Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='ARGH' post='451745' date='Apr 1 2009, 05:26 PM']Hell an article on self employed Tax form fillout,accountants and such would be a good idea![/quote]

Jeez. Hey "Mr Fun"... that sounds a riot! :)

OK, OK... just make it short. Or just stick it in the beginner section.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='451750' date='Apr 1 2009, 05:29 PM']The Super Yob. Classic instrument.[/quote]

Apparently the re-issue is a superior instrument to Dave Hill's original. However the J1s I've tried over the past few years haven't been a patch on the one was lucky enough to have a go on in the late 70s.

Having said that I keep toying with the idea of having them build me one of their Rickenfakers...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='451840' date='Apr 1 2009, 06:33 PM']Apparently the re-issue is a superior instrument to Dave Hill's original. However the J1s I've tried over the past few years haven't been a patch on the one was lucky enough to have a go on in the late 70s.

Having said that I keep toying with the idea of having them build me one of their Rickenfakers...[/quote]

Didn't Framus do a Super Yob once?

I've never played a John Birch so can't really comment on how well they are made or their playability. I do know that they are highly collectable and command reasonable prices.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='451844' date='Apr 1 2009, 06:36 PM']Didn't Framus do a Super Yob once?

I've never played a John Birch so can't really comment on how well they are made or their playability. I do know that they are highly collectable and command reasonable prices.[/quote]

There we go...

[quote name='birdy' post='456239' date='Apr 7 2009, 11:11 AM']So is the latest copy of the mag out yet and has anyone had it delivered? I am sure its been at least two months since the last one?

Steve[/quote]

Not seen it. I went into WH Smiths yesterdays especially.

No cigar.

[quote name='ARGH' post='451745' date='Apr 1 2009, 05:26 PM']Hense my point about an interview about a proper WMC,wedding,Camp working stiff....

Hell an article on self employed Tax form fillout,accountants and such would be a good idea!

Insurance......is it what its cracked up to be?...same with the MU..Im not looking for the mag to be bloody 'Which',but its a BIG thing,both commitmentwise and financially speaking..I reckon theres a TON of horror/love stories.

Gigging in other countries,ship gigs.....you rarely hear from those guys![/quote]

I like your angle man, it's stuff I think matters and as someone who plays a bit and writes a bit has often crossed my mind as good feature ideas.... I can't promise anything but I'll certainly think about ways some of these could be turned into interesting and helpful features.

Re the posts on luthiers I think there are plans afoot for some kind of regular spotlight on UK luthiers, considering the UK is known throughout the world as the home of the inventor in the garden shed (you know what I mean, I hope), we have an embarrasment of riches when it comes to homegrown bass building talent. So yes, I think this is going to happen... soonish.

Anyway, thanks for all the interest/concern about the mag, it's not gone unnoticed and as I've said before we all want it to improve, the next issue will be along in a week or so as the bi monthly cycle comes to an end, I'm as keen to see it as the rest of you!

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='457815' date='Apr 8 2009, 09:06 PM']I like your angle man, it's stuff I think matters and as someone who plays a bit and writes a bit has often crossed my mind as good feature ideas.... I can't promise anything but I'll certainly think about ways some of these could be turned into interesting and helpful features.

Re the posts on luthiers I think there are plans afoot for some kind of regular spotlight on UK luthiers, considering the UK is known throughout the world as the home of the inventor in the garden shed (you know what I mean, I hope), we have an embarrasment of riches when it comes to homegrown bass building talent. So yes, I think this is going to happen... soonish.

Anyway, thanks for all the interest/concern about the mag, it's not gone unnoticed and as I've said before we all want it to improve, the next issue will be along in a week or so as the bi monthly cycle comes to an end, I'm as keen to see it as the rest of you!

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

As long as it's properly balanced with the aspirational/inspirational stuff, it definitely has a place, and I would enjoy reading it too.

I bought a couple (BGM) a year or so ago, and my impressions were:

Amateurish, parochial, small-minded and patronising, with sections seemingly cut & pasted from manufacturers promotional material.
I haven't bought one since - but I'll probably give it another go some time...

I still buy Bass Player (probably about every other month) *in spite* of it being American, advert-loaded and with the occasional article on 'tone-improving power cords' that makes me want to fly over and strangle the sub-editor responsible with one!

[quote name='Stewart' post='460444' date='Apr 12 2009, 11:07 AM']I bought a couple (BGM) a year or so ago, and my impressions were:

Amateurish, parochial, small-minded and patronising, with sections seemingly cut & pasted from manufacturers promotional material.
I haven't bought one since - but I'll probably give it another go some time...

I still buy Bass Player (probably about every other month) *in spite* of it being American, advert-loaded and with the occasional article on 'tone-improving power cords' that makes me want to fly over and strangle the sub-editor responsible with one![/quote]

Where do you get BP then? I thought it had gone bust?

Latest BGM is good with a change of EIC...

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='465977' date='Apr 18 2009, 10:59 AM']New issue of BGM arrived this morning. Must read the Blockheads article before seeing them tonight![/quote]

Page 33 - picture of Normferatu - it looks likes he's had a cover girl makeover!

[quote name='silddx' post='472343' date='Apr 25 2009, 07:19 PM']What's the verdict on the latest issue (Flea cover) then?

I have to say, it's a massive improvement to my mind.[/quote]

Be nice to see one.
My usual supplier hasn't had them yet.

Not too bad. Can't say I noticed any changes, but that could be me.

The Flea article was an advert for the Fleabass. "It doesn't need to be really expensive" Flea. Price £499.00 for the 34inch, £449.00 for the 30inch. So £500.00 for a made in China bass :) . No review though.

[quote name='silddx' post='472343' date='Apr 25 2009, 07:19 PM']What's the verdict on the latest issue (Flea cover) then?

I have to say, it's a massive improvement to my mind.[/quote]

+1 A whole lot of information. Couldnt put my finger on it, but it just seemed alot better.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='473015' date='Apr 26 2009, 11:22 PM']Not too bad. Can't say I noticed any changes, but that could be me.

The Flea article was an advert for the Fleabass. "It doesn't need to be really expensive" Flea. Price £499.00 for the 34inch, £449.00 for the 30inch. So £500.00 for a made in China bass :) . No review though.[/quote]

Yeah i noticed that too about the Flea bass, no review. Although i dont think theyd make it a fair review in the same issue as the article.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='473015' date='Apr 26 2009, 11:22 PM']The Flea article was an advert for the Fleabass. "It doesn't need to be really expensive" Flea. Price £499.00 for the 34inch, £449.00 for the 30inch. So £500.00 for a made in China bass :rolleyes: . No review though.[/quote]

Long Fleabass discussion thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=41870&view=findpost&p=415441"]here[/url]

Meawhile... That has to be a 'shop job on Norm on page 33.. Where have his trademark eye bags gone?
Seeing him on Friday. I may get an autograph "for my lad" :)

Bought the new copy yesterday with high expectations. Thought it was still lousy. Maybe a bit better, or maybe I'm just being hopeful?

That wasn't actually an interview with Flea, it was just an advert, so you can tear that out.

Is it that difficult to but a load of guitar magazines, read them, coipy the good bits and apply it to bass? Yes, a review can be entertaining and informative. Currently, they are neither. There are a number of posters on here that are both entertaining a informative. Sling them a few quid.