vote for the GLXD16. Great battery life from the rechargeable batteries, very good sound quality and I've not noticed any drop outs. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've a bunch of the line6 g50 setups across my pedal boards and they've always been ok for me, only once had an issue which was last weekend and I needed to change channel as it connected to the house radio mic frequencies...2 min fix

 

doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in trying the shure stuff if it's the bees knees

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been using a Line 6 relay G30 for years without any problems, done theaters, indoor and large outdoor gigs , clubs, pubs etc

takes 2 rechargable AA batteries . built to last and a fair price . easy to set up and use.

the shure system is also great and has more features  but more expensive to do basicaly the same thing , all down to budgets and personal preference i guess

but either of these units will do the job for years without any problems

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

Nope, sorry, can’t make out what you’re recommending here……

The Sansamp, it's really quite incredible... 😁

 

 

In fairness I've had the current Shures, a Smoothound, the Line 6 G30 and G55 and an Amoon set. My guitarist in one band uses the Boss one, another uses a Thomann set. They're all fine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jack said:

Shure! 1287634758_PXL_20220312_1433064522.thumb.jpg.1b407174b2b901488eb9a8515667272a.jpg

could you detect any sound quality improvement when you went to the shure?

how do you get on with the rechargeable packs or do you use AA rechargeables?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, andydye said:

could you detect any sound quality improvement when you went to the shure?

how do you get on with the rechargeable packs or do you use AA rechargeables?

In terms of sound, it’s excellent with no noticeable latency.

The battery packs in the transmitters are Shure’s own and they last very well on a single charge. They are replaceable as well, not that I’ve ever needed to. I did a four hour rehearsal last night starting with a freshly charged pack. I reckon that same pack will see me through tomorrows soundcheck and the whole gig as well before I need to change over to my back up pack. Another thing I really like about the Shure system is the clips on the transmitters are excellent. They are so strong and clip sturdily to a belt, back pocket, strap or whatever you want without the need for a pouch. A very well thought out and solid design.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/06/2022 at 10:03, Aalin said:

 

This is exactly my experience with the Xvives. Stupid thing not to be abble to change the battery.

This is why I choose the Smoothound that words with classic AAA Battery.

https://www.smoothhound-innovations.com/classic-wireless-guitar-system

Yes no problems with the Smoothhound over several years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use the Line6 G30's No problems at all bar when i dropped them. The plastic case on the transmitter isn't the toughest but a replacement was fairly cheap so no long term issue. The sound is better than using a long lead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

In terms of sound, it’s excellent with no noticeable latency.

The battery packs in the transmitters are Shure’s own and they last very well on a single charge. They are replaceable as well, not that I’ve ever needed to. I did a four hour rehearsal last night starting with a freshly charged pack. I reckon that same pack will see me through tomorrows soundcheck and the whole gig as well before I need to change over to my back up pack. Another thing I really like about the Shure system is the clips on the transmitters are excellent. They are so strong and clip sturdily to a belt, back pocket, strap or whatever you want without the need for a pouch. A very well thought out and solid design.

oo, thanks for the info there, it does sound like they're an upgrade from my g50 mebbe then. I'm just switching over to peterson tuners though so is it easy to deactivate the shure tuner bit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, andydye said:

oo, thanks for the info there, it does sound like they're an upgrade from my g50 mebbe then. I'm just switching over to peterson tuners though so is it easy to deactivate the shure tuner bit?

I’m not sure I follow you. I don’t know why you would want to deactivate the tuner function. I’ve had a Boss TU-3 on my pedal board for what seems like forever and have recently removed it as I’ve not used it since the Shure arrived.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...