Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='450195' date='Mar 31 2009, 01:29 AM']It could be worse. We could have just released a green bass with a bright orange scratchplate. ;-)

Stu[/quote]

Feck me. Will you stop slagging off the basses I lend you guys :)

As for comments regarding my GB in the 5 string shoot out, check this thread. Hope it clears things up.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35556"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35556[/url]

...and as a further comment - when has their ever been a break out box stating a second opinion. What is Adrian's beef?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='silddx' post='450509' date='Mar 31 2009, 01:55 PM']WHY?[/quote]
Why ?? Well up to now there's one in total.If there were a few to choose from then maybe but the truth is there will always be somebody who's not happy.You can't win 'em all.
The easiest thing is to just not buy it if you don't like it.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='450522' date='Mar 31 2009, 02:08 PM']It just needs to grow some balls!

Guitar magazines have opinions, why can't BGM?

I have never read anything though provoking in the entire mag. Ever.[/quote]

But you already know the answer, Beefy.

In a market with a single massively dominant brand, you can't afford to risk offending that brand. In a magazine with a dominant advertiser, you can't afford to risk offending that advertiser.

So if you're always nice about Fender and Warwick, but routinely rude about - say - Aria and Peavey, how long before (justified) accusations of bias are being hurled at you? So you end up giving everyone the same easy ride.

In the days when I used to read [i]Bike! / Which Bike? / What Bike? / That Bike? / No - the Other Bike[/i] I saw much the same pattern, especially with regard to KawaSuziYamaHonda. Not that those four are a cartel selling virtually identical products, of course.

It's easier with cars. There are lots of major manufacturers, in many different economies, all genuinely competing with each other. If a Clarkson says something rude about Vauxhalls, that doesn't mean that General Motors immediately pull all their adverts and stop offering new models for road tests - they need Clarkson more than he needs them.

I have read a few copies of BGM myself.

I do think it's close, but no cigar. I agree with the OP and tBBC amongst the rest, it almost needs a Jeremy Clarkson "I don't give a s**t" style of reporting (not that I'd want it to be a Bass clone of Top Gear).

The few star player reviews left me feeling like I had just read the transcript of their preamble before the interview started and wanting more. A lot more.

I'm not trying to say I could do any better, but would love to see it improved.

Would also be good to find it in more places that WHSmith as well.

Edited by Johngh

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='450545' date='Mar 31 2009, 02:42 PM']But you already know the answer, Beefy.

In a market with a single massively dominant brand, you can't afford to risk offending that brand. In a magazine with a dominant advertiser, you can't afford to risk offending that advertiser.

So if you're always nice about Fender and Warwick, but routinely rude about - say - Aria and Peavey, how long before (justified) accusations of bias are being hurled at you? So you end up giving everyone the same easy ride.

In the days when I used to read [i]Bike! / Which Bike? / What Bike? / That Bike? / No - the Other Bike[/i] I saw much the same pattern, especially with regard to KawaSuziYamaHonda. Not that those four are a cartel selling virtually identical products, of course.

It's easier with cars. There are lots of major manufacturers, in many different economies, all genuinely competing with each other. If a Clarkson says something rude about Vauxhalls, that doesn't mean that General Motors immediately pull all their adverts and stop offering new models for road tests - they need Clarkson more than he needs them.[/quote]

Yeah, I know you're right. I just sometimes think there's [i]playing it safe [/i]and then there's [i]playing it BGM safe[/i].

At least the style of writing could be slightly more interesting? If I hear the phrase "passable Marcus Miller/Jaco impression" one more time, I'm heading up the bell tower with the sniper rifle.

Read the reviews in the majority of guitar magazines and they're so much more interesting and entertaining - even if the review outcome is the same.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='450578' date='Mar 31 2009, 03:07 PM']Yeah, I know you're right. I just sometimes think there's [i]playing it safe [/i]and then there's [i]playing it BGM safe[/i].

At least the style of writing could be slightly more interesting? If I hear the phrase "passable Marcus Miller/Jaco impression" one more time, I'm heading up the bell tower with the sniper rifle.

Read the reviews in the majority of guitar magazines and they're so much more interesting and entertaining - even if the review outcome is the same.[/quote]

Yeah, spot on.

It's like eating rice crackers, totally bland and not even good for you. Still, I know some dudes that like eating them.

I just now bought the latest Bass Player and it feels so much more "professional".

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='450563' date='Mar 31 2009, 02:56 PM']I agree with the OP and tBBC amongst the rest, it almost needs a Jeremy Clarkson "I don't give a s**t" style of reporting (not that I'd want it to be a Bass clone of Top Gear).[/quote]

Telling people at a dinner party you play a Warwick is like telling them you’ve got the ebola virus and you’re about to sneeze.

[On Vigier] I think the problem is that it’s French. It’s a surrendermonkey.

I’m sorry, but having a Shuker in the house and not playing it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If you’ve got even half a scrotum it’s not going to happen.

[On the Line 6 Lowdown LD400 Pro combo] It sounds like Barry White eating wasps.

That new Flea bass really! It’s like a lion in orange dungarees. Kind of fierce, but ridiculous all at the same time.

[On the Enfield 4 string bass] Think of it as Angelina Jolie. You’ve heard she’s mad and eats nothing but wallpaper paste. But you would, wouldn’t you?

The Iceni Zoot Deluxe is like a quail’s egg dipped in celery salt and served in Julia Roberts’ belly button.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='450633' date='Mar 31 2009, 04:11 PM']Telling people at a dinner party you play a Warwick is like telling them you’ve got the ebola virus and you’re about to sneeze.

[On Vigier] I think the problem is that it’s French. It’s a surrendermonkey.

I’m sorry, but having a Shuker in the house and not playing it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If you’ve got even half a scrotum it’s not going to happen.

[On the Line 6 Lowdown LD400 Pro combo] It sounds like Barry White eating wasps.

That new Flea bass really! It’s like a lion in orange dungarees. Kind of fierce, but ridiculous all at the same time.

[On the Enfield 4 string bass] Think of it as Angelina Jolie. You’ve heard she’s mad and eats nothing but wallpaper paste. But you would, wouldn’t you?

The Iceni Zoot Deluxe is like a quail’s egg dipped in celery salt and served in Julia Roberts’ belly button.[/quote]

That's more like it.

I actually finished reading your post, which is more than can be said for the majority of BGM reviews.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='450578' date='Mar 31 2009, 03:07 PM']If I hear the phrase "passable Marcus Miller/Jaco impression" one more time, I'm heading up the bell tower with the sniper rifle.[/quote]

I also feel the writing could be a little more gritty and 3D. For me its the regularly unimaginative questions along the lines of:

[i]i) Why do/don't you play slap?

ii) Why do/don't you play 5 or 6 string?[/i]

But I always end up buying it and giving it [i]one more chance[/i]...

[quote name='Jase' post='450685' date='Mar 31 2009, 05:14 PM']Look at it like this...there's a new editor....give it a chance, see how it develops.[/quote]

Weren't they promising improvements 6 months ago though? A revised reviewing system?

The new reviewing system is incredibly...erm..."thorough".

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='450688' date='Mar 31 2009, 05:18 PM']Weren't they promising improvements 6 months ago though? A revised reviewing system?

The new reviewing system is incredibly...erm..."thorough".[/quote]

I was just looking at the website reviews...

[url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=221:gb-guitars-spitfire-5-string-issue-36&catid=37:bassguitars"]http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.ph...=37:bassguitars[/url]

Seems like the review of my Spitfire has been nicely mangled with (some of the negative parts to boot) the Ibanez BTB675 review. I can see why manufacturers would be reluctant to have text printed about their products when things like this are happening.

Do [i]any[/i] checks happen anywhere?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='450689' date='Mar 31 2009, 05:24 PM']I was just looking at the website reviews...

[url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=221:gb-guitars-spitfire-5-string-issue-36&catid=37:bassguitars"]http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.ph...=37:bassguitars[/url]

Seems like the review of my Spitfire has been nicely mangled with (some of the negative parts to boot) the Ibanez BTB675 review. I can see why manufacturers would be reluctant to have text printed about their products when things like this are happening.

Do [i]any[/i] checks happen anywhere?[/quote]

That's quite frustrating to see...!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='450586' date='Mar 31 2009, 03:19 PM']Maybe tBBC is right here and BGM does need to "grow some balls" after all it is the only dedicated UK bass mag. Where else are Fender etc. going to advertise in order to appeal to UK bass players?[/quote]
Back of the net!!!

Anyone can be bland,problem is..do you have Journo's writing,or musicians playing at Journo's??

Bassplayers staff are pretty much Journos (college major,uni ..whatever..qualified in Journalism) that play bass or have played bass to an,at least semipro level....Bar the Workshops,and those persons tend to be professional tutors (Rich Appleman,Steve Bailey,Goldsby,Berlin etc).

Have a stab at playing big fish....its a small pond being the only UK based choice,so pump up!