Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='ARGH' post='450701' date='Mar 31 2009, 05:35 PM']Back of the net!!!

Anyone can be bland,problem is..do you have Journo's writing,or musicians playing at Journo's??

Bassplayers staff are pretty much Journos (college major,uni ..whatever..qualified in Journalism) that play bass or have played bass to an,at least semipro level....Bar the Workshops,and those persons tend to be professional tutors (Rich Appleman,Steve Bailey,Goldsby,Berlin etc).[/quote]

Agreed... and that is preferable to have somebody who is equally versed in playing and journalism - but I don't necessarily agree that it is essential. The thing is, some of the things that have been picked up in this thread should have never made it to print as they did. The text should be vetted and improved on where necessary. I would rather have somebody review a bass who is a capable player rather than somebody who is an exceptional wordsmith. It's the job of the wordsmith employed by the company to make sure the text that they are being supplied with is making the grade...

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='450707' date='Mar 31 2009, 05:42 PM']Agreed... and that is preferable to have somebody who is equally versed in playing and journalism - but I don't necessarily agree that it is essential. The thing is, some of the things that have been picked up in this thread should have never made it to print as they did. The text should be vetted and improved on where necessary. I would rather have somebody review a bass who is a capable player rather than somebody who is an exceptional wordsmith. It's the job of the wordsmith employed by the company to make sure the text that they are being supplied with is making the grade...[/quote]
I'd pay more to read that....

Every few years 'something' British appears,and its nice..but laughable after 2-3 issues...I tried BGM..I really did,but bar the Richard Johnson years at Bassplayer,its never come close..the interviews are flyweight compared to the Yanks.

[quote name='ARGH' post='450710' date='Mar 31 2009, 05:45 PM']I'd pay more to read that....

Every few years 'something' British appears,and its nice..but laughable after 2-3 issues...I tried BGM..I really did,but bar the Richard Johnson years at Bassplayer,its never come close..the interviews are flyweight compared to the Yanks.[/quote]

But then again, the choice of big hitter bass players in the UK to interview is somewhat less than in the States... There are lots of players passing through and residing in the Bay area (where the head office of BP resides - there is a sister operation in NY), LA is only an hours flight away - and that's where the big names actually live.

To put it in context, when I went to BP magazine, I signed my name under Rocco Prestia in the visitor's book. What does that tell you? Players are actually travelling to the magazine to be interviewed. How many of the people interviewed in BGM are travelling to be interviewed? There you go - we aren't really comparing like with like at the moment. One magazine is running on a shoestring budget, the other isn't.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='450714' date='Mar 31 2009, 05:52 PM']But then again, the choice of big hitter bass players in the UK to interview is somewhat less than in the States... There are lots of players passing through and residing in the Bay area (where the head office of BP resides - there is a sister operation in NY), LA is only an hours flight away - and that's where the big names actually live.1

To put it in context, when I went to BP magazine, I signed my name under Rocco Prestia in the visitor's book. What does that tell you? Players are actually travelling to the magazine to be interviewed. How many of the people interviewed in BGM are travelling to be interviewed? There you go - we aren't really comparing like with like at the moment. One magazine is running on a shoestring budget, the other isn't.2[/quote]
1,When they have contributors in Nashville,Memphis,Florida..your right...no competition.

2,London gigs,grabbing a name someone cant be that hard? Maybe the 'subject' isn't that good a musician,to explain what he's doing (it happens)..And I know the Yanks have the entire Miller/Freeman corp behind them.....But dont fanzines in musical genres bubble up and get noticed with their no sugar attitudes...thats how they get respected...

Maybe it would be dull as sh*te to interview ANOTHER Fender/Ricky wielding 20 something with an Ampeg or a Harke stack,that finished his/her LP a month ago,and cant read...does it not tell you how BAD British music really is???

I'll likely continue to buy BGM regardless of it's content. If only to flick through and dismiss it in 10 mins (like the latest issue).

Previous issues have been reasonable, some even decent, but most for me have missed and alienated the majority of bassists. There are too many reviews of custom basses, generally 2-3 per issue (at a guess). There should be 2-3 a year for me.

The aforementioned majority don't and won't buy custom basses, they want to know about popular brands and instruments, not something that costs 10x as much and looks like a coffee table (this is quoting other people !)

I think it might be interesting to review OLD gear, not brand new top of the range stuff all the time, especially since the 2nd hand market is so hot at the moment (compared to new).

[quote name='ARGH' post='450720' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:00 PM']1,When they have contributors in Nashville,Memphis,Florida..your right...no competition.

2,London gigs,grabbing a name someone cant be that hard? Maybe the 'subject' isn't that good a musician,to explain what he's doing (it happens)..And I know the Yanks have the entire Miller/Freeman corp behind them.....But dont fanzines in musical genres bubble up and get noticed with their no sugar attitudes...thats how they get respected...

Maybe it would be dull as sh*te to interview ANOTHER Fender/Ricky wielding 20 something with an Ampeg or a Harke stack,that finished his/her LP a month ago,and cant read...does it not tell you how BAD British music really is???[/quote]

Yeap - they really have got the right people feeding into the magazine. Are all those people journos? Nah. The mag is just on the ball with regards getting the text right. They really are a force in the bass world - could BGM run a bass even like BP and attract the names that they do? No. BGM is too small a player at the moment. They aren't even international so most of the name bass players out there don't even know that it exists.

OK - London gigs. What name bass players have we got touring at the moment? It's all pop sh1te that is happening around here. Would those people make for any more entertaining reading? I don't know. Maybe. Just because they are touring, does that give you access to them? Some people don't want to know. Was anybody interested in the interviews with Richard Jones (he of the Feeling if anybody is lost) or Charlotte Cooper of the Subways? It's a tricky task. There are no UK bass heros at the moment. The last one was Stuart Zender in Jamiroquai days. I wouldn't thank anybody being tasked with going out to find a name bass player to interview. In some ways it's better that you don't do an interview rather than do a cop out one... but then again, interviews can help shift magazines. Catch 22.

Well, my subscription recently ran out and I decided not to renew it. But being as Stuart Clayton has had the balls to come on the thread and join the debate, I'm going to cut them some slack , I'm going to renew it again. How's that then !

Any plans to interview Glenn Hughes Stuart ?

[quote name='Machines' post='450722' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:03 PM']I'll likely continue to buy BGM regardless of it's content. If only to flick through and dismiss it in 10 mins (like the latest issue).

Previous issues have been reasonable, some even decent, but most for me have missed and alienated the majority of bassists. There are too many reviews of custom basses, generally 2-3 per issue (at a guess). There should be 2-3 a year for me.

The aforementioned majority don't and won't buy custom basses, they want to know about popular brands and instruments, not something that costs 10x as much and looks like a coffee table (this is quoting other people !)

I think it might be interesting to review OLD gear, not brand new top of the range stuff all the time, especially since the 2nd hand market is so hot at the moment (compared to new).[/quote]

I don't 100% agree with you there... although I do understand what your frustrations are. The point of looking at custom basses is that they are basses that cannot be seen in your local music shop. Anybody can go into a shop and look at your standard Fender, Yamaha, Ibanez, blah, blah but I do agree, there should be a range of instruments with a range of price tags reviewed. It is the exotica which helps build the audience. If not, why is there such a huge fascination with presitige cars? It's the same sort of thinking.

Old gear could be quite an interesting option. I remember Guitarist magazine doing a run where they would look at classic guitars and decribe the evolution, quirks of manufacture and valuation depending upon it's year. It certainly makes for more interesting reading than lifting the contents of the Fender catalogue.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='450727' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:11 PM']Rather than custom basses all the time, what if they reviewed reader's own Frankenbasses and how they did it?

I find Neepheid's exploits with a biscuit tin more exciting to read than which exotic tree has been culled to make the pickup covers.[/quote]

But you are looking at a very small niche market to whom that would appeal. Remember, BGM is a business... and BGMs plan is to maximise sales. If it became a DIY bass mag, I think it would lose a lot more readers than those who would be put off by exotic tree falling to make pickup covers.

Edited by EBS_freak

Has anyone received the latest issue? I had to write to them to get Januarys issue so I hope they havent forgotten me again.

I also ordered a back issue that I had to write numerous eMails to receive.

Very shoddy service and I won't be renewing.

Steve

[quote name='Johngh' post='450730' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:14 PM']Well, my subscription recently ran out and I decided not to renew it. But being as Stuart Clayton has had the balls to come on the thread and join the debate, I'm going to cut them some slack , I'm going to renew it again. How's that then ![/quote]

D'you really think that took balls? And is that the REAL reason you renewed your sub? You strike me as a very generous person.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='450724' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:10 PM']Yeap - they really have got the right people feeding into the magazine. Are all those people journos? Nah. The mag is just on the ball with regards getting the text right. They really are a force in the bass world - could BGM run a bass even like BP and attract the names that they do? No. BGM is too small a player at the moment. They aren't even international so most of the name bass players out there don't even know that it exists.

OK - London gigs. What name bass players have we got touring at the moment? It's all pop sh1te that is happening around here. Would those people make for any more entertaining reading? I don't know. Maybe. Just because they are touring, does that give you access to them? Some people don't want to know. Was anybody interested in the interviews with Richard Jones (he of the Feeling if anybody is lost) or Charlotte Cooper of the Subways? It's a tricky task. There are no UK bass heros at the moment. The last one was Stuart Zender in Jamiroquai days. I wouldn't thank anybody being tasked with going out to find a name bass player to interview. In some ways it's better that you don't do an interview rather than do a cop out one... but then again, interviews can help shift magazines. Catch 22.[/quote]
Have they ever done an issue on workers,the Joe Bloggs on the backing circuit? Not just the Big guys doing Wembley and NEC back Madonna or whoever,but the stiffs that have done the WMCs and camps for the last 3-4 decades,they exist,Ive worked with them,theres a veritable goldmine of stories and tips these guys/girls can pass on,and it would be a killer read,plus they'd have a ton more going on between their ears about being a worker than any fly by night coming out of studio after 'its' 1st lp...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='450735' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:17 PM']But you are looking at a very small niche market to whom that would appeal. Remember, BGM is a business... and BGMs plan is to maximise sales. If it became a DIY bass mag, I think it would lose a lot more readers than those who would be put off by exotic tree falling to make pickup covers.[/quote]

What I meant was "as well as", not just home-made DIY stuff.

Apologies, but to use the Top Gear analogy again, we all like to look at Ferrari's, but we also find racing across Africa in knackered old bangers funny as well.

I'm surprised that those buying expensive custom jobbies is not just as much a niche market as DIY?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='450731' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:15 PM']Old gear could be quite an interesting option. I remember Guitarist magazine doing a run where they would look at classic guitars and decribe the evolution, quirks of manufacture and valuation depending upon it's year. It certainly makes for more interesting reading than lifting the contents of the Fender catalogue.[/quote]
Pomeroys doing that in Bassplayer...Starfires,EB0's etc etc. John Slog did the classic Basses for years a decade ago...I recall the 4005.

[quote name='ARGH' post='450748' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:23 PM']Have they ever done an issue on workers,the Joe Bloggs on the backing circuit? Not just the Big guys doing Wembley and NEC back Madonna or whoever,but the stiffs that have done the WMCs and camps for the last 3-4 decades,they exist,Ive worked with them,theres a veritable goldmine of stories and tips these guys/girls can pass on,and it would be a killer read,plus they'd have a ton more going on between their ears about being a worker than any fly by night coming out of studio after 'its' 1st lp...[/quote]

I understand what you are saying and I agree, for me, that would make interesting reading. Trouble is... most reader are driven by the celebrity thing. e.g. people who aren't in the same world as them.

Interview Steve Stroud of the SAS band. I bet he has a few stories that he could (or can't) tell.

My partner just had a flick through both mags and also perceived there to be quite a lot more advertising content than BGM. But there isn't really, it just looks like that. She was also quite interested to see that there was a LOT of right hand page advertising in BGM which she said is significantly more expensive than a left hand page advert. She's a marketing director so she knows about this stuff.

[quote name='silddx' post='450747' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:22 PM']D'you really think that took balls? And is that the REAL reason you renewed your sub? You strike me as a very generous person.[/quote]

Generous to the core me. Some people would have not bothered to get involved with the thread, but Stu did. End Of.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='450750' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:23 PM']What I meant was "as well as", not just home-made DIY stuff.

Apologies, but to use the Top Gear analogy again, we all like to look at Ferrari's, but we also find racing across Africa in knackered old bangers funny as well.

I'm surprised that those buying expensive custom jobbies is not just as much a niche market as DIY?[/quote]

Yup that would make amusing reading.

Then again, Top Gear isn't really about the cars anymore is it? Its more of a comedy show now.

Not that that is a bad thing... but I'm not sure if the publishers of BGM would agree that is the right direction to take as a credible (or trying to be) magazine.

[quote name='Johngh' post='450755' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:27 PM']Generous to the core me. Some people would have not bothered to get involved with the thread, but Stu did. End Of.[/quote]

Exactly. Stu is not the face of BGM and doesn't have to do anything to promote BGM... so the fact that he is coming on here to talk about it is very good of him.

[quote name='silddx' post='450754' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:27 PM']My partner just had a flick through both mags and also perceived there to be quite a lot more advertising content than BGM. But there isn't really, it just looks like that. She was also quite interested to see that there was a LOT of right hand page advertising in BGM which she said is significantly more expensive than a left hand page advert. She's a marketing director so she knows about this stuff.[/quote]

Hmm. I wonder if BGM know this...

[quote name='Johngh' post='450755' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:27 PM']Generous to the core me. Some people would have not bothered to get involved with the thread, but Stu did. End Of.[/quote]

The others haven't bothered have they? It's in their interests to get involved. They don't. They don't even have a readers letters element. Are they really interested in what you think?

Stuart Clayton said earlier in this thread he doesn't really have much of an opinion or anything to say, and that some like the mag, some don't and little will change. I think that's a really apathetic way of running a business, and they need to pull their socks up or lose it.