Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

• 1 month later...

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1111539' date='Feb 1 2011, 08:11 PM']For those who subscribe, when does the free gift come? I had my first subscribed issue & no gift. I've emailed them last week & in a bid to excell on customer service they've simply ignored it :)[/quote]
I joined after Xmas and no strings to date. I've just emailed them, wonder if i will get a reply.....if not i know where they live :)

[quote name='frank' post='1111819' date='Feb 1 2011, 11:38 PM']Yeah i just didnt buy it after having a quick look.
But on the other hand next month is Gary Willis and Last month was Scott Thoones,so its not so bad[/quote]
My good friend did me a CD of Slaughter House 3, Gary Willis's band...awesome...i do love a bit of jazzrockfusion.

I like the the first letter of this months issue. A guy has written in about the Bassically Speaking feature, which he likes, but complains about what appears to be a tremendous amout of hate about 5 string basses from a lot of the featured bassists. He also points out that some of them, afer dissing 5 strings then go on to say how they detune. I have read quite a few of these features and must agree with him. Some of them really make a point of it.

I'm no 5 string player, although I once owned a 5 string Stingray fretless for a short while, and I have no issue with 5 strings. There was a recent thread on BC about a similar perceived prejudice for anything over 4 strings.

There are a couple of daft mistakes-the worst being in the bit about Mark King and it mentions the slap influence of 'Larry Johnson'. is that some super player made up of Larry Graham and Louis Johnson? In the same article it mentions that Marco Mendoza's album 'Casa Mendoza' is his first solo album-it's not.
Also(being picky),in the funk column,it says that 'Rappers Delight' samples Bernard Edwards line on 'Good Times'. Nearly-the line was actually re-recorded,I can't remember who by right now though.

[quote name='mep' post='1151816' date='Mar 6 2011, 07:46 PM']I like the the first letter of this months issue. A guy has written in about the Bassically Speaking feature, which he likes, but complains about what appears to be a tremendous amout of hate about 5 string basses from a lot of the featured bassists. He also points out that some of them, afer dissing 5 strings then go on to say how they detune. I have read quite a few of these features and must agree with him. Some of them really make a point of it.[/quote]
I agree to a point. He then kind of blew his arguement for me a little by implying that 4 string bassists were just trying to look cool and pose. Each to their own I say. I've nothing against 5 stringers, they just ain't for me. Musicians often talk rubbish so I don't know why he was that bothered by a few people sounding off. I certainly wouldn't write in just because a musician said something a bit silly.

Re the top of this page my email was ignored by BGM. I phoned and emailed again and only then did they acknowledge the lacklustre response. Not a massive problem but a bit irratating. All sorted now

Edited by BurritoBass

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1151916' date='Mar 6 2011, 09:29 PM']Musicians often talk rubbish so I don't know why he was that bothered by a few people sounding off.[/quote]
From such beginnings forums are born :)

I quite liked most of this month's edition, although I didn't read it all so missed the abrupt endi.....

I particularly liked the Pete Skjold bass review and subsequent article on his business.

Anyone with real grievances against BGM could vent themselves at this coming weekend's show.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1151893' date='Mar 6 2011, 09:11 PM']Also(being picky),in the funk column,it says that 'Rappers Delight' samples Bernard Edwards line on 'Good Times'. Nearly-the line was actually re-recorded,I can't remember who by right now though.[/quote]
It was Doug Wimbish wasn't it?

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='1152368' date='Mar 7 2011, 11:49 AM']It was Doug Wimbish wasn't it?[/quote]

No-Wimbish came in after that track.

Edit.... It was a guy called Chip Shearin that played the bass on 'Rappers Delight'.

Edited by Doddy

[quote name='Doddy' post='1152526' date='Mar 7 2011, 02:33 PM']No-Wimbish came in after that track.

Edit.... It was a guy called Chip Shearin that played the bass on 'Rappers Delight'.[/quote]

I heard that, but I also heard that (label/studio owner) Sylvia Robinson herself did it! Unlikely...

Stu

[quote name='ezbass' post='1152209' date='Mar 7 2011, 09:29 AM']From such beginnings forums are born :)[/quote]
Oh absolutely & long may that be the case. The trick is though is not to get too upset when everybody else doesn't have the same influences and use the same gear as you. How boring would it be if we all agreed all the time? :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1152737' date='Mar 7 2011, 05:54 PM']The trick is though is not to get too upset when everybody else doesn't have the same influences and use the same gear as you. How boring would it be if we all agreed all the time? :)[/quote]
That should be put in the forum rules, well put.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='1272751' date='Jun 17 2011, 01:57 PM']Can I be the first to complain about BGM. my July edition has just arrived, 13 days early.........![/quote]

Same here, totally outrageous.

And featuring our very own Burritobass. :)

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? It's out already? Man! That sucks! :) I was hoping to live off the glory of my piece in *this* months edition AT LEAST to the end of the month! ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! :)

[quote name='gary mac' post='1272770' date='Jun 17 2011, 02:13 PM']And featuring our very own Burritobass. :)[/quote]
Great news for those kids who want that "Tim Emery sound" :)

I knew the piece was coming, although I've lost 2 stone since that pic was taken so I'll have to request a follow up article! :lol:

[quote name='vsmith1' post='1272800' date='Jun 17 2011, 02:41 PM']Anyone who is a subscriber found the Digital Edition yet?

I could not see anything that led me to it.[/quote]

Got an e-mail from Oyster House Media this week. They're looking to employ someone with web experience... so I assume that explains why it's all so out of date!

[url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/"]BGM[/url]

[quote name='Jondeeman' post='1272824' date='Jun 17 2011, 03:16 PM']They're looking to employ someone with web experience...
[url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/"]BGM[/url][/quote]
They should employ somebody with "Putting a decent magazine together" experience while they're at it.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1272865' date='Jun 17 2011, 03:52 PM']They should employ somebody with "Putting a decent magazine together" experience while they're at it.[/quote]
I'll be pedantic and note the number of xrst items -I think that the pre-press people used ligatures and the printer did not - this is probably why first changed to xrst - the fi were a ligature. Eg page 35

It smacks of poor controls. Also I would to have the EBS CL112 cabinet - its weight is stated at 15kg (3lb) can I have the one in imperial measurements! 3lb for a 12" cab would be fantastic.

I also cannot understand why the EBS CL112 cab with a 12" driver is 380x490x340mm whereas the Genz Benz 12T is 690x580x440 - seems almost twice as high?

I don't play an upright but on the AER review I'd expect the reviewer to have actually tried an upright through it.

I'll stop now.

[quote name='vsmith1' post='1274145' date='Jun 18 2011, 09:27 PM']I don't play an upright but on the AER review I'd expect the reviewer to have actually tried an upright through it.

I'll stop now.[/quote]

Do you want me to try it out when I'm at JHS HQ? :)