Why become a member? ×

Incoming NBD - Bongo

AndyTravis

13 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

That white Bongo is one of my favourite basses on Basschat. It does remind me of something else though...

Necros_Daleks-1.jpg

Thanks - it does draw admiring comments when I take it to a gig (which is very very rare!!) And absolutely - I remember standard daleks, red ones and the black Dalek but don’t recall those - they’re excellent!! 

I somewhat got away with it Saturday night - the neck plus headstock is quite long and I bashed it a couple of times - thankfully no headstock chip!! (Talk about a long bass, I can barely reach the D string to tune it when on a strap 🥴 no problem playing it though!) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

@drTStingray love that sabre

Thanks @AndyTravis I’ve had a few unsolicited offers to buy it - I’ve never been able to get it confirmed but i think it may be unique and if not, super rare. It has a mahogany body and a very early version of the roasted maple neck. Some day, if one crops up, I might get a 30th Anniversary Ray - they also have a mahogany body - but few and far between with the original case etc on the used market these days. 

What is a bit odd about the purchase of that bass is I tried to get a Diego blue one but S and T had one of every colour in the U.K. EXCEPT that one!! A few months later EBMM announced the Neptune blue PDN offering - so I immediately ordered the Sabre - couldn’t be happier about it in every way 😀

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

Just now, drTStingray said:

Thanks @AndyTravis I’ve had a few unsolicited offers to buy it - I’ve never been able to get it confirmed but i think it may be unique and if not, super rare. It has a mahogany body and a very early version of the roasted maple neck. Some day, if one crops up, I might get a 30th Anniversary Ray - they also have a mahogany body - but few and far between with the original case etc on the used market these days. 

It quite likely is the only one. I've done a lot of digging and I only came across this one. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

It quite likely is the only one. I've done a lot of digging and I only came across this one. 

Scott Ball said he didn’t recall them making many!! Station Music had a Sterling in this spec a few years back - I think that was probably unique as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drTStingray said:

Scott Ball said he didn’t recall them making many!! Station Music had a Sterling in this spec a few years back - I think that was probably unique as well. 

Pro Music Tools had both a PDN Neptune Blue Stingray 4HH and a Stingray 4HS, but no Bongo! 

On 19/03/2022 at 21:26, AndyTravis said:

Just played mine for 30 mins - lovely thing - still want to do some tweaks.

must admit - that neck humbucker and 24 frets…right in the way 🙄

I have to work around it

They take a little bit of getting used to with the 24 feet neck - I sometimes used to find myself getting a little lost above say 14th/15th fret - partially because of being unaccustomed to the extra length of neck above 12th fret. 

In terms of slapping, I play several songs which have it - I’ve now mastered doing this on a two pick up Musicman bass and of course the Bongos are both fives, which add another complexity.

The single H Stingray is, of course, a monster bass for slapping and so much room available to do it - I think it’s really a matter of practice getting used to doing it on an HH. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

They take a little bit of getting used to with the 24 feet neck - I sometimes used to find myself getting a little lost above say 14th/15th fret - partially because of being unaccustomed to the extra length of neck above 12th fret. 

In terms of slapping, I play several songs which have it - I’ve now mastered doing this on a two pick up Musicman bass and of course the Bongos are both fives, which add another complexity.

The single H Stingray is, of course, a monster bass for slapping and so much room available to do it - I think it’s really a matter of practice getting used to doing it on an HH. 

I’ve been working on it - can manage it much more since that video.

I don’t even slap that much in the band 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve been working on it - can manage it much more since that video.

I don’t even slap that much in the band 😂

For me it’s so embarrassing if I’m playing a song with bits of slap in, and because I’m using a bass I’m less accustomed to, my accuracy goes to pieces - I think it’s just practice but using any sort of 5 string has sometimes made me have that feeling of panic!! 

• Like 1

For anyone with an orange Bongo, the pg on mine is an OE one, back in the days when they offered a lot of variants - the swirls are orange and black - called tiramisu, I think they’re still available from Chandler (Pickguard Planet) in the US - they are EBMM’s supplier - must get a new black one for my Sabre - current one is heavily scuffed from use!!! 

PS you can get cheap Stingray pgs on the internet but judging by the standard of a white pearl one that came on a used 1993 Blueburst Stingray I bought (the pg delaminated within a few months) it’s worth paying the extra for a decent one IMHO. 

D07AD2D5-16E0-4BC8-B648-095E0A169744.thumb.jpeg.741b28bb752c36b690d7a817bfd86f14.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Yeah agree - maybe we’ll see an LE one sometime - unfortunately at an eye watering price I guess 😂

No doubt! Looking at prices now, it’s staggering that I paid about £1250 for my 4HS Stealth brand new! 

• Like 1

On 22/03/2022 at 12:28, ern500evo said:

No doubt! Looking at prices now, it’s staggering that I paid about £1250 for my 4HS Stealth brand new! 

They’ve not been that price new since the 2000s - that’s 20 yrs ago 😀!! Seems amazing, I know. I bought a new SR5 in 2003 for £1295 - at the same time I was considering an immaculate Inca silver 77 pre Ernie Ball Stingray at the Bass Centre - previously owned by a famous musician - it was £1700 - there are only around 130 Inca silver pre EB instruments recorded in the CLF days. 

However a good portion of the price hike on new instruments has been since the world has gone a bit mad, over the last couple of years. 

Edited by drTStingray

1 minute ago, drTStingray said:

They’ve not been that price new since the 2000s - that’s 20 yrs ago 😀!! Seems amazing, I know. I bought a new SR5 in 2003 for £1295 - at the same time I was considering an immaculate Inca silver 77 pre Ernie Ball at the Bass Centre - previously owned by a famous musician - it was £1700.

However a good portion of the price hike on new instruments has been since the world has gone a bit mad, over the last couple of years. 

I bought it in 2014! 

20 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

The normal new price of say, a Musicman Classic Sabre at this time was circa £2k so I would expect a Bongo to be similar, unless very very NOS on clearance reduction. 

The 4 string Bongo in the stealth finish was averaging at around £1850 at most retailers. I trawled the internet for days. Even to the point of speaking with Beaver Felton in the US about the possibility of giving him a holding deposit so that a friend could collect it for me while on holiday the following month. Then I came across an ad for a shop in the Netherlands who had some Bongos on their website, but not a Stealth. I emailed and asked by any chance did they have a Stealth 4 string in stock, and got a swift reply saying they only had one and it was a 4HS. I asked the price, including shipping, taxes etc and it was £1250 for the bass plus shipping. He got me a fixed quote and it came in at around £1285 all in. I ordered it on the Tuesday and and it was on my doorstep by Thursday morning 

Edited by ern500evo
  • Like 3