Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

mattbass6

Im not aiming this at BD specifically but Ive been in and out of guitar shops my entire life and yes its the same ole thing..total disinterest in the customer in the majority.

And that's the thing, and I cannot believe nobodys mentioned it.....Working in a guitar store has to be the most frustratingly miserable way to earn a living imaginable. Kids coming in twiddling this and that then leaving without buying anything, that constant cacaphony all day everyday. 

I almost like the bad customer attitude is part of the game...its part and parcel of the deal. 

Dealing with a guitar store is gonna be an unpleasant experience, its the way it is.  I almost applaud the staff for showing disinterest....probably keeps them sane at the end of the day.

• Haha 1

Nope if you work in any shop you need to put customer satisfaction first and foremost. If you can't do that you really shouldn't be working in a shop.

It may well be frustrating but most shops of any kind probably have the same issues.

I worked in chemical and gas industry and our customers always came first. No matter what their query was you needed to bend over backwards to keep them satisfied.

When you've dealt with the electronics giants like Motorola and NEC they can be be very picky and think everything going wrong in their yield is your fault and you need to prove them wrong. 

If you want to keep the money coming in you have to accept the issues that arise from your customers. 

As much as i appreciate working in a shop of any kind is not the best paid job in the world but surely its a work ethic that counts and makes you want to do the best you can.

I'm exactly the same with my bands. I put in 100% in everything i do to ensure my customers get a good show when they've paid out decent money for a ticket. 

Dave

• Like 2

Must agree, it can be hard for some employees.

I always liked our customers...….pity I couldn't say the same for my boss.

I did notice the longer I was there (14 years or thereabouts, part time, then full time), I tended

to lose interest in some stuff like PA, but you have to have it in you to like people, and enjoy what you're doing.

However, the whole shop atmosphere can be poisoned, if somebody decides to take their problems out on the rest of the staff.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

After they've finished...

"was that hard to play? because it was hard to listen to."

Many years ago I tried out a Spector in a London store and tried my 'wickety wickets' slap style. The sales guy was 'wow you are some player' no doubt hoping his words would help with a sale. I knew I was total shite, put down the bass and walked out

Edited by leroydiamond
  • Haha 2

Two or three years ago I took my (then) 14 year old daughter with me to BD to try out, and eventually buy, a 1974 Jazz. Ended up having a very pleasant chat with Mark, well more of a listen really but it was fine. He complimented my daughter on her playing… but said nothing about mine. 

• Haha 2

Mark needs to recruit, train and manage his staff better than he does. They lost my business by taking payment for a £1500 item that was not in stock and it appears was never going to be, and then when I contacted them they pretty much blanked me, forcing me to get PayPal involved to secure a refund. Mark was away at the time, which perhaps explains the problem, but even so it’s still his responsibility. He should make sure his staff don’t lose him customers as the result of poor training and poor systems

• Like 4

The main problem (in my opinion based on several interactions) with BD is Marcus (not Mark). Unbelievably rude and arrogant - acts in such a condescending and patronising way, absolutely no excuse for that - it's been something that's been said on here many many times. Honestly, I don't understand why Mark keeps him around. Lose him, hire someone that can at least act like they give a single toss, and BD would hugely benefit.

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, greavesbass said:

And that's the thing, and I cannot believe nobodys mentioned it.....Working in a guitar store has to be the most frustratingly miserable way to earn a living imaginable. Kids coming in twiddling this and that then leaving without buying anything, that constant cacaphony all day everyday. 

I almost like the bad customer attitude is part of the game...its part and parcel of the deal. 

Dealing with a guitar store is gonna be an unpleasant experience, its the way it is.  I almost applaud the staff for showing disinterest....probably keeps them sane at the end of the day.

Bass direct is on an industrial estate in Warwick , which probably has zero footfall compared to the guitar shops in Denmark Street where everybody come in has a twiddle and then leaves without buying anything . Most people who visit will have driven there with the express purpose to buy , or at least be interested in something the shop has to offer . For myself , it involves an expensive ferry crossing and 300 mile round trip , but it’s worth it to try out the different amps and cabs which are not available anywhere else and get some forthright advise from the proprietor of the establishment.

( most of the people who worked in guitar shops in London were wannabe rock stars who were only interested in themselves , hence there lack of interest in the customer ) 

I agree 100% , if the support staff are not up to the job , find someone who is . 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wavemaker said:

To the contrary, I‘ve found Marcus to be very helpful, quick with a reply (and an apology, if needed), actually. 

I suppose it depends on what side of the bed he's gotten up on. My experience is just that, my experience. Glad to hear that at least some have had a far better experience! 

On 07/08/2023 at 19:40, marcus bell said:

Hi - Marcus here from Bass Direct, firstly a big apology to anyone who has not received first class service from any of us who work at the shop, it’s simply not good enough.

The first point i would like to make is that the old site had no stock control system on it whatsoever, and relied on me or the other guys relaying items that had sold to Mark, who at the time was the only person with any access to the website to modify/adjust etc.

Secondly, in terms of any late payments, missed payments etc, me and the colleagues have nothing to do with payments or accounting, we never have done, this solely lies with Mark, who currently is on holiday and continues to be until late August (so these can be slow), all we can do as colleagues again is pass on information to him and hope things are processed as quickly as possible.

In terms of actual service in the shop and via emails, we really do try our best, it’s not easy when juggling a thousand jobs at once, especially when it comes to incorrect stock levels and general misinformation, which is something that should (mostly) be a thing of the past due to the new website with live stock levels, bare with us while we get everything completely sorted and up to date on this.

If anyone has any outstanding issues or wants to talk openly about anything regarding previous orders or current issues then please make any emails out to me and I will personally see that they are dealt with with the most urgency, failing that just drop me a private message here.

Sorry again on my behalf and I can only say I will be better from here on.

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I thought it was Marcus that left to work for Simms / Enfield as his girlfriend was the daughter of the owner. 

Sounds like i might be wrong if people are still dealing with Marcus at BD.

Dave

Still there in August

• Thanks 1

Sounds like its been taken on board and hopefully all will be better in future.

Some valid points made by Marcus even tho it all now falls on Mark's shoulders as to why its not working.

I guess it must be difficult for an owner to relinquish some responsibility and ownership.

Its usually my first port of call when looking for new gear.

Dave

On 24/10/2023 at 23:24, Mike said:

I've had a few slightly negative experiences (and one broadly positive) with BD in the last few years which I didn't feel totally comfortable posting here. I was actually driving past the shop in the last week (it's hundreds of miles from me) and I opted to book an appt at BassBros instead as I didn't want to go away with that disappointed feeling again. 

However: today I was after a particular preamp and BD had it at a good (the best) price, so I took a punt, and within practically minutes it was on its way to Royal Mail and it should be with me tomorrow - absolutely great (online!) service!

Came the next day as suggested, great service. Speedy and a good price.

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I thought it was Marcus that left to work for Simms / Enfield as his girlfriend was the daughter of the owner. 

Sounds like i might be wrong if people are still dealing with Marcus at BD.

Dave

He just replied to my email promptly, after I thanked them for their quick service.

In general I have had good experiences with BD and I will continue to use them. I did have one major beef which was them mis-weighing a bass. I have a glass back and weight is important to me (even more so now, after busting 13 ribs plus shoulder/sternum/left hand in a horse accident in March). The bass I bought (a Ric) was heavier than advertised and I ended up having to sell on eBay for my usual loss. They do now weigh basses individually and I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

6 hours ago, Clarky said:

In general I have had good experiences with BD and I will continue to use them. I did have one major beef which was them mis-weighing a bass. I have a glass back and weight is important to me (even more so now, after busting 13 ribs plus shoulder/sternum/left hand in a horse accident in March). The bass I bought (a Ric) was heavier than advertised and I ended up having to sell on eBay for my usual loss. They do now weigh basses individually and I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

They should have taken it back and refunded you, even if it was on commission. Misrepresentation pure and simple.

• Like 4

I was at an event for four days recently.  Brought av gear for a programme of talksn not knowing how bad the acoustics and background noise would be. Tried to locate a source for a clip on mike. Not many  music shopsv in easy reach, rang BD first on the offchance they might have something, as I would have appreciateda chance to visit.  Got a dismissive "we sell basses" and the phone virtually put down on me before I could ask if they know anywhere that might such a thing.

A little courtesy would not have hurt. Ok, I'm not a big customer but I dropped well over a grand on my LAST visit.

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I was at an event for four days recently.  Brought av gear for a programme of talksn not knowing how bad the acoustics and background noise would be. Tried to locate a source for a clip on mike. Not many  music shopsv in easy reach, rang BD first on the offchance they might have something, as I would have appreciateda chance to visit.  Got a dismissive "we sell basses" and the phone virtually put down on me before I could ask if they know anywhere that might such a thing.

A little courtesy would not have hurt. Ok, I'm not a big customer but I dropped well over a grand on my LAST visit.

Well, they effed that up then, because here you are telling lots of bass players how bloody rude they've been.  Idiot(s).

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

100% agree a little courtesy and helpful advice would have gone a long way.

I just don't understand all of this. They sell bass gear but being nice to bassists who are customers shouldn't even be something we are discussing here. Its a given as far as i'm concerned.

Such a shame and a worry to be hearing all these shocking stories.

I'll still use BD as my first port of call until i get any sign of a poor response and that will put me off using any shop again.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...