Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, circuito said:

Hi,

on my Rootmaster 800 Evo the Green led on the back of the Vu meter don't work. Someone of you have this problem?

Mine is fine.  It flashes on and off. Is your VU needle moving? 

• Thanks 1

Yes, the vu meter needle moving and the Red light work fine for the peak .

Edit: I replaced the green light with a brighter one and now it works. Is it normal that when I'm at peak the red light comes on and the green doesn't go out?

Edited by circuito

On 03/01/2023 at 15:04, circuito said:

Yes, the vu meter needle moving and the Red light work fine for the peak .

Edit: I replaced the green light with a brighter one and now it works. Is it normal that when I'm at peak the red light comes on and the green doesn't go out?

I assume so - mine does that.

• 5 weeks later...

Looking at upgrading my set up. Thinking of pairing a ABM 300 IV amp with a 115, either a ABM pro neo or the RM cab. Middle aged newbie, so home use with potential jamming in the future. From the specs the ABM amp is wider than the RM cab, can anyone comment on how it would look? Given both cabs are lightweight ply and the metal grill is neither here nor there, how different are the pro neo  from the RM speakers? Unfortunately, none near me so can't try before I buy.

On 05/02/2023 at 00:32, The Simon Of OZ said:

Looking at upgrading my set up. Thinking of pairing a ABM 300 IV amp with a 115, either a ABM pro neo or the RM cab. Middle aged newbie, so home use with potential jamming in the future. From the specs the ABM amp is wider than the RM cab, can anyone comment on how it would look? Given both cabs are lightweight ply and the metal grill is neither here nor there, how different are the pro neo  from the RM speakers? Unfortunately, none near me so can't try before I buy.

I went from the RM115s to Pro Neo 115s... And RM500 amp to ABM600.  Weight-wise they are the same, the Pro Neo isn't noticeably loads bigger. In terms of sound I used the Pro Neo cabs with the RM head so could compare the cabs directly. The ABM Pro Neo has a more "full" sound than the RM. The RM is very good, but the Pro Neo is just better. If you're only using at home the difference would be negligible.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am gigging the RM 800. I love the flexibility of this amp. Currently running it with EQ out and no shape to get a good understanding of my Sansamp stuff as pre amps. I do like the shape though, so I'm afraid I'm going to enter "tinker mode" very soon. I usually use my Ashdown 2x10 cab, (albeit now fitted with 2 x 250w eminence speakers in 4 ohm config), but I like to run one of my 4 x 10s for larger venues.

Plenty of headroom and a ton of features. Why would you not own one?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought my little RM rig home. RM EVO II 500w and 2x10. Sold it a year ago and the need for an amp and cab has just resurrected itself. Funnily enough, the person who bought it listed it a few days ago, used once in the year, along with my old Roqsolid cab cover, Ashdown amp bag and cables, £400. 
Bit his hand off to get it back and have been pleasantly reminded of what a fantastic setup this is. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/02/2022 at 12:42, Waddycall said:

Anyone else noticed interference in the signal from the green VU light on the RM800 evo 2? Mines been back to Ashdown with this twice and has come back the same. It’s very faint and only audible if the treble is cranked right up but is there.

Yes. That's my only issue with this head (that and the stupid taper of the output pot). It's an overly sensitive limiter. It's squashing my signal before it's even registering -10 on the VU. Through a speaker, it's not noticeable. But, through the DI, it's squashing and distorting my signal. Dave told me to exchange it. But, I bought it off their website, and I live in America. He hasn't gotten back to me again yet.

Has anyone here tried to bypass the limiter yet?

Edited by JeezyMcNuggles

On 24/03/2023 at 18:23, JeezyMcNuggles said:

Yes. That's my only issue with this head (that and the stupid taper of the output pot). It's an overly sensitive limiter. It's squashing my signal before it's even registering -10 on the VU. Through a speaker, it's not noticeable. But, through the DI, it's squashing and distorting my signal. Dave told me to exchange it. But, I bought it off their website, and I live in America. He hasn't gotten back to me again yet.

Has anyone here tried to bypass the limiter yet?

I'll check mine out through the DI but in general, the green light doesn't indicate clipping - green is ok. When it clips it flashes red.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2023 at 12:50, Muppet said:

I'll check mine out through the DI but in general, the green light doesn't indicate clipping - green is ok. When it clips it flashes red.

Okay, so I've got the problem figured out. It's not a clipping problem. It's even even an input problem at all. It's actually that the green LED is introducing noise in to the signal. The more intense it shines, the more intense the noise.

I made another video. A DI one this time. Check it out.

Edited by JeezyMcNuggles

8 hours ago, JeezyMcNuggles said:

I can't, for the life of me, make a red LED come on though. Even if I push it into actual clipping. Audiable clipping. To my best judgment, there is no actual clipping light on this amp. Just a noisy green one.

I think an email to Ashdown would be a good idea.  Flashing LEDs do not in themselves usually cause Audio noise. 

i don’t have an RM, rather a Retroglide 800 and that only flashes a pale yellow.

5 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I think an email to Ashdown would be a good idea.  Flashing LEDs do not in themselves usually cause Audio noise. 

i don’t have an RM, rather a Retroglide 800 and that only flashes a pale yellow.

I did contact them. Dave said that guy and George were making me a video on how to use the amp.

I really just want a refund, or a repair.

Well, here's the update.

Dave watched that last video I made, and he experimented with another rm head. He's found the same issue in that one. He said he's going to revamp the rm range, and he's going to handle my return as well.

Gotta say, I am very happy to hear that.

I also told him to use a more linear output pot when he updates the line up.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, goonerjoe said:

hi all. Recently purchased a BF Super Twin and am looking for a new amp to go through it. The RM800 Evo II seems to tick every box - does anyone have any experience with this combo?

Yes - I used that set up for a year or so and was very pleased with it. I still have the head. I only sold the cab as I didn't need anything that big anymore.

On 03/04/2023 at 09:52, fretmeister said:

Yes - I used that set up for a year or so and was very pleased with it. I still have the head. I only sold the cab as I didn't need anything that big anymore.

I also used an RM800 with a Super Twelve for four gigging years. Immense sound and tone. Great combination. But eventually I was just too much so I have gone small and light. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have an RM-800 EVO II. I am purchasing a pair of DT 770 PRO Studio Headphones to use for silant practice and am unsure of which ohms to get for best audio results. They are available in 32 / 80 / or 250ohms. The 80 ohm being the truest (flat) the 250 ohm needingthe most power to push. But I am unable to find any info on how powerful the headphone preamp is. Suggestions??

8 minutes ago, Canuchuck said:

I have an RM-800 EVO II. I am purchasing a pair of DT 770 PRO Studio Headphones to use for silant practice and am unsure of which ohms to get for best audio results. They are available in 32 / 80 / or 250ohms. The 80 ohm being the truest (flat) the 250 ohm needingthe most power to push. But I am unable to find any info on how powerful the headphone preamp is. Suggestions??

Might be worth giving ashdown a call and speak to Dave Green, they are very helpful there