Smoke on the Water - Heavy Metal?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Smoke on the Water - Heavy Metal?

• most definitely
    • yes, but barely
    • almost, but not quite
    • definitely not

18 hours ago, Richard R said:

One of my school friends had a really thick brummie accent. French lessons were great. He had the language and grammar down perfectly, and spoke pretty well.  But every so often his natural accent would break though. Bonn jewa!

Imagine sitting in a classroom where all thirty of us were speaking French with a Brummie accent. A bizarre consequence of this was that whenever I spoke French in France some locals would ask me if I was from Paris. 

'Paris?'

'It's your accent'.

Either this was (i) a very subtle insult aimed both at me and at Parisians or (ii) Parisians sound like Brummies to other Frenchmen.

Similar thing happened a few years ago in St Omer. The Missus and I bought some chips and sat on a bench in the town square to eat them. Some local kids walked past, pointed at us and shouted 'Look at the stupid Belgians eating their chips outdoors like Belgians do'.

I is a chameleon, me, a master of disguise.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Born and bred in Brum, but I now live in Halesowen, which is just about in the Black Country. After 20 years of living here, I think I've almost been accepted by most of the locals...

Birmingham is ace and the accent is lovely and very hard to lose- just ask Jeff Lynne! I'm not sure if Brum is good for Metal in 2021, but it certainly was in the 70s and 80s. 

(Side note... any Brum based Basschaters remember a band called Money?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

...Some local kids walked past, pointed at us and shouted 'Look at the stupid Belgians eating their chips outdoors like Belgians do'....

A rare master of English from those Audomarois, I'd say. ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mickyk said:

Moderator? Can we rename this thread. .thus ..See how many famous acts that came from Birmingham can we name ...I'll start you off ..Black Sabbath.

/thread

xD :P

Edited by Dad3353

11 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Always wanted to get Duran Duran into a metal thread

I seem to remember that around the time of "Wild Boys," Andy Taylor was interviewed in Kerrang.

...thats pretty Metal. 

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Which Taylor is best for metal?

tumblr_pi1790OTHO1rl0s7io1_500.gifv

3 hours ago, Mickyk said:

Can we rename this thread. .thus ..See how many famous acts that came from Birmingham can we name ...I'll start you off ..Black Sabbath.

That whole thing started with a sarcastic query that was followed up with more & more sarcasm, but I will go on & on about Black Sabbath, because they defined Heavy Metal.

10 hours ago, Mickyk said:

Moderator? Can we rename this thread. .thus ..See how many famous acts that came from Birmingham can we name ...I'll start you off ..Black Sabbath.

Well if we include the surrounding areas:

The Specials- Coventry

The Wonder Stuff / Neds Atomic Dustbin- Stourbridge(ish)

Judas Priest

But Sabbath and The Specials are enough for me. One of the best metal bands and the best of the Ska bands.

Just now, MHMSWC#03 said:

Really getting into 1980's NME territory here! 🙂

Nothing wrong with ‘80’s NME territory! Actively searching  for music and eagerly awaiting the arrival of a new release or tour. It made it all so much more enjoyable and far less of a disposable commodity.

4 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Well if we include the surrounding areas:

The Specials- Coventry

The Wonder Stuff / Neds Atomic Dustbin- Stourbridge(ish)

Judas Priest

But Sabbath and The Specials are enough for me. One of the best metal bands and the best of the Ska bands.

Plant and Bonham.

Slade.

Glenn Hughes.

It goes on, but when do you stop?

It should not pass from the memory of mankind that the Mellotron was manufactured in Streetly, a leafier suburb of the leafy Birmingham suburb of Sutton Coldfield.

So: no Birmingham, no Mellotron, no prog-rock.

27.jpg
Streetly Electronics factory in the 70's (Reliant Robin at far right of parked vehicles).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

It should not pass from the memory of mankind that the Mellotron was manufactured in Streetly, a leafier suburb of the leafy Birmingham suburb of Sutton Coldfield.

So: no Birmingham, no Mellotron, no prog-rock.

Is that a good or a bad thing? It's not an easy choice…..

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Fuzzbox.

Originally known as "We've got a fuzzbox and we're gonna use it", if I remember correctly.  Formed at KECH Girls' school, or "Next door" as it was known to those of us at the boys' school.

Next question: how many of you lot of Brummies, Black Country Lads,  Posh Silhillians, New Romantics, metal freaks, ELO freaks (eh?) and so on are heading up to the Midlands Bass Bash? 

23 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Originally known as "We've got a fuzzbox and we're gonna use it", if I remember correctly.  Formed at KECH Girls' school, or "Next door" as it was known to those of us at the boys' school.

Next question: how many of you lot of Brummies, Black Country Lads,  Posh Silhillians, New Romantics, metal freaks, ELO freaks (eh?) and so on are heading up to the Midlands Bass Bash? 

Ah ha ha, I was at Hillcrest Girls (brothel on the hill).

• Haha 1