Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass GAS (AR$E! - Sold)

PaulThePlug

Got an Acoustic Bass Itch... worth Scratchin'?

Already got a set of used Rotosound Nexus Black Poly Coated strings on the way from @paul_5 to replace any Sqeaky Scratch Catchy Phosphore Bronze things that mag be fitted.

Thoughts? Another sign of getting old?

Edited by PaulThePlug

38 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Got an Acoustic Bass Itch... worth Scratchin'?

Already got a set of used Rotosound Nexus Black Poly Coated strings on the way from @paul_5 to replace any Sqeaky Scratch Catchy Phosphore Bronze things that mag be fitted.

Thoughts? Another sign of getting old?

I like the look of some of them. Then I read the reviews and think they're not worth the money or the space in the house. Give me something with F holes to satisfy the "need" for the appearance of an acoustic and I'm happy I've got a use able instrument. 

I never really saw the point until I had a go on my brother in law's Harley Benton AB and found myself really enjoying it.

I'd never have one as my main bass but I think they're just a fun thing to have around the house for picking up and noodling on.

I too found the thick uncontoured body a bit uncomfy for playing finger style and I'm not a huge fan of the very bright tone from the phosphor bronze strings but the OP has already addressed that issue.

Edited by Cato

I have one as part of a much bigger collection. It sounds a bit more pro with flats on, rather than the stock rounds (terrible tone on my bass). I keep it upstairs in the bedroom and play along with the Alexa unit late at night. I can't imagine a scenario where I would do much more than that with it but I am pleased I have it. Note to the wise, the bigger the body, the better the tone seems to be with these. Mine is just a cheapy but pretty good.

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/J-D-ABG-1-4-String-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-Black/art-BAS0001331-000?campaign=GShopping/GB&ProgramUUID=5G_AqJarZwoAAAFl0FZyjI8V&gclid=CjwKCAjwz_WGBhA1EiwAUAxIcYcEEI06XMavzi3YHC0WUy-jecOl_ZSdbp3v79B-RKSBbsjaM8FTQxoC9KoQAvD_BwE

Mine has certainly been useful. My band is all acoustic, with cajon, except for me. I often use the acoustic (an old Warwick Alien Rockbass) when we get together to work on stuff outside rehearsal, or for run-throughs the night before a gig. It’s also good for festivals when camping, where again we can sit round the campsite and just run through stuff. I wouldn’t say it’s loud, but it’s certainly audible. I do keep meaning to change the bronze strings - which must be years old by now - for flats or similar, but I am a bit concerned that it will make it harder to hear in the above scenarios, which are really the only times I do use it. 

18 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I have one as part of a much bigger collection. It sounds a bit more pro with flats on, rather than the stock rounds (terrible tone on my bass). I keep it upstairs in the bedroom and play along with the Alexa unit late at night. I can't imagine a scenario where I would do much more than that with it but I am pleased I have it. Note to the wise, the bigger the body, the better the tone seems to be with these. Mine is just a cheapy but pretty good.

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/J-D-ABG-1-4-String-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-Black/art-BAS0001331-000?campaign=GShopping/GB&ProgramUUID=5G_AqJarZwoAAAFl0FZyjI8V&gclid=CjwKCAjwz_WGBhA1EiwAUAxIcYcEEI06XMavzi3YHC0WUy-jecOl_ZSdbp3v79B-RKSBbsjaM8FTQxoC9KoQAvD_BwE

What instrument does Alexa play?

• Haha 3

I was originaly thinking Flats, same Adagio's i have on the SR600. But after doing some reading it seems Flats on Acoustics are a little too 'flat n quiet' and Tapewounds or similar seemed the ideal way to go... hence the Nexus.

The one i have an eye on is bowl back... and rather special i think... It would be a treat to me... I will have to see... It would just be for noodling at home

Edited by PaulThePlug

When I've had a quick twang on acoustic basses, my impression is the big body would be properly annoying if you just wanted to noodle around on it, like having a small piece of furniture on your lap !

That said it'd be quite cool to have something non electrickery based... I did have the brutal idea of butchering an old knackered acoustic git into a bass .. 😱

Don’t know if it’s my physique, but bowl back style basses ( and guitars come to think of it ) always seem uncomfortable to play. They seem to want to face upwards too much, even when seated. Always put me off Ovations, along with the plastic (sorry, ‘Lyrachord’) construction of the backs. 

• Confused 1

Stage!.. I'm not good enough for 'in the lounge' yet!

It was up for £350, needed a good clean! Do it for £300 they said... Went away for a think... back the next day and it had been sold. Oh Well... Got a £120 Harley Benton HBO-850 'Ovation-a-like' in Black landing soon,

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbo_850_bass_black.htm

...and a set of Adagio flats at the ready...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

My ABG is a Tanglewood 'Rosewood Reserve', a really lovely thing of loveliness. I hated the feel of the phos-bronze strings, so just as an experiment I fitted an old set of Elixir nickels from one of my gigging basses. SO much better!