Why become a member? ×

Why would you do this? (Barefaced content)

Merton

32 minutes ago, Merton said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BASS-CABINET-2X10-600W-Fitted-With-2x-Celestion-BN10-300X-Not-Barefaced-/115270966860?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I can’t see why you’d change the proprietary drivers in this cab for the lesser-specced, and no doubt wrong for the cab, Celestions?

Because you are a blithering idiot? What do I win?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, chyc said:

My guess is the original speakers are blown. The BN10-300X are no slouch, so if it works with the cab, it's a tempting price currently at 99p

Likely answer; I’d have spoken to Barefaced to put in the Eminence drivers around which the cab is designed though… just seems an odd thing to do to me :)

20 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Perhaps more importantly, why on earth would you do this?

"The speakers are 8Ohm. Currently wired in series so it's a 16 Ohm cab.  (Can be re-wired to parallel very easily to give net 4 Ohm  if you wanted)"

That was my thought. Maybe the seller wanted to use in conjunction with another cab and that'd take the load below 4ohm? 

7 minutes ago, kwmlondon said:

That was my thought. Maybe the seller wanted to use in conjunction with another cab and that'd take the load below 4ohm? 

If you run a 16 Ohm 2x10 with an 8 Ohm 4 x 10, the total load will be 5.33 (repeating of course) Ohm, but most importantly I believe the load on all 6 cones will be spread evenly. May be desirable if you have identical speakers in the two cabinets.

I may be in the minority, but I have an amp that cannot go down to 4 Ohms. That's another possibility.

• Like 1

As a cab of unknown performance it might be worth a punt if someone is interested in tidying it up and rewiring it to 4ohms.

Realistically what would a good condition Two 10 be selling for, around £550? A shabby example with tolex peeling all over the show and a knackered handle probably £100 less, then factor in whatever the cost would be to restore it to original spec means there probably isn't got a lot of wiggle room and you might as well just wait for a nicer one to appear.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2022 at 06:31, Happy Jack said:

Perhaps more importantly, why on earth would you do this?

"The speakers are 8Ohm. Currently wired in series so it's a 16 Ohm cab.  (Can be re-wired to parallel very easily to give net 4 Ohm  if you wanted)"

Probably to give yourself less chance of blowing another set of drivers with your 1000w amp.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the speaker in an underpowered Ashdown cab, for a bigger and more powerful one (from 200 to 400 watts).

Amazingly it sounded pretty good but I wouldn't buy a cab, that had the speakers swapped, without hearing it first.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke to the guy. Hes got multiple barefaced cabs. Said a speaker stopped working in this and alex wanted too much for a speaker apparently. He had another cab with a dodgy speaker in it so he donored the good speaker into that. Didnt question him on the wiring job.