Why become a member? ×

My New Tony Franklin Fretless P - Videos and Pics

wateroftyne

[quote name='silddx' post='459730' date='Apr 11 2009, 12:05 AM']Then I'm completely at a loss as to why you bought the TF and, god forbid, even selling your '71! :)

What exactly is it, do you think, you are looking for?[/quote]

Clarity and definition, something I think has been resolved by buying new cabs.

By then though, the GAS had built up to intolerable levels and there was nothing I could do about it....

:rolleyes:

[quote name='Beedster' post='459580' date='Apr 10 2009, 08:06 PM']Keep them both. As CK suggests, use rounds on the TF to get the best out of the JPUP and keep some flats on the '71. That way you'vetwo completely different sounding basses. Otherwise whatever you sell you'll, wish you hadn't.
Chris[/quote]

Totally +1 CK & Beedster are so right, both beautiful basses (and sound great in your hands) but the extra bite of the ebony board and jazz pickup just beg for some roundwounds(or half's ive used them on fretless they sound great) while the lovely woodyness of the 71's rosewood board gives you that uprighty (is that a proper word) tone, id keep both and have a couple of diffrent flavours, i must thank you WOT as you,ve now put the TF fretless on my GAS radar, iwanted a jazz but i think the PJ setup has a bit more oomph especially with flats.
Cheers mate your a lucky man to be in such a dilema :) all the best - lee

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='459733' date='Apr 11 2009, 12:10 AM']Clarity and definition, something I think has been resolved by buying new cabs.

By then though, the GAS had built up to intolerable levels and there was nothing I could do about it....

:rolleyes:[/quote]

That's it then! I know precisely what you mean :) That need to have the bugger in your own hands and give, once more, the loving stare :D

I think if you have to let one go, you know it will be the TF. Your lovely woody '71 makes it sound like a petulant child to my ears.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='459681' date='Apr 10 2009, 10:58 PM']Thanks for your input, folks!

Ha ha.. that's mint. I'm glad I didn't buy yours. I'd feel like crap now. :rolleyes:

RIGHT... one thing I have realised is that - and I knew this already, really - J pups just don't do it for me. My heart lies in solo'd P URB-ysville. I must tattoo this on my hand.

Which of these two does it better? Hmm... the board on the Franklin is smoother and denser, and more defined, but.... Pietro is my pal, and I think he sounds 'woodier'. But then, the Franklin might totally excel in a band environment... thankfully I have a few gigs next week so I have plenty of time to experiment...

I may yet pick up an Ebony or Ebonal neck and swap the '71s neck out instead...[/quote]

You even think of messing with the '71 and me and Big Al will be round your place faster than you can hide under the bed with a pair of knacking sticks to give you a right good knacking! Remember, we know where you live :)

Horses for courses etc but as you have currently managed to get both into the house, I wouldn't be rushing to kick one out!

i think i liked the TP in the p setting. But I actually think that may have been something like the strings or the way you were using your left hand being slightly different.

i think you would be daft selling the 71 if it means so much to you. why not get a ebony boarded neck made for it instead if thats what you like?

I must say that I really like the sound of both Michael! I play a defretted Yamaha BB414 myself and always use the neck (P) pickup for my sound- gives me that lovely woody pseudo-DB growl that you also prefer.

If I had to choose, I'd definitely keep the '71 mate- you know you'll be kicking yourself the next day if you sell it! You can always pick up another TF relatively easily if you sell that one...

A few years ago, I traded in my lovely black '77 Jazz Bass for a G&L ASAT at the old Manchester Bass Centre- I still haven't fully forgiven myself!

Stick- don't make the same mistake! :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='459287' date='Apr 10 2009, 01:55 PM']Not sure if you want to hear it Michael, but I actually prefer the sound of the Franklin. I didn't think I would but it just has more growl which is what I go for.[/quote]

What he said. Sorry dude...

Hmm... the TF is popular!

I think my heart is winning, though. There's not *that* much between them (J pup aside, which is a moot point) and although I could do with the few quid selling the '71 would give me, I'd just regret it down the line.

I'll know for sure after I've gigged them both.

Thanks again...

Dont do it Michael,

The 71 looks stunning next to the TF, I think the finish on the TF looks like a cheap copy, the surface is shinny but there is no depth to it and there is too much contrast in the colour. The 71 looks gorgeous, well aged and matured timber, and "played in" a dream and the pickguard is stunning. Im sure you would seriously regret selling it.

Why dont you sell the TF and put together a fretless hybrid to YOUR specifications not Tony Franklins.

Or sell me the 71 at mates rates and 1 yrs interest free credit. :)

[quote name='cd_david' post='460038' date='Apr 11 2009, 05:49 PM']Why dont you sell the TF and put together a fretless hybrid to YOUR specifications not Tony Franklins.[/quote]

That's exactly what I was going to to try to sell him..er I mean tell him...er I mean sel...oh never mind

Seriously, an improvement over the TF would be separate vols (or vol and pan) rather than the selector switch.

Got to be an ebony board though.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='460095' date='Apr 11 2009, 08:22 PM']Seriously, an improvement over the TF would be separate vols (or vol and pan) rather than the selector switch.[/quote]
Aw yeah. Tell it like it is Sister.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='460095' date='Apr 11 2009, 08:22 PM']That's exactly what I was going to to try to sell him..er I mean tell him...er I mean sel...oh never mind

Seriously, an improvement over the TF would be separate vols (or vol and pan) rather than the selector switch.

Got to be an ebony board though.[/quote]

Keep up at the back! I've established that the J pickup is kinda surplus to requirements...

[quote name='cd_david' post='460038' date='Apr 11 2009, 05:49 PM']Dont do it Michael,

The 71 looks stunning next to the TF, I think the finish on the TF looks like a cheap copy, the surface is shinny but there is no depth to it and there is too much contrast in the colour. The 71 looks gorgeous, well aged and matured timber, and "played in" a dream and the pickguard is stunning. Im sure you would seriously regret selling it.

Why dont you sell the TF and put together a fretless hybrid to YOUR specifications not Tony Franklins.

Or sell me the 71 at mates rates and 1 yrs interest free credit. :rolleyes:[/quote]

+1 :)

The '71 is the canine undercarriage.

Get the ebony/ebonol neck for it, then you can swap them to your hearts content.

The TF is too new, it looks very plasticy in the vids, the sound (to my ears) isnt better than the 71, it is slightly punchier maybe (v hard to tell).

Since you dont like J pups, dont have one on your bass, maybe a hybrid MM/P with a blend pot would be better for you (evil arent I :))

Bergs make everything sound better - really!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='460121' date='Apr 11 2009, 08:57 PM']Keep up at the back! I've established that the J pickup is kinda surplus to requirements...[/quote]

One of the reasons for suggesting the blend kind of options was you might find the J more useable if you didn't simply dial it in on the same settings as the P p/up as in the clip. Anyway it looks like you are now firmly 'anti -J' and at least that's established and just leaves the quandry on neck material and overal looks - I sense a definite decision coming on...possibly...maybe...

For what it's worth, in my opinion of course there's maybe some rose tinted specs stuff maybe entering into the discussion here. I know that a lot of you will disagree though :)

But then again I don't fall for the 'old Fender trap'. I think the TF really does sound better and give it a few years and it'll look the 'part' and everyone on basschat will say 'keep it' how could you possibly sell it etc.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='460341' date='Apr 12 2009, 08:27 AM']For what it's worth, in my opinion of course there's maybe some rose tinted specs stuff maybe entering into the discussion here. I know that a lot of you will disagree though :)

But then again I don't fall for the 'old Fender trap'. I think the TF really does sound better and give it a few years and it'll look the 'part' and everyone on basschat will say 'keep it' how could you possibly sell it etc.[/quote]

You've got a point Peter and I agree with your observations of the sound (ofcourse given the limitations of the recording / playback) however it's difficult to get past the 38 years of MoJo and the fact that the 2 bits of wood that fundamentally make up the 71 P Bass have "Lived" together for so long..... Romance, MoJo, Snake oil ? yeah all of those things but that's a little bit of what makes the magic...... I think in the final analysis Michael will want to pick up the 71 P more often than the TF and that really should make the decision easy for him !

Mark