Why become a member? ×

Wireless

On 25/07/2022 at 14:07, andydye said:

I'm having this exact issue with my g50, I've tried swapping out the transmitter, and the receiver, it makes no difference and still keeps cutting out. v annoying!

There are two power settings for the transmitter. If it's in power save mode, the signal won't be as strong. Press SELECT for two seconds to go into setup, then press it again to go to page 2, and use VALUE to toggle between Hi and Lo. Of course, if it's already on Hi, that wasn't the issue. Press SELECT two or three more times to get out of setup.

12 hours ago, tauzero said:

There are two power settings for the transmitter. If it's in power save mode, the signal won't be as strong. Press SELECT for two seconds to go into setup, then press it again to go to page 2, and use VALUE to toggle between Hi and Lo. Of course, if it's already on Hi, that wasn't the issue. Press SELECT two or three more times to get out of setup.

thanks dude, pretty sure it's been on hi all along but it's something I haven't checked in a while :) 

On 11/06/2022 at 12:56, Al Krow said:

I love the simplicity and compact form factor of the Boss WL-20 wireless. Seems to have a pretty decent range too. Here's me misbehaving at a gig last weekend courtesy of the WL-20s:

Same for me, I bought one in 2018 and it performed very well, finally gave up the ghost at end of 2019 - apparently they’re similar to the Xvive, once the battery has had enough that’s it. But cost wise it worked out about £2 per week and given how much easier it made gigging that was a bargain imo. So much so I’ve just bought another one. As I don’t rehearse & gig so much now I’m hoping for 2 maybe 3 years from it.

Edited by Lozz196

On 27/07/2022 at 21:32, tauzero said:

Might be worth getting a WIFi analyser app. It will tel you whether you are ion the same channel as anyone else close by. I use one to make sure there will

not be any conflicts with the digital mixer WiFi. Oddly I used it yesterday to check my home WiFi and found out that many networks locally were on the Dane channel. 

Windows has WiFi Analyser, iOS had Airport Utility and I think there is an Android one too. 

On 30/07/2022 at 20:12, Chienmortbb said:

Might be worth getting a WIFi analyser app. It will tel you whether you are ion the same channel as anyone else close by. I use one to make sure there will

not be any conflicts with the digital mixer WiFi. Oddly I used it yesterday to check my home WiFi and found out that many networks locally were on the Dane channel. 

Windows has WiFi Analyser, iOS had Airport Utility and I think there is an Android one too. 

There is indeed an Android Wifi analyser which I use, called Wifi Analyzer. There's another two as well and it look like I use the worst scoring one (it was the only one when I installed it years ago).

On 30/07/2022 at 20:12, Chienmortbb said:

now that's an excellent idea, thankyou!

in other news...my g55 performed flawlessly at the weekend in the midst of a crusty festival in the woods with wireless pa shizz goin on too

On 30/07/2022 at 13:24, Lozz196 said:

Same for me, I bought one in 2018 and it performed very well, finally gave up the ghost at end of 2019 - apparently they’re similar to the Xvive, once the battery has had enough that’s it. But cost wise it worked out about £2 per week and given how much easier it made gigging that was a bargain imo. So much so I’ve just bought another one. As I don’t rehearse & gig so much now I’m hoping for 2 maybe 3 years from it.

I've not opened mine up Lozz - but I can see a couple of screw ports. Is it not possible to replace the batteries on these?

40 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

How does the Boss WL20L perform with the Ray34 active bass ? 

My guess is that it will work as well with a Ray active bass as it does with any other active bass (which in my experience and a few others on this thread seems to be just fine), but not ever having used my WL-20s with a Ray I can't give you certainty on that.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I've not opened mine up Lozz - but I can see a couple of screw ports. Is it not possible to replace the batteries on these?

Well from what I’ve read it would seem not, but those that wrote might have been my technical & mechanical equivalent (as in totally useless) so it may be worth a try.

I have some really cheap chinese wireless transmitters, 5Ghz, they are wider than the 2.4GHz ones (but a lot smaller than the HB ones), I just got them for noodling at home but now I use them for gigging as they work perfectly and a really light, and i lost my smoothhound somewhere - they also don't need the separate floor space as they are just plugs. I liked the idea of the WL20 style plugs but they don't fit in ibanez SRs, which means they would need extension leads, which removes their convenience.

On 02/08/2022 at 09:58, Woodinblack said:

I have some really cheap chinese wireless transmitters, 5Ghz, they are wider than the 2.4GHz ones

Hi

Could you tell us a bit more about this wireless ?

I could be interested

Thank's for your answer

39 minutes ago, Aalin said:

Could you tell us a bit more about this wireless ?

Sure - here are my wirelesses*

The white ones at the top are the ones I am currently using live, they are 5G, and really clear - haven't had any problem wiht them. Bought them as I couldn't find the black ones, which obviously then turned up in a gig bag I hadn't used for a long time. You  can see they are much bigger than the black ones, but they weigh next to nothing (as do the black ones)

The black ones are the ones I had before, the 2.4g. Again, no problems, they have better battery life but I think more latency, I generally use those in the house. I used to use them at practice, when I didn't take my pedalboard so couldn't use the smoothhound, but now I just take the white ones.

And the silver black one is the smoothhound, which I was using until the lockdwon when I lost it, and couldn't find it again so eventually 3 weeks ago took the reciever off my board, and then at a gig on saturday found it wedged into the lining of a gig bag!

Although I don't recall haven't the black ones intefering with much, they don't have alternate channels, and with the IEMs, Singers saxaphone using 2.4GHz,, I feel happier having them on a different channel. The X18 -> iPad -> XTouch connection also used to use 2.4Ghz, but basically the IEM killed the X18 setup, so something had to change

IMG_3787.jpeg

* although I went to ebay to see if they had one there, and ended up buying another, as they had a stereo one and I had been after something like that for a long time

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

So what did change?

The X18->iPad->XTouch changed, because if my IEMs die mid gig, well, its a pain but I can live with it, if the X18 becomes uncontrollable mid gig, that is a bit more of an issue and I figured it would be more reliable at 5G, or at least, not so crowded.

I changed from the TP-Link TL-WR802N mini traver router, which is the 2.4ghz b/n box (1 at the time as when I got the IEMs I had yet to get the XTouch) to 2 of the TP-link TL-WR902AC  which is exactly the same size, but does 2.4GHz and 5, and switched the 2.4 off.. They have proved faultless and if the stage is looking a bit crowded, the USB port of both the X-Touch and the X18 have enough power to power them, although I don't usually do it that way. Since then I have had no interference between anything and anything else, although the sax sometimes glitches, but it does that anyway, so no idea what - that is a proper shure thing.

57 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The X18->iPad->XTouch changed, because if my IEMs die mid gig, well, its a pain but I can live with it, if the X18 becomes uncontrollable mid gig, that is a bit more of an issue and I figured it would be more reliable at 5G, or at least, not so crowded.

I changed from the TP-Link TL-WR802N mini traver router, which is the 2.4ghz b/n box (1 at the time as when I got the IEMs I had yet to get the XTouch) to 2 of the TP-link TL-WR902AC  which is exactly the same size, but does 2.4GHz and 5, and switched the 2.4 off.. They have proved faultless and if the stage is looking a bit crowded, the USB port of both the X-Touch and the X18 have enough power to power them, although I don't usually do it that way. Since then I have had no interference between anything and anything else, although the sax sometimes glitches, but it does that anyway, so no idea what - that is a proper shure thing.

Interesting, I have a Soundcraft UI16 and currently use a 2.4Ghz router with it. It was bought SH from a BC member and came with the TL-WR902AC. For some reason I could never get this to link to the mixer. However I have more experience with it now and might try it again. I have the same fears as you, two other 2.4GHz devices on stage as well as all those mobiles searching for WiFi love. I have not had a dropout live yet, but have experienced it when  home testing and have seen a friend have nightmares with an XR18 during performances.

28 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Interesting, I have a Soundcraft UI16 and currently use a 2.4Ghz router with it. It was bought SH from a BC member and came with the TL-WR902AC. For some reason I could never get this to link to the mixer. However I have more experience with it now and might try it again. I have the same fears as you, two other 2.4GHz devices on stage as well as all those mobiles searching for WiFi love. I have not had a dropout live yet, but have experienced it when  home testing and have seen a friend have nightmares with an XR18 during performances.

Well, the WR902 does both 2.4 and 5, so you are ok there. The iPad obviously if it is made in the last 5 years or so also does 5ghz so that should be doable.

For the longest time, like a year or so I used the X18 with its own internal wifi, listening to all the scare stories about how it would go, and mine never did, so I assumed some level of urban myth, then one day at an open air gig behind a pub, the X18 became totally uncontrollable, couldn't change the levels or anything, even when the iPad was sitting on  the box. From that day I always took an external router to a gig, and then never had a problem, until I got the XVive IEMs, and that again took it out. You could actually set it with the XVives on channel 1 and the X18 on a high channel number and it didn't intefere, but that was enough to knock my confidence (this was a practice - first time I used the XVives), so I got the 5G the next day and it has been rock solid since then.

Afterwards I got the XTouch and another WR902, so it is X18->router (master network)  XTouch->router (slave) iPad (slave) and all is good (the master actually just has a big label on it in case I ever need to know which it is, it doesn't matter as long as one is the master).

Still love it when you turn the XTouch on, press scan and it kicks all the sliders into the correct position!

My Boss WL-20 just arrived and will be put through its paces tomorrow night 

Trying it at home so far I like it and the style of it ( far better than a strap pouch models in my opinion, was using Line 6 G30 )

Will be gigged this weekend 👍

Edited by BassAdder27