Why become a member? ×

Sky Arts and other music related programmes

PaulWarning

Totally agree @Lozz196.

Musically it's his bass that drives the songs, I always feel that his bass is the songs and the guitar is the aggressive attitude. 

I feel privileged to be in a band that always features a handful of Jam songs in every set, add to that some Specials, Small Faces, Who, etc and it really is bass heaven, and the rest of the band realise the bass is driving things and want it loud and upfront. 

Oh I miss gigging. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Just watching The Jam, Bruce Foxton really doesn’t get the credit he deserves, his playing is both very melodic and busy. Couple this with that he sings on most of the songs as well as I think it’s a shame that he’s often overlooked with Paul Weller occupying the genius position.

Weller gets most of the credit because he's the singer (sort of) and attributed as the song writer, which is a bummer for bass players, where for instance, would Tube Station be without the bass line, one of my favourite Jam songs (there are a lot) is News of the World, a Foxton song.

Having said all that Weller did go on and have a successful career outside of the Jam

34 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

New film doc about Poly Styrene of X-Ray Spex......... Sky Arts 9pm Saturday 6th March.

From what I gather it's told from the perspective of Poly's daughter Celeste.

Really looking forward to this..... one of my heroes!

Agreed, can't wait.

7 minutes ago, steantval said:

Waiting for the Brian Johnson interview with Paul Rodgers to come up, I hope haven’t already missed it.

I've seen them in the listings on and off so they do seem to come around again (e.g., I first saw the Joe Walsh episode a few months ago). I believe Paul Rodgers is next in the series (#6 of 6), Joe Walsh being episode #5..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This evening (Sat 6th March) is good one for old punks! I am going to watch The Public Image Is Rotten (2018), a £0.99p rental from Amazon Prime and try and finish that just in time for...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 01/03/2021 at 11:34, Nail Soup said:

New film doc about Poly Styrene of X-Ray Spex......... Sky Arts 9pm Saturday 6th March.

From what I gather it's told from the perspective of Poly's daughter Celeste.

Really looking forward to this..... one of my heroes!

One of Mrs Riva’s musical idols.

She’s most impressed that I told her about the programme. Less so, and a little bemused, that I found out about it from an online Internet forum dedicated to the bass guitar - “this is the modern world”, though not for Mrs Riva!

This Sky Arts thread is an absolute winner!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

This evening (Sat 6th March) is good one for old punks! I am going to watch The Public Image Is Rotten (2018), a £0.99p rental from Amazon Prime and try and finish that just in time for...

Haven't got time to watch it, too busy arguing what's punk and what's not on another thread. 😂😂

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Teebs said:

It's tonight. 9pm!

:)

Will be watching, but on the strength of one Johnson programme (Joe Walsh) won't be expecting too much.

I was a mega Free fan, but missed them live - did see Bad Co's London debut (second ever gig) but it didn't compare.

The great thing about Free was that every band member thought they were the main man. Hence the constant edginess. Once Rodgers was installed as undisputed BC boss, he was never pushed to the same heights. Fabulous voice, but so often the albums felt he was operating within himself.

Johnson should empathise with him as a vocalist, but his ride round LA in a limo with Walsh felt like cheap TV and could have been so much more... Let's see!

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2021 at 11:57, Frank Blank said:

all recorded, and as of last night all watched.

some thoughts:

Poly: One of the main genius of punk. Sad that she had issues in her role as a mother, but glad that was eventually resolved

White Riot: I'd always taken RAR for granted, never knew much about the people behind it before. Good to be able to recognise them. Punk music appealed to disaffected white kids, and RAR did a great job of preventing NF etc from capitalising on that.

Pistols: Fantastic  performance from Cook/Matlock/Jones. Tight as a nats chuff. Equality great from Lydon, but more playful than the original days! Looked like the crowd were having an absolute ball.

Damned: Disclaimer -  I only like the Damned as a punk band, I don't get the developments they made later. Sorry! Sad to see the massive rift between Sensible and Scabies, seemingly about alleged sharp financial practice by Scabies. Sensible suggesting  they drop the only Scabies written track when they did a playback of the debut album.

Strange (and sad) co-incidence anecdote from Paul Gray. Paul was getting a cancer diagnosis and in an idle chat with the doctor revealed he's served a few years as Damned bassist. Doctor looked shocked.... He'd given a similar diagnosis to another Damned bassist the week before (Bryn from the Eliose era). Paul is still with us (and back in the Damned I think) but Bryn sadly passed in 2015:(.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

all recorded, and as of last night all watched.

some thoughts:

Poly: One of the main genius of punk. Sad that she had issues in her role as a mother, but glad that was eventually resolved

White Riot: I'd always taken RAR for granted, never knew much about the people behind it before. Good to be able to recognise them. Punk music appealed to disaffected white kids, and RAR did a great job of preventing NF etc from capitalising on that.

Pistols: Fantastic  performance from Cook/Matlock/Jones. Tight as a nats chuff. Equality great from Lydon, but more playful than the original days! Looked like the crowd were having an absolute ball.

Damned: Disclaimer -  I only like the Damned as a punk band, I don't get the developments they made later. Sorry! Sad to see the massive rift between Sensible and Scabies, seemingly about alleged sharp financial practice by Scabies. Sensible suggesting  they drop the only Scabies written track when they did a playback of the debut album.

Strange (and sad) co-incidence anecdote from Paul Gray. Paul was getting a cancer diagnosis and in an idle chat with the doctor revealed he's served a few years as Damned bassist. Doctor looked shocked.... He'd given a similar diagnosis to another Damned bassist the week before (Bryn from the Eliose era). Paul is still with us (and back in the Damned I think) but Bryn sadly passed in 2015:(.

I've only watched the Poly and Damned ones so far, both didn't leave me particularly uplifted  to be honest, Poly obviously had severe Mental Health issues, and the Damned just seemed to bitter that they didn't receive the same accolades as the Pistols and the Clash and to spent their time slagging each other off.

Despite all bad feelings in the band they have a reunion tour, all original members, planned this year, don't know whether its' still happening with the Covid thing going down 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

Will be watching, but on the strength of one Johnson programme (Joe Walsh) won't be expecting too much.

I was a mega Free fan, but missed them live - did see Bad Co's London debut (second ever gig) but it didn't compare.

The great thing about Free was that every band member thought they were the main man. Hence the constant edginess. Once Rodgers was installed as undisputed BC boss, he was never pushed to the same heights. Fabulous voice, but so often the albums felt he was operating within himself.

Johnson should empathise with him as a vocalist, but his ride round LA in a limo with Walsh felt like cheap TV and could have been so much more... Let's see!

I watched the Mick Fleetwood and Mark Knoffler ones and enjoyed them, didn't bother with Joe Walsh, sounds like a good move, will be watching the Paul Rodgers

11 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I watched the Mick Fleetwood and Mark Knoffler ones and enjoyed them, didn't bother with Joe Walsh, sounds like a good move, will be watching the Paul Rodgers

I watched all of them when they were first  shown ( IIRC there are two series?) and enjoyed the banter between Johnson and the guests though some were better than others.

I was disappointed by the Joe Walsh one, LOVED  the Mark Knopfler one (their Geordie bond was great to see) and very pleasantly surprised by the Dolly Parton episode.

• Like 1