91 members have voted

1. 1. Smoke on the Water - Heavy Metal?

• most definitely
    • yes, but barely
    • almost, but not quite
    • definitely not

1 minute ago, WHUFC BASS said:

It doesn't need to compartmentalised.

I've presented examples of why it does, good examples. NEED is a strong word, but it comes in handy sometimes.

I doubt many of you would attend a Mister Mister concert in corpse-paint, but it would suit some sub-genres.

More seriously, classifying music into genres is like classifying animals into species.

It has no intrinsic value or meaning, it's just a handle that helps human beings conceptualise how different music/animals are related.

For animals cladistics (bases of common ancestors) is far more objective and insightful, similarly a Pete Frame Family Tree tells you a lot more than grouping bands by genre.

It's an analogy that will stand a fair degree of stretching, even if it isn't perfect.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

...a Mister Mister concert ...

No idea who this is/was, so looked it up. Not sure how/where/why to classify it/them, but I'd prefer a concert like this over any of the heavy metal riff-raff I've seen posted so far. YMMV, of course, but musically speaking, there's just no match. The fellow can sing, which is a plus. :|

4 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Well, if we're allowed to talk music, there's always him (and a few others...), naturally. Is Tchaikovsky 'heavy'..? (Answer : sometimes..!) -_-

I love how the varying perspectives of various snobberies can meet in at a single point: here Tchaikovsky is being used as a stick for beating heavy metal, but within vast swathes of the classical world, expressing any kind of fondness for the odd piece of his requires all manner of excuses and a definite promise not to claim that he's actually any good. 

33 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

No idea who this is/was, so looked it up. Not sure how/where/why to classify it/them, but I'd prefer a concert like this over any of the heavy metal riff-raff I've seen posted so far. YMMV, of course, but musically speaking, there's just no match. The fellow can sing, which is a plus. :|

And play bass - that’s Richard page, he wrote the song also 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ricky Rioli said:

I love how the varying perspectives of various snobberies can meet in at a single point: here Tchaikovsky is being used as a stick for beating heavy metal, but within vast swathes of the classical world, expressing any kind of fondness for the odd piece of his requires all manner of excuses and a definite promise not to claim that he's actually any good. 

How about Magma, then..? Are they metal..? Or Einstürzende Neubauten, perhaps..? It's the idolatry that I find odd, trying to 'defend' a very niche part of a world-wide and multi-century universe of Music. It just seems, to me, to be so daft, just listening through such a narrow letter-box when there is soooooo much more out there. OK, there's some maybe slightly less good, but still... There's Great Music in all genres, some more than others, but only slightly so. :friends:

45 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

No idea who this is/was, so looked it up. Not sure how/where/why to classify it/them, but I'd prefer a concert like this over any of the heavy metal riff-raff I've seen posted so far. YMMV, of course, but musically speaking, there's just no match. The fellow can sing, which is a plus. 

I'll raise you Dio 🙂

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The only music that is truly no good, is any music no-one enjoys*.

*i.e. Edith Piaf and yodelling.

Very difficult to find music no-one enjoys. Scottish and Irish folk music is certainly not universally appreciated (ducks). And there’s anything Morris dancers jig about to. 

4 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I'm friends with a jazz singer who is not only French, but very stereotypically French. As Je Ne Regretter Rien came on the radio she took a drag on her Gitanes, poured her petite noir gracefully down her throat, let loose a long, slow billow of tobacco smoke from her nostrils, and exclaimed with the weary derision only the gallic can truly evoke "Ugh... she gives me a headache".

It could only have been any classier had it happened in black and white.

I read a post on YouTube on one of her songs, I forget which song it was now. This person said they remember this song with great fondness as the last time they had heard it was from a foxhole in France. I Googled the song and it was released in the 50's, so this guy must have heard a very exclusive pre-pre-pre release edition being played on his radio whilst he dodged bullets from the Jerry's!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Well, if we're allowed to talk music, there's always him (and a few others...), naturally. Is Tchaikovsky 'heavy'..? (Answer : sometimes..!) -_-

In my musical world 'heavy metal' refers to composers with a penchant for the use of the heavy brass department... cue Wagner, Bruckner, Mahler, Richard Strauss, Shostakovich et al...