Why become a member? ×

Best Car for Carrying Gear?

Chienmortbb

I'm sure it was a previous thread on here where I learned about the RIDC car database which has boot length and width for lots of current and past models. 

Since every useful fact must be balanced by an amusing anecdote, a drummer friend used to get her entire kit into a Sunbeam Alpine.

Edited by nekomatic

17 minutes ago, Osiris said:

There's a big deep boot lip to catch your cab on when loading it in and out, the rear seats don't fold flat, just the top half pushed down on top of the bit you sit on. I could get my old 2x12 cab in there but anything else was balanced haphazardly on the 70's style fold-down seats that are more bent over at 45 degrees than flat. When I called Skoda to have a whinge about it they offered to sell me an artificial floor to make life easier, can't remember exactly how much they wanted but it was hundreds of pounds. I don't think so. 

I don't know about the skoda, but it is the same family as the seat, so I guess things might be similar. I have a seat leon ST (estate) which has a flat loadin and seats that go down. But the actual floor of the leon is actually lower, and it just has some floor thing which makes it level. if you want, you can take that out and put it at a lower level, whcih presumably gives you more space top to bottom but gets rid of your flat loading, so I have never done it. But it can be done. Is it not a similar thing but with yours put down at a lower level?

- edit -

I looked at a review, it is the same thing but it is an option, I guess mine was just one that had it fitted.

If I didn't have it, I would just get a 6mm MDF from B&Q, cut it the right size and paint it black or put some carpety stuff on it, it would be exactly the same thing.

15 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Especially when you factor in the software that could only have been programmed by a lobotomised porpoise, it controls everything in the car but its only response to anything and everything you do is to constantly beep and squawk at you while throwing up tiny illegible warning messages on the dashboard. And the wonderful nanny steering control which constantly tries to throw you into a ditch or into any oncoming traffic.

That's why I'll only buy a car that doesn't have a computer onboard... of course that does rather restrict me to the classic car market.

59 minutes ago, Jakester said:

Apparently 1 horse = about 15hp. No idea why - perhaps whoever came up with hp as a unit of measurement had only seen Shetland ponies! 

No, the guy who came up with the HP as a unit of measurement was in the business of selling things to replace horses. You would hardly want to say 'well, heres my new machine, its very expensive and unreliable and only as powerful as a 5 day old foal'.

22 minutes ago, Osiris said:

And the wonderful nanny steering control which constantly tries to throw you into a ditch or into any oncoming traffic. 🤬 

Oh god, that thing... Mrs Rich's Beemer has that, first time it happened we thought the bloody car had gone wrong or was tramlining or something. After the second time it attempted to throw us into a hedge, we tracked it down in the ridiculously complicated on-board menus and disabled it permanently. Potentially dangerous 'safety feature' IMO.

• Sad 1

I had a Citroen Berlingo for a while.  One of those big square jobs that looked like an ice cream van.  In fact Mrs S and I used to call it the ICV in the days when SUVs were becoming all the rage :D  You could fit a ton of gear in it - I once took me, guitarist and drummer to a gig with all our kit in plus some of the pa.  Trouble was the rest of the time you were left driving a Citroen Berlingo.  Luckily it self-destructed at around 60,000 miles.

• Like 1

We've got a VW Caddy Maxi - similar to other MPVs, big oblong load space with the back seats folded up, and nice level access at the rear so one doesn't have to lift anything over a lip / any bodywork. Even with most of the space permanently occupied by a metal crate large enough to hold two Standard Poodles, I can still fit my gear in easily enough, although we do have to remove the aforementioned crate if we ever need to carry anything larger / messier / more unwieldy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't know about the skoda, but it is the same family as the seat, so I guess things might be similar. I have a seat leon ST (estate) which has a flat loadin and seats that go down. But the actual floor of the leon is actually lower, and it just has some floor thing which makes it level. if you want, you can take that out and put it at a lower level, whcih presumably gives you more space top to bottom but gets rid of your flat loading, so I have never done it. But it can be done. Is it not a similar thing but with yours put down at a lower level?

- edit -

I looked at a review, it is the same thing but it is an option, I guess mine was just one that had it fitted.

If I didn't have it, I would just get a 6mm MDF from B&Q, cut it the right size and paint it black or put some carpety stuff on it, it would be exactly the same thing.

The adjustable boot floor is an optional extra on the Skoda as you say but even with the official part or a home made alternative I still can't see it giving the whole boot area a flat load in because the back seats won't lay flat. It's either a cynical ploy to get you to buy an optional extra that you really shouldn't need to buy or just a half arsëd design. Either way, no matter how much space there is in there you really can't use much of it. Once the contract is up I definitely won't be having another one.

4 hours ago, Boodang said:

That's why I'll only buy a car that doesn't have a computer onboard... of course that does rather restrict me to the classic car market.

A wise attitude 👍

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Oh god, that thing... Mrs Rich's Beemer has that, first time it happened we thought the bloody car had gone wrong or was tramlining or something. After the second time it attempted to throw us into a hedge, we tracked it down in the ridiculously complicated on-board menus and disabled it permanently. Potentially dangerous 'safety feature' IMO.

I tried to do the same in this thing, I eventually found the option under the highly unintuitive software and disabled it and it was much better. Trouble is that the next time we used the car it had switched itself back on, it must  be a default setting, and because of the awful software I haven't been able to find the option again. Fortunately I only drive around once a week so I just accept that it's going to try to kill me and I so I serenade it with a constant sting of obscenities. But I do wonder who thought it was a good idea to release something so dangerous into the wild. 

5 minutes ago, Osiris said:

The adjustable boot floor is an optional extra on the Skoda as you say but even with the official part or a home made alternative I still can't see it giving the whole boot area a flat load in because the back seats won't lay flat. It's either a cynical ploy to get you to buy an optional extra that you really shouldn't need to buy or just a half arsëd design. Either way, no matter how much space there is in there you really can't use much of it. Once the contract is up I definitely won't be having another one.

The seats in my Oct hatch don't lie flat either, but I can quite easily live with that because a.) I very rarely fold them down anyway, only for the occasional tip-run, and b.) the rest of the car is so damned lovely it more than makes up for it. Luckily it's a 2018/19 reg so it's not hampered by all the annoying tech yours seems to have. 

• Like 1

One that's big enough for your own gear but not so big that you're obliged to shlep round the countryside dropping off every bugger else's gear and their semiconscious owners at some ungodly hour.  Take it from someone who's been driving a Renault Trafic for the last  6 years.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The seats on the Leon are almost flat, certainly flat enough to slide the speakers on.

I think I am odd in this case as I don't mind the lane assist if that's what you mean, you turn it off when you are in lane mode by rolling the wheel down to get the list and pressing it to turn off

What you want is a Jaguar XFR. I can fit in a 4x10, 3 basses and a load of other gear, it has a brilliant Bowers & Wilkins sound system and do near enough 200mph. What more could you need?

If you need more space  there's the XFR-S estate which has even more power, is louder and is completely unhinged

20220227_145038.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Leonard Smalls said:

Aye! £35k for a 7 year old one, £600 road tax and 24.4mpg... and just a touch slower to 60 than my Tesla

😁

Slower to 60 due to the auto box and no launch control but a lot faster when it gets going. It sounds better as well.

They're holding their value due to rarity, I think it's 150 they built in total. 

24mpg isn't just optimistic, it's a lie. Mine does 18 on average. I also pay considerably less tax due to mine originally being registered as a prototype.

33 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

That's not so good Paul.

My 14 plate Berlingo has 190,000 miles under it's belt 🙂

Mine must have been a Friday afternoon one.  Started going wrong expensively at around 40,000 miles when one of the front suspension coils snapped overnight, shearing the tyre.  Lucky that didn't happen on a motorway.

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Mine must have been a Friday afternoon one.  Started going wrong expensively at around 40,000 miles when one of the front suspension coils snapped overnight, shearing the tyre.  Lucky that didn't happen on a motorway.

Snapped coil springs are really common on those. My old one got through several but never did a tyre luckily.

20 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

What you want is a Jaguar XFR. I can fit in a 4x10, 3 basses and a load of other gear, it has a brilliant Bowers & Wilkins sound system and do near enough 200mph. What more could you need?

If you need more space  there's the XFR-S estate which has even more power, is louder and is completely unhinged

20220227_145038.jpg

Indeed, but youll look like a bounder who'll swipe the nights takings and deflower the landlords teenage daughter. 

Us Volvo drivers are seen by venues as a safe pair of hands,  and excellent musicians to boot 🤔

8 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Indeed, but youll look like a bounder who'll swipe the nights takings and deflower the landlords teenage daughter. 

Us Volvo drivers are seen by venues as a safe pair of hands,  and excellent musicians to boot 🤔

You forgot about the silver wear, paintings and expensive alcohol. I can't afford to leave those behind, not at 18mpg. 

• Haha 2