Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

• 1 month later...

Just acquired a RM800, which I'm coupling with a BF210. My future dev path may be RM210 cabs with upgraded drivers as recommended by that nice David Green at Ashdown.

One thing puzzles me.  When I plug my Cort A6 (active) into the active port on the amp things go much quieter and dead sounding. I've checked the Bass battery and that's fine. Anyone use the active hole?

Edited by lownote

5 minutes ago, lownote said:

Just acquired a RM800, which I'm coupling with a BF210. My future dev path may be RM210 cabs with upgraded drivers as recommended by that nice David Green at Ashdown.

One thing puzzles me.  When I plug my Cort A6 (active) into the active port on the amp things go much quieter and dead sounding. I've checked the Bass battery and that's fine. Anyone use the active hole?

There's quite a lot of attenuation on the active input. Either turn up the input gain or just use the passive input and maybe turn the input gain down a little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lownote said:

5 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

There's quite a lot of attenuation on the active input. Either turn up the input gain or just use the passive input and maybe turn the input gain down a little.

Yep, I've never used an Active input, always use the passive input and adjust the Gain to suit.

• Thanks 1

I had the RM800 EVO 2 and it was a fine amp 

Apparently ( mine never did from new ) if you have too much input gain the needle goes hard over to the right as expected but the light change to Red !

I could never make this happen even with everything maxed so I suspect mine didn’t work as designed 

They are very close to the ABM heads in tone and with the right speakers sound wonderful 

I found mine sounded fuller with ported cabs ( the standard compact series etc ) 

2 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

I had the RM800 EVO 2 and it was a fine amp 

Apparently ( mine never did from new ) if you have too much input gain the needle goes hard over to the right as expected but the light change to Red !

I could never make this happen even with everything maxed so I suspect mine didn’t work as designed 

They are very close to the ABM heads in tone and with the right speakers sound wonderful 

I found mine sounded fuller with ported cabs ( the standard compact series etc ) 

I can't get it to go red either.  As I crank the gain up I start to get flashes of green in the VU meter and these get more frequent.  But even flat out the needle won't go fully over to the rright, and at no stage do I get a red flash.

I am indebted to you for your suggested EQ settings, outlined earlier in this thread. Perfect for my fretless with flats.

Edited by lownote

• 3 months later...

Used my RM500 this evening at our gig, into the venues Orange OBC410. Great sound and did make things a lot easier than the night before when I used my ABM600. Given me a bit of a quandary really, I love the ABM but for the stages I’m playing at the moment the RM is plenty for what I need. I suppose the answer is tools for the job, use whichever is best suited.

13 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Used my RM500 this evening at our gig, into the venues Orange OBC410. Great sound and did make things a lot easier than the night before when I used my ABM600. Given me a bit of a quandary really, I love the ABM but for the stages I’m playing at the moment the RM is plenty for what I need. I suppose the answer is tools for the job, use whichever is best suited.

I went through this and sold my first ABM600 only to miss it and buy a new one !! 
At the time I had the RM800 EVO II which I eventually sold. 
They are both great amps 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, police squad said:

I have just scored an RM410 Evo II  cab on ebay

Will be collecting tomorrow, it's in fantastic condition and was a bargain.

I have a new band project which may need a slightly bigger cab than my pub set up

That`s what I have. Great cab and not too big and bulky for a 4 x 10.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2022 at 16:19, Lozz196 said:

They’re nice sounding cabs, and a lot more manageable than the ABM cabs due to the weight and smaller dimensions.

indeed. They really are quite compact. I'll give it a blast later. I might take the day off today. I have a stinking cold and have had very little sleep again (on top of yesterdays 400 mile round trip to collect said cab. (I had to go quite a way for a work thing, then just added collection on top))

I've had my Evo for a few months now and love it. However, one thing I noticed is that if I use the Active socket, the output is super low. I usually use my passive Jazz or Precision in the Passive socket and the output is fine but when I plug my active Stingray into the Active socket it is super quiet.

Is this normal or do I have an issue.

2 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I've had my Evo for a few months now and love it. However, one thing I noticed is that if I use the Active socket, the output is super low. I usually use my passive Jazz or Precision in the Passive socket and the output is fine but when I plug my active Stingray into the Active socket it is super quiet.

Yep quite normal.  I've never ever used the active input. You'd only ever need to use if if the output on your bass was so hot that it was overdriving the input even at its lowest setting. Maybe if the bass has active pickups (as opposed to an onboard preamp/active circuit)....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Muppet said:

Yep quite normal.  I've never ever used the active input. You'd only ever need to use if if the output on your bass was so hot that it was overdriving the input even at its lowest setting. Maybe if the bass has active pickups (as opposed to an onboard preamp/active circuit)....

Ok perfect, thank you very much for your help.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:47, Linus27 said:

I think the active inputs are there for older active basses that had vert high outputs, Most modern active basses have a gain/output similar to passive basses. I have a Marcus Miller and with the active tone controls flat, the volume is that same as when it is switched to passive.

• Like 2