Why become a member? ×

Incoming NBD - Bongo

AndyTravis

On 09/03/2022 at 13:32, Machines said:

The only Bongos I can easily find new in the UK for £3350. Bearing in mind these instruments have been in production for 15+ years, there are a fair few 2nd hand, so i can't imagine the new ones really sell at all.

I suppose it depends what you’re looking for - I bought a new one last year, via EBMM direct internet sales (The Vault) - it was less than £3k.

Theres always the argument that used is better value but I have to say I wouldn’t have been able to get quite a number of my basses if I hadn’t bought them new.

Bongos are great btw - this is my second (and I did buy the other - also 5 string but with a piezo, used). 

DA4EA354-8D55-420D-B8EC-6FBF135380CA.thumb.jpeg.2ac5af2dfc1ffd605c3c6720181c8ada.jpeg7C50E92B-6FA0-47C6-A273-086B5A6004BB.thumb.jpeg.5c79d31fbf7948556714bfa6848640bf.jpeg

Just picking up on the earlier conversation about the distance from the bridge of the bridge pick up on an HH Bongo compared to an HH Stingray, the bridge coils of a Ray bridge pick up are about 3” and the Bongo 2” from the nearest saddle. However the single H Bongo has its pick up more in the region of the pick up on a Stingray (it also has a 3 band EQ compared with the 4 band of the multi pick up Bongo). 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ander87 said:

It is this story that has motivated me to hunt for my missed #1 from some time ago, an Stingray Special 5 in Cruz Teal... Why was I stupid enough to let it go I do not know....!!

And yes @Musicman20, prices for new MM are circa £3k nowadays actually...!

Ander.

The only bass I still have reservations about letting go (regret seems too strong a word) is my old ‘Ray5. I bought it 2nd hand and eventually sold it back to the seller when he enquired about it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Hm! Interesting - shopping from the vault incurring customs and whatnot seems tedious though, how was your experience @drTStingray?

No problems whatsoever - couldn’t be easier - they give you a fixed price inclusive of shipping and customs - I ordered a Tim Commerford Stingray prior to this as well - they both arrived via UPS - the Bongo has a build date of about 10 days before I took delivery of it. I think the TC was already in stock and arrived within a week of purchase. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

No problems whatsoever - couldn’t be easier - they give you a fixed price inclusive of shipping and customs - I ordered a Tim Commerford Stingray prior to this as well - they both arrived via UPS - the Bongo has a build date of about 10 days before I took delivery of it. I think the TC was already in stock and arrived within a week of purchase. 

Interesting! I just spoke with strings and things the distributors since the screws for a saddle has worn off and I can't raise the string action - they just sent me two packs for all the saddles in both my basses without hesitation and overnight - good to know that companies take both sales and after sales seriously still!

Ander.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Yeah no one seems to want to tell me. I'll just have to buy one

The bingo preamp was in the Big Al too. In passive mode the Big A was a fine sounding bass. When in active mode the bass became a modern, fine tuneable machine. The EQ really does add that modern zing. The Bongo is a different voice to the Ray for sure and the neo magnets in the Bongo pick up add to this. 

Edited by krispn

19 minutes ago, krispn said:

The bingo preamp was in the Big Al too. In passive mode the Big A was a fine sounding bass. When in active mode the bass became a modern, fine tuneable machine. The EQ really does add that modern zing. The Bongo is a different voice to the Ray for sure and the neo magnets in the Bongo pick up add to this. 

Cheers @krispn

• Like 1

20 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

I asked on another thread but ray vs bongos, how different are they tonally? I'm guessing the bongo is more hi fi and versatile with eq?

The Bongo is a fair bit richer in the mids than the Stingray. It's still got something of that characteristic Music Man scoop in the tone, but it's far less pronounced than the classic Stingray sound that is so familiar. I really can't say enough good things about these basses, and the sound is the best thing about them. Effortlessly powerful and modern in a good way is how I would sum it up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

The Bongo is a fair bit richer in the mids than the Stingray. It's still got something of that characteristic Music Man scoop in the tone, but it's far less pronounced than the classic Stingray sound that is so familiar. I really can't say enough good things about these basses, and the sound is the best thing about them. Effortlessly powerful and modern in a good way is how I would sum it up.

Awesome thanks @Misdee

• Like 1

6 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

Awesome thanks @Misdee

I must add the caveat that I am primarily talking about the HH and HS models. The single H sounds a lot closer to a Stingray, albeit with a Bongo twist. The single H also has a three band preamp, rather than the four band of the two pickup models, if I remember correctly.

17 hours ago, krispn said:

The Big Al was a great bass. It was a real shame that it didn't catch on more.

3 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

The Big Al was a great bass. It was a real shame that it didn't catch on more.

it nailed the p bass tone and had a very useable palate of sounds. I’d have one in a heartbeat over most other basses. 

I got serious Big Al gas after watching this a few years back.

It's obviously an incredible versatile instrument, but, aside from the unusal aesthetic perhaps, like the MM Reflex, maybe the sheer number of tonal options was a little intimidating.

I'd be forever adjusting every parameter in search of the perfect tone rather than actually playing the thing

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

Always thought the big Al looked ace. 

Weirdly, it’s probably a bit more conventional than the bongo in appearance.

like the caprice and cutlass p/j & p - maybe it was a solution for a problem which didn’t exist.

What do I know?

Anyhow. Just in from work. Going to cobble together a video (no talking, just some out of practice playing).

Will go through the pickups and eq etc. should be ok for the curious.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cato said:

I got serious Big Al gas after eatching thos a few years back.

It's obviously an incredible versatile instrument, but, aside from the unusal aesthetic perhaps, like the MM Reflex, maybe the sheer number of tonal options was a little intimidating.

I'd be forever adjusting every parameter in search of the perfect tone rather than actually playing the thing

If the Big Al has the Bongo EQ, I could totally go for a Big Al.

right. Now beer.

need to remember that Neck pickup is right there.

But this is a great bass with plenty of sounds.

I’ll do Some better vids when I’m not brain dead and 24,000 steps into a day 😂

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 5