Jump to content
Bass Culture

Rockonteurs with Gary Kemp & Guy Pratt

Recommended Posts

I couldn't find a dedicated thread about this podcast already so thought I'd start one (someone's going to prove me wrong and link to one straight away now, aren't they?! 😁).  I recently came across this when looking for something to listen to during my walk into work each morning.  It's a really simple set-up - Guy and Gary talking to a huge number and variety of people they've worked with over the years (I think culled mostly from Mr Pratt's address book) about their experiences within the industry.  The conversation is pretty unpretentious and pleasingly free flowing and they mostly do a great job of keeping out of the way and letting their guest do the talking.  I've listened to about 8 or so of the 30+ podcasts available.  Giles Martin was brilliant - insightful, enlightening and entertaining - as was Dave Crosby, to name just two.  Very strongly recommended.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bass Culture said:

I couldn't find a dedicated thread about this podcast already so thought I'd start one (someone's going to prove me wrong and link to one straight away now, aren't they?! 😁).  I recently came across this when looking for something to listen to during my walk into work each morning.  It's a really simple set-up - Guy and Gary talking to a huge number and variety of people they've worked with over the years (I think culled mostly from Mr Pratt's address book) about their experiences within the industry.  The conversation is pretty unpretentious and pleasingly free flowing and they mostly do a great job of keeping out of the way and letting their guest do the talking.  I've listened to about 8 or so of the 30+ podcasts available.  Giles Martin was brilliant - insightful, enlightening and entertaining - as was Dave Crosby, to name just two.  Very strongly recommended.

David Crosby?! I wonder if he's read Guy's book...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

David Crosby?! I wonder if he's read Guy's book...

Remind me… what did he say about Croz..?

Edited by wateroftyne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have been my Monday morning podcast listening since they started, even the ones I wasn't that interested in based on who they had on ended up being a good listen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bob Geldof interview was fantastic. I listened to it a couple of times. It's a great podcast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The John Taylor one is the only one I've heard and it's great. They really got the whole atmosphere of listening in on a chat between mates, rather than a staged interview. Also, John was so relaxed talking to them, I got a bit lost when they were talking about some people they all came across back in the 80s without any context who they were or what they did but luckily that didn't go on too long so it wasn't all luvvy industry insider stuff, far from it. 

Need to make time to listen to some more! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Remind me… what did he say about Croz..?

Is it the story of playing a festival with Crosby, Stills and Nash, only for David Crosby to spend his entire time in Pratt's caravan putting the gas hob to insalubrious use? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yorks5stringer said:

Is it the story of playing a festival with Crosby, Stills and Nash, only for David Crosby to spend his entire time in Pratt's caravan putting the gas hob to insalubrious use? 

Ah yes - I remember now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick Mason's Saucer of Secrets from the RoundHouse was on Sky Arts the other eve with Guy Pratt and Gary Kemp...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect some may avoid the non-music industry Ian Le Frenais interview but he's really good value too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The series has been great. The only one I skipped was Suzi Quatro, she was copping a strop about them not playing her xmas single and I gave up on it. It might have got better, but not much of a sense of humour was being exhibited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

The series has been great. The only one I skipped was Suzi Quatro, she was copping a strop about them not playing her xmas single and I gave up on it. It might have got better, but not much of a sense of humour was being exhibited.

 

She's always been a stropmeister.... I often find myself turning over if/when she comes on TV....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

The series has been great. The only one I skipped was Suzi Quatro, she was copping a strop about them not playing her xmas single and I gave up on it. It might have got better, but not much of a sense of humour was being exhibited.

Just listened to that - it’s painful. Love the way the put it front-and-centre of the interview. That’ll teach her.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There was a good one with Mark King. That bloke can talk :)

Edited by bassment73
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the interviewees have a neat line in profanity too, I've noted.  Rock 'n' f**king Roll - phew! :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have listened to the David Crosby, Billy Corgan and Tim Burgess ones - all 3 were really good

Only 20-odd left to go 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giles Martin very informative on the Beatles. Never heard him speak before.

BernieMarsden...Same tales as his book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nearly finished the Nile Rogers one - what a treat!  Really entertaining.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Suzi Quatro one was comedy gold. Just in case anybody hasn't heard it yet, she had a new Xmas single out that really returns to her Detroit roots - EVERYBODY kept telling her.

Boy George and Lol Creme came across very well. There's been a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere so far (apart from Ms Q).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bass Culture said:

Nearly finished the Nile Rogers one - what a treat!  Really entertaining.

That one was really good. The guy is a legend. The Jonny Marr one was really interesting too - he's very articulate about explaining music.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoyed the John Taylor, Brian Johnson and David Coverdale ones so far. Alice Cooper was a little dull...

Hmm.... which one next?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...