Why become a member? ×

Music Man Dark Ray

If I was still playing Stingrays regularly, I might be interested, but since I’m not, I’ll be able to save myself who knows how many £1000’s by avoiding these.

If I was in the market for one, I certainly wouldn’t be going for the Granite Stone colour (limited to 100 pieces worldwide apparently) and why doesn’t the Obsidian Black version have a MHS?

https://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/darkray

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 2

The 100 is the limited granite stone colour - which is available in The Vault so can be bought internationally - apparently Andertons have the black one on their site.  The Vault version won’t have retailer’s mark up (which seems to be quite considerable these days - and very variable dependent on who you’re using). 

I think it sounds pretty awesome but I’m not a metal player or even approaching being one 😂

The modes are easily switchable with the blade switch (as he appears to do in the video). 

I would imagine this will go down well with some parts of the market. 

The black version is the regular one. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

Interesting partnership, would have been much more obvious if Darkglass has teamed up with Dingwall or Warwick for this.

Swear I heard some kind of modulation effect in the little teaser they put out last week, so kinda disappointed it just seems to be a stripped down Alpha Omega pedal built in to a regular black hardware Stingray.

Still, its cool, and doesn't seem to be any more expensive than the already crazy new Musicman prices.  So the 100 is just for the grey one?  I was going to criticise why they felt the need to artifically build demand by restricting it so much, but if the black is just in regular production, I think it's a cool addition to the lineup.  And it's called a Dark Ray, which is awesome.

Quite cool as a concept and saves a pedal if you are playing a 'drive pedal always on' type of gig. I think Manson did a Matt Bellamy guitar with inbuilt ZVEX fuzz or something. 

Not something I need, or necessarily something I want, but certainly something I would like to try.

To be honest, the more I think about it the more I want one! 😂  I'm surprised it isn't a massive upcharge on the standard price, or at least doesn't seem to be.  Maybe it is the dealers that make all the money off them after all.

I like the name, the look and the sounds. Not sure about the LED ring though. I mean, isn't the 3-way lever telling me if I am in clean, alpha or omega mode? There are just three modes, not too difficult to distinguish, right? 
Anyway, maybe I am wrong and the DarkRay and the LED lights will be a true game changer 😎

6 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I like the name, the look and the sounds. Not sure about the LED ring though. I mean, isn't the 3-way lever telling me if I am in clean, alpha or omega mode? There are just three modes, not too difficult to distinguish, right? 
Anyway, maybe I am wrong and the DarkRay and the LED lights will be a true game changer 😎

I mean yeah, a game changer it is not.  Matt Bellamy and Mansons were putting Zvex effects in guitars what must be 10-15 years ago, and its hardly took off.  But still, I can definitely see the appeal to players who really don't want to deal with pedalboards but need distortion.  For those with pedalboard setups, i'm not sure what it brings to the table over having one of the pedals.  

1 minute ago, Kev said:

I mean yeah, a game changer it is not.  Matt Bellamy and Mansons were putting Zvex effects in guitars what must be 10-15 years ago, and its hardly took off.  But still, I can definitely see the appeal to players who really don't want to deal with pedalboards but need distortion.  For those with pedalboard setups, i'm not sure what it brings to the table over having one of the pedals.  

The "game changer" is referring to something else, not the new technology 😉 

The other interesting thing here is the 2 band, super clean sounding EQ - but still with the unique fat sounding slap/pop sound. 

Clearly aimed at metal bassists - i think it’s quite an interesting departure. Bright red or bright blue I might be even more interested.